visa run to KL

velive

Aug 3, 2018
Hello everyone.

I will be doing a visa run to KL for the first time in a few days. I am simply departing from DPS and returning on the same day.

I booked roundtrip with Air Asia. First flight 1:35pm - 4:35pm. Return flight: 7:35pm-10:35pm.

There was one return flight which left earlier but because I don't know the KL airport and leaving room for the chance of a late arrival/long immigration wait, I thought it would best to leave 3 hours.

Is there anything I should be aware of to ensure everything goes smoothly?

I have heard the KL airport is vast - but I'm guessing the transition from AirAsia Arrivals to AirAsia departures should be fairly straightforward?

Any useful information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
never done a visa run but have been to kl airport few times.
air asia ops out of a second terminal which is like a short auto train ride from the main. As i work for a airline dont be surprised to find you may be on the same plane back to bali. this info was correct like 18months ago...you shouldnt have to change terminals for the return trip

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Don't forget to pick-up your duty-free booze allowance (1 litre).

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Thought I'd tack this question here as its about visa runs.
Is there any particular reason KL and Singapore are the favs? Flight times to Darwin i think are shorter. Is it that the cost of flights to DRW are more expensive or am i missing something basic ie schedules, arrival times etc. Just curious
cheers

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thought I'd tack this question here as its about visa runs.
Is there any particular reason KL and Singapore are the favs? Flight times to Darwin i think are shorter. Is it that the cost of flights to DRW are more expensive or am i missing something basic ie schedules, arrival times etc. Just curious
cheers

Your geography is way-off Juggler....
JKT-DRW is1493 nm and on average is a 4 hour flight.
JKT-SIN is 476 nm and on average is a 1.30 min flight.
JKT-KUL is 609 nm and on average is a 1.55 min flight

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Ummm but from DPS (where I will be) is closer , is it not?
and why are you up so early?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
1.Ummm but from DPS (where I will be) is closer , is it not?
and 2. why are you up so early?

In that case....
1. DPS-DRW is 950 nm and on average is a 2.45 min flight.
2. That's a personal question and none of your business.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Although the flight times DPS to SIN and DPS to DRW are similar, since AirAsia pulled out of Darwin, the price for DPS-DRW-DPS flights has increased dramatically. Jetstar now has a monopoly.

Also takes 5 working days to get a social visa in Darwin. No one-day service available like in KUL or SIN.

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
ok thx Matsaleh. The airfares arnt the issue for me but the 5 day visa turn around explains why its not so popular. Having friends in DRW and staff tickets DRW maybe a good excuse to mix it up abit cheers

Reactions: matsaleh

velive

Aug 3, 2018
Completed my trip and wanted to update this thread to share my experience in case it might be helpful to someone else doing this visa run for the first time.

Three hours between flights turned out to be perfect. Immigration lines were long both entering and departing from KL, so waiting consumed a lot of time. The second security check at departure also took awhile as they were doing a lot more screening there.

It is no problem getting from arrivals to departures in the Air Asia terminal. Arrivals is located on the first level and departures of the second. After you pass immigration and circle around through the baggage claim area you need simply walk straight to the end of the building where there is an escalator with a sign above indicating departures.

When you arrive on the departures level there are some signs indicating the way to the gates but I myself did not see any that actually specified "domestic" or "international" so I was a bit confused at first. It turns out the domestic gates are located on the far left side, and international on the far right side when you walk toward the back of the building past the check in counters.

There is only one water dispenser in the Q departure hall, but just keep walking - you will find it. If you depart from P, I understand there is one water dispenser in that hall as well.