Visa on arrival for Dutch people ?

G

What is the current situation for Dutch people : do they get a Visa on arrival when arriving at Denpasar airport ?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert, I've often wondered, and asked, why is that? Is it some sort of "pay back" for centuries of Dutch colonialism and Indonesia's post WWII fight for independence? Or is there something more to it?

I never seem to get any sort of "real" answer from either Indonesians, or Dutch expats that I've posed this question.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Visa on arrival for Dutch people ?

Roy said:
I never seem to get any sort of "real" answer from either Indonesians, or Dutch expats that I've posed this question.

Because we forgot. 8)

(allthough I had a discussion once with one of my former Balinese girlfriends about her Grandfather who was killed by de Dutch, and my Uncle that was killed by the Indonesians, but we we also talked about the English, who supposed to have made the roads here, and we therefore have to drive on the wrong side of the road)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I believe that it may have to do with the separatist movement known as the Republik Maluku Selatan (RMS). Following the crushing of the RMS by the central Government, thousands of these Christian Ambonese were repatriated to Holland. Since that time, they have lived on the fringes of Dutch society, dreaming of their eventual return to liberate their homeland.

For many years, the Dutch used them as a weapon against Indonesia, especially during the Indonesia - Holland confrontation over the sovereignty of Irian Jaya. Now, the Dutch Government has completely abandoned them, as Holland and Indonesia seek to forge a close partnership. But the Ambonese are still in Holland, dreaming of liberating their country, and the Indonesian Government may be still weary of them.

Since the VOA was instituted by the Indonesian Government for "security reasons," it would seem logical (but are bureaucrats logical?). However, one will note that prior to the advent of the VAO, the Indonesian did not seem to be concerned with the Ambonese residing in Holland. As soon as the "security reasons" was invoked, I am sure some a**hole in Jakarta must have jumped to his feet and screamed "What about the RMS?"

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
From Balidiscovery.com - 07 Sept 05

Local tourism circles and the press have hinted that Holland is being barred for historical reasons and ill-will felt by certain individuals in the inner circle of Cabinet Ministers and Presidential Advisors towards the Dutch. Meanwhile, Sweden has reportedly been eliminated from the list as a result of the political sanctuary that country offers to leaders of the Aceh Independence Movement (GAM).

Full article here: http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/m ... 1&Text=voa