Visa run to Kuala Lumpur

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Agree, but not entirely

KL is HOT right now...no doubt about it. In fact, it seems to me that KL will soon blow Singapore right out of the water (no pun intended over the water issue). Just my personal observation. And Malaysia has a lot more to offer than just KL as a tourist destination. Best airport in SE Asia is hands down, KL. Too bad it's such a long way from downtown KL. And what a bore...the drive from the airport to KL...way TOO far, especially after a long international flight. Bad planning there my good friend!

The other problem is with local hotels close to KL airport. Used by in transit passengers, I can assure you, they are "dumps."

It seems to me obvious enough that if Malaysia wants to attract international tourists, that the whole area around KL’s world class airport, would be as “world class” as the airport itself. First impressions are important…actually, they are the essence of business.

For me, my personal choice has been, and will likely remain Bangkok for VISA runs. Bangkok is THE favored VISA run for virtually every expat I know here in Bali. Sure, the airfare is more, but the week or so stay, hotel, meals and fun is hard to compete with. The Indonesian Embassy there is great. It’s never crowded, easy to deal with, and efficient as can be imagined. Missing something? No problem, they (at the Indo-Bangkok Embassy) will help you.

After years and years of repetitively showing up there, it’s just great when every six months, as you walk in you are recognized and hailed…”Pak Roy…apa kabar?” My “visa interviews” are an hour or so of conversation with latest news from the “home front.”

I'm not "knocking" KL or Malaysia my good friend. It has a WHOLE lot going for it, and will no doubt emerge as one of THE top three ASEAN members. Of this, I have no doubts. In fact, one could effectively argue that Malaysia is already there...among the top three of ASEAN members.

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
Roy

we have a Speed Train from KLCC to city center now. Read the forum I gave the link to. It's very fast :)
Actually I love Bangkok too, am there very 2 weeks or so for business.
I just wanted to point to the fact that KL is MUCH cheaper than Singapore, and, in fact, also more convenient. People won't even notice the small difference in flight time - just 20 mins :)

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
I would recommend

MAS (Malaysian Airline System). Very reliable and safe, good service. But maybe you can even find a roundtrip DP <> KL for a cheap rate with a travel agent? I saw some offers last time I was there.