Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
Does anyone know a way to tweek upload speed using Telkom Speedy without having to upgrade the service package? I currently have the Familia package and the upload speed is unbearably slow (taking 3 hours to upload a simple media file!!!). I could upgrade to the Executive package but I don't quite see the point of doing so for home internet service-- if anyone knows a way around this, much appreciated!!!

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Does anyone know a way to tweek upload speed using Telkom Speedy without having to upgrade the service package? I currently have the Familia package and the upload speed is unbearably slow (taking 3 hours to upload a simple media file!!!). I could upgrade to the Executive package but I don't quite see the point of doing so for home internet service-- if anyone knows a way around this, much appreciated!!!
Your Speedy "Family" ADSL package has a download speed of 1 Mb/s and upload speed of 256 kb/s (under ideal conditions). By its very nature, ADSL always has faster download than upload speeds. (That's why it's relatively "cheaper" than DSL, which has the same speeds up and down.)

If you're getting 80-90% of your advertised speed, you're doing well. (The "missing" 10-20% goes in various overhead stuff.)

The bottom line is that there are no specific "tweaks" that I'm aware of which can increase your upload speed. Having said that, there are tweaks that can make your overall connection experience better (and somewhat faster).

You mention taking 3 hours to upload a "simple media file", without saying what or how big it was. A typical mp3 music file is about 3MB. Most video files are much larger - like 10MB per minute unless they've been compressed first.

You should have some up-to-date antivirus software running on your computer. You should also run a complete scan with it occasionally in case something's there slowing things down. Even with that, it's good to have (and run) things like up-to-date versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malawarebyte's AntiMalware. You might be surprised what they find.

I could upgrade to the Executive package but I don't quite see the point of doing so for home internet service...
That package is 2 Mb/s down and 512 kb/s up, and is what I use. Most of the time, I am getting pretty close to those speeds. Note that the "up speed" is twice what you have...only take you 90 minutes to upload that file.

Seriously, your media file might be too big for your current connection, and/or you're expecting too much from it.

There are other areas in this forum where some of us have discussed internet services in more detail (like different ISPs, how to test your speeds, etc).

I hope this helps.

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
Thanks so much for your feedback & suggestions! I spoke to Telkom Speedy and it turned out my connection speed was 1/3 of what I should have had and that they needed to refresh the system on their end to restore it to the original speed-- good to know that one should check do a speed check every once in a while to make sure everything is running properly, cause who knows you may be paying for one thing and getting another, ha! The media files I am uploading are videos, and now instead of taking 3 hours its taking a little less than an hour. As you suggested I'll do a scan on my computer to make sure everything is running smoothly and perhaps upgrade to the executive package. I take it I will also have a better Skype connection with a stronger upload speed?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yeah - that happens too, sometimes. I'd forgotten about that.

When I upgraded my Speedy account, it took me several phone calls and a couple of physical visits to their office before it was "activated". The "central" hadn't turned it on. Like the right hand don't know what the left hand do.

It's also worth mentioning that when you have a "problem" with them and call their "support number", you'll probably get nowhere. Unless there really has been a major physical fault/disaster somewhere, chances are someone's hit a wrong button in "central".

"Waiting" until it's resolved is usually the best option, as opposed to tearing your hair out, resetting/restarting your modem, calling "technicians", listening to bad dangdut music while you're on hold, etc. The "problem" is usually at their end.
I take it I will also have a better Skype connection with a stronger upload speed?
Yes. Should be quite OK, even for video calls depending where to, time of day. Even with my previous 1 Mb/s connection, I made many successful Skype video calls to Australia, Germany and the USA.
...good to know that one should check do a speed check every once in a while...
Definitely.

Any way - glad your Speedy problem's been resolved.

Last edited: