US to Bali (traveling all over the island, north and south alike) August-Sept, have baggage room to spare

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Anyone looking for anything special that you can't get there (legal items only, obviously) that you'd like me to haul across and bring you? No fee or anything, I've just got the room to spare and hate to waste it.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Anyone looking for anything special that you can't get there (legal items only, obviously) that you'd like me to haul across and bring you? No fee or anything, I've just got the room to spare and hate to waste it.
It is unfortunate that these days, with scams everywhere, that any genuine kind hearted offer is viewed with suspicion. On the face of it this offer might then be followed by a request for money to cover the purchase of the goods and then..... ? The offer coming from a new member and no reference to which parts of Indonesia the goods could be made available also raises questions. So someone in Flores wants goods and how exactly is the pick up arranged? Sorry, Orange Dragon but I would be surprised if you get any takers.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
It is unfortunate that these days, with scams everywhere, that any genuine kind hearted offer is viewed with suspicion. On the face of it this offer might then be followed by a request for money to cover the purchase of the goods and then..... ? The offer coming from a new member and no reference to which parts of Indonesia the goods could be made available also raises questions. So someone in Flores wants goods and how exactly is the pick up arranged? Sorry, Orange Dragon but I would be surprised if you get any takers.
Oh, I thought with it being a Bali forum, Bali was obvious. As for funds up front... I was thinking like favorite snacks from home/etc.... Not anything expensive enough to justify scamming, or up front cash... Don't pay me, fine, I'll eat your damn mars bars myself.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
To clarify further on locations: doing 2 nights close to the airport (the night I arrive and the next), then off to Lovina for a week, then Ubud for a week, then ??? For a week before heading back.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Oh, I thought with it being a Bali forum, Bali was obvious. As for funds up front... I was thinking like favorite snacks from home/etc.... Not anything expensive enough to justify scamming, or up front cash... Don't pay me, fine, I'll eat your damn mars bars myself.
Bali, yes that does narrow the geography somewhat. Sorry to be such a sceptic. According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Australians lost $2 billion to scammers last year so forgive us if we seem a bit toey. That said I would like to place an order for 2 dozen Vegemite, 6 packets of Weetbix and four litres of Moselle. Thanks though for the generous offer.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Bali, yes that does narrow the geography somewhat. Sorry to be such a sceptic. According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Australians lost $2 billion to scammers last year so forgive us if we seem a bit toey. That said I would like to place an order for 2 dozen Vegemite, 6 packets of Weetbix and four litres of Moselle. Thanks though for the generous offer.
See the second reply... specific areas listed. Vegemite I could make happen... I think. I know I can do marmite, because I buy it, Vegemite I'll have to look for. Wheetabix seems to offer a lot of products... Be more specific and I'll check Amazon. No alcoholic beverages though, don't want to deal with customs on that sort of thing.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Harryopal we have to give this poor bastard the benefit of the doubt and accept that his intentions are honourable or at least scam free..
OrangeDragon, as a non Australian we will cut you a bit, only a bit mind you, of slack and say that Marmite is absolutely no where near a substitute for Vegemite. Shane Warne, an Australian cricketing national hero who recently died last meal on earth was Vegemite on toast. What an epitaph.
Now as for Weetabix, I’m simply lost for words. “ How many Weetbix can you do” is not a advertising slogan but a fact of adolescent life, for boys primarily. They don’t even taste the same let alone have the adaptability of having a load of butter and Vegemite spread on them and eaten as a snack.
OrangeDragon I feel your heart is in the right place, the mere fact you are moving to Bali indicates this, so welcome to the Forum and I look forward to a having a beer with you.

