P

paulseawind

GD, how was your Villa experience, overall? I had a quick squizz on the internet after you mentioned the name and the photos made it look absolutely smashing. I thought 'he will be enjoying that, for sure'.

Where 1 is it was awful and 10 is it was heavenly, how would you rate it?
I would hope in the high end.

Your son - what were his final comments. 'Dad, that was awesome'?

And, did it make you start to think about moving here into something like that?
I'd hope so.
Living here isn't 100% easy but it's dang close to it.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
GD, how was your Villa experience, overall? I had a quick squizz on the internet after you mentioned the name and the photos made it look absolutely smashing. I thought 'he will be enjoying that, for sure'.

Where 1 is it was awful and 10 is it was heavenly, how would you rate it?
I would hope in the high end.

Your son - what were his final comments. 'Dad, that was awesome'?

And, did it make you start to think about moving here into something like that?
I'd hope so.
Living here isn't 100% easy but it's dang close to it.

First of all when places take pics it normally doesn't look as good as in real life.
This place was the reverse the pics didn't do it justice. Uma Sapna 19/132 hotels in Seminyak.
I had booked somewhere else but was allowed cancellation , the place had good reviews but looked tired.
price over $400 per night(dont know rates at other times of year)
I send her sister who lives between Melbourne and Jl Raya Seminyak to go on her Scoopy and have a look.
She immediately told me to book as its brilliant and there is 1 villa left and they wont hold it, so i did without cancellation which made me nervous.
Everything was quality throughout from toiletries ,robes, slippers, towels, bed, bedding ,wardrobes furniture etc
The place is immaculate when they clean its a team of 10 who do do it including pool and garden very productive(must be western owned).
There is a lot of attention to detail like mozzie lotion , mozzie spray in bedrooms and they come at 5pm and light mozzie coils in open living area.
Service is great breakfast ordered by 2am comes within 10 mins of you calling and telling them your ready.
If you forget the night before no problem.
Room service is prompt ,even asked for Imodium and was delivered in 5 mins the staff are friendly but unobtrusive.
Breakfast comes from Kilo which is part of Uma Sapna and is rated no 2 restaurant in Seminyak.
Location was excellent only 5 mins to Eat st and 5 mins to Jl Raya Seminyak the other way
Son loved it ,wife loved it. Davita has mentioned staying here before i dont know his comments
If you built a villa like this i dont think it would be too expensive it was a shell with wall down the middle for bedrooms and an open kitchen with 1 wall and 2 half walls
the maintenance would be pretty easy with a pool and lawn with minimal garden running around.
I could really handle living in a villa like this(although not much storage)

9/10

Last edited:
P

paulseawind

First of all when places take pics it normally doesn't look as good as in real life.
This place was the reverse the pics didn't do it justice. Uma Sapna 19/132 hotels in Seminyak.
I had booked somewhere else but was allowed cancellation , the place had good reviews but looked tired.
price over $400 per night(dont know rates at other times of year)
I send her sister who lives between Melbourne and Jl Raya Seminyak to go on her Scoopy and have a look.
She immediately told me to book as its brilliant and there is 1 villa left and they wont hold it, so i did without cancellation which made me nervous.
Everything was quality throughout from toiletries ,robes, slippers, towels, bed, bedding ,wardrobes furniture etc
The place is immaculate when they clean its a team of 10 who do do it including pool and garden very productive(must be western owned).
There is a lot of attention to detail like mozzie lotion , mozzie spray in bedrooms and they come at 5pm and light mozzie coils in open living area.
Service is great breakfast ordered by 2am comes within 10 mins of you calling and telling them your ready.
If you forget the night before no problem.
Room service is prompt ,even asked for Imodium and was delivered in 5 mins the staff are friendly but unobtrusive.
Breakfast comes from Kilo which is part of Uma Sapna and is rated no 2 restaurant in Seminyak.
Location was excellent only 5 mins to Eat st and 5 mins to Jl Raya Seminyak the other way
Son loved it ,wife loved it. Davita has mentioned staying here before i dont know his comments
If you built a villa like this i dont think it would be too expensive it was a shell with wall down the middle for bedrooms and an open kitchen with 1 wall and 2 half walls
the maintenance would be pretty easy with a pool and lawn with minimal garden running around.
I could really handle living in a villa like this(although not much storage)

9/10

Fantastic. Sounds like yet another happy Australian family visiting Bali, choosing the Villa experience.
It's the way to go.

The Hotels are cheesed off they are losing to the Villa market but that's their problem. It's the choice of the customer and I reckon a nice Villa beats a Hotel room hands down. Every day.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Fantastic. Sounds like yet another happy Australian family visiting Bali, choosing the Villa experience.
It's the way to go.

The Hotels are cheesed off they are losing to the Villa market but that's their problem. It's the choice of the customer and I reckon a nice Villa beats a Hotel room hands down. Every day.

I know you haven't seen it, but very roughly(price range) how much to build that type of simple single storey villa

P

paulseawind

I know you haven't seen it, but very roughly(price range) how much to build that type of simple single storey villa

Depends, of course, on roof choice (alang-alang or tiles), furniture, how many rooms and their functions, interior ceiling height (I have 10 foot ceilings in both houses), how many bathrooms and toilets, what size terrace and what materials to lay it with. Many variations. But AUD250K should pull it all up for something you'd like.

Then there's the outdoors. Sw/pool. Bale. Fencing. I spent almost $AUD8K on fencing one acre with volcanic stone at a height of 1.85 metres. Total 50 + 85 + 50 + 80 metres. Solid stone fencing. It will stop a Toyota Land Cruiser.

And gardens. My neighbour spent big bux on a garden with pathways and lawns. On approx 2200 sq mtrs.

And electric pumps for irrigation and sw/pool filter.
Electrical wiring.
Lighting in the gardens.

It is nowhere near as costly as Australia though.

My property, if in Darwin, would be several million AUDs but here it's nowhere near that.

For $AUD500K you can buy an existing property with absolute beachfront, in the North. In Sanur, more expensive for sure.

P

paulseawind

And I would dearly like to hear from others on this website for their opinions from experience, on responding to your great question.
Such input would be very valuable for discussion.
Most definitely.

And, don't forget, if you build on small land, you have neighbours so close you can throw a boiled egg into their kitchen, not that you would.
If they play 'loud' music then you get to hear it.
There is a lot to be said for having a buffer and I have always enjoyed that, but not always had it.

And, don't build near a masjid because they broadcast 'noise' 3 times a day.
I can hear the broadcasts from Seririt (3 kms in a straight line), if I am awake around 4 to 4:30am.
There's nothing wrong with them doing that, just it's noisy if you aren't 'in the fold'.
Fortunately, it is a long way away but I can still hear it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We've stayed at Uma Sapna twice, once during Nyepi, but that was some years ago and the price was considerably less.
We also loved it and why we repeated our visit. The location was excellent although not near any beach...that would need transport or a long walk. It is better located for those shopping coholics or for those wanting night-life.....but available transport is directly outside the resort entrance.
I wouldn't call Uma Sapna a villa...it is a series of villas in a resort style area with an art gallery and open grass as common. The reception is in an older part and some way from some of the villas.
I know many similar villas built with open-plan living/kitchen/dining but imo...this is OK for a short holiday but not for permanent living. Storms could wash furniture into the pool and sometimes closing glass-sliding doors and using Air Conditioning is refreshing....whilst still retaining the garden/pool view.
I drew from the Uma Sapna experience when we bought our own villa and made some conversions.

Last edited:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
We've stayed at Uma Sapna twice, once during Nyepi, but that was some years ago and the price was considerably less.
We also loved it and why we repeated our visit. The location was excellent although not near any beach...that would need transport or a long walk. It is better located for those shopping coholics or for those wanting night-life.....but available transport is directly outside the resort entrance.
I wouldn't call Uma Sapna a villa...it is a series of villas in a resort style area with an art gallery and open grass as common. The reception is in an older part and some way from some of the villas.
I know many similar villas built with open-plan living/kitchen/dining but imo...this is OK for a short holiday but not for permanent living. Storms could wash furniture into the pool and sometimes closing glass-sliding doors and using Air Conditioning is refreshing....whilst still retaining the garden/pool view.
I drew from the Uma Sapna experience when we bought our own villa and made some conversions.

Glad you enjoyed it and used your experience to convert your own.
I have just checked price to end of April cheapest 2 bed villa $750 per night. We must have got a good deal.
Maybe reception has been renovated it looks good. Never thought of storms.
As for you Char Char grill recommendation. This place is real trendy and the place to be seen. Very busy however we all ( 7 of us ) thought the food to be average. Price was good for such a trendy place.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The cost of building a villa in Bali is a mater of where you are on the island - for instance a truck of sand in Seminyak will cost you around 1.6 million rupiah last I heard but now probably around 2. Here in the east you can get it for 800k.

Everything else, including the land you build on, is the same. Only down side here in East Bali can be that you might struggle to get building workers as many (by no means, all) are working down south as the wages are considerably higher. Here I can get Tukang ( master builders) for around 100k/day.

As to what you want to build - let your imagination run wild and build whatever your heart and mind can come up with - that's the beauty (one of ) Bali.