Scott7

Jun 6, 2022
Dear OrangeDragon

If you are travelling via Perth - I have fishing rods and snorkels for some kids in Bali - Plus a Rice cooker. Seriously!!! If you can - I would be grateful

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Harryopal we have to give this poor bastard the benefit of the doubt and accept that his intentions are honourable or at least scam free..
OrangeDragon, as a non Australian we will cut you a bit, only a bit mind you, of slack and say that Marmite is absolutely no where near a substitute for Vegemite. Shane Warne, an Australian cricketing national hero who recently died last meal on earth was Vegemite on toast. What an epitaph.
Now as for Weetabix, I’m simply lost for words. “ How many Weetbix can you do” is not a advertising slogan but a fact of adolescent life, for boys primarily. They don’t even taste the same let alone have the adaptability of having a load of butter and Vegemite spread on them and eaten as a snack.
OrangeDragon I feel your heart is in the right place, the mere fact you are moving to Bali indicates this, so welcome to the Forum and I look forward to a having a beer with you.
I have had both... Maybe it's because I had marmite first, maybe it's an American pallet thing, but I prefer it. Both are good mind you, just a preference. Toast, little butter, little marmite... Heavenly snack before bed.

Never had a wheetabix... So can't judge there.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
And he drinks Moselle..yuk
Or Moscato. Wife prefers a sweet wine and can't afford two bottles so I have become used to the sweet wine. And for Dragon. Sorry, pulling your leg. I am not serious about the Vegemite and Weetbix.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Well then I quite understand your situation. The price of wine is so ridiculous I’d do exactly what you're doing.
I only drink beer and the duty free I bring with me, and a bit extra hidden in the luggage perhaps. If I lived there full time I’d have to make my own somehow.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Well then I quite understand your situation. The price of wine is so ridiculous I’d do exactly what you're doing.
I only drink beer and the duty free I bring with me, and a bit extra hidden in the luggage perhaps. If I lived there full time I’d have to make my own somehow.
I do home distilling... wine making is far from complicated (though, not sure how the laws there lean on it... but for personal consumption why would they even know). It does take a bit of experimentation to find your perfect recipe if you're after anything specific. Then from there (preferably corn wine), I always suggest distilling it and putting a bit of charred oak in it. ;-)

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I'm not sure where you would get enough grapes to start making your own wine. Im sure there are people who make their own beer, quite successfully I'm told, but spirits might be another thing altogether. I'll stick to Bintang, less complicated for me.

Reactions: OrangeDragon

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
I'm not sure where you would get enough grapes to start making your own wine. Im sure there are people who make their own beer, quite successfully I'm told, but spirits might be another thing altogether. I'll stick to Bintang, less complicated for me.
Wine can be made from many a berry... I bet there are some local berries that make a fine drink. But Buleleng is apparently a producer of local varieties of grapes. Once I get settled at the end of the year maybe I'll give it a go... ;-)

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
I do home distilling... wine making is far from complicated (though, not sure how the laws there lean on it... but for personal consumption why would they even know). It does take a bit of experimentation to find your perfect recipe if you're after anything specific. Then from there (preferably corn wine), I always suggest distilling it and putting a bit of charred oak in it. ;-)
A viable alternative is of course is to 'go local'

Tuak is the local fruit wine of choice for those not hard enough to drink arak for breakfast.

I've sampled plum, salak and coconut variants so far and the quality varies from yummy to stomach clench depending on the source; local, Singaraja, Karangasem etc.

A 5L jerrycan is to be had for about the price of a Bintang Besar once you have a good local connection.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
A viable alternative is of course is to 'go local'

Tuak is the local fruit wine of choice for those not hard enough to drink arak for breakfast.

I've sampled plum, salak and coconut variants so far and the quality varies from yummy to stomach clench depending on the source; local, Singaraja, Karangasem etc.

A 5L jerrycan is to be had for about the price of a Bintang Besar once you have a good local connection.
Ahh palm wine. When I was in Cambodia (where you can't trip without hitting 4 sugar palms on your way to the ground) it was everywhere... half of it probably low dose poison. Done right though its delicious.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
OrangeDragon,

back on the original topic, I might wish to take you up on your kind offer if it's still on the table.

A small light item that will only occupy about a toothbrush worth of your luggage space so still plenty of room for melted marsbar soup upon arrival

The drop would go down in Ubud ideally but could also be the airport at your convenience.

The merch is valued at about 30USD and is I am afraid not edible should I prove to be nefarious.

Only issue might be I am due a return visit to the motherland around October so depending on when you will arrive, I might miss you.

Cheers