Upgrading my Listrik with PLN --Tips & Advice?

Leannarachel

Dec 9, 2019
Hello Balipod! This is my first post. I am a Musician. I've been living in Bali actively for 4 years (passively for 12 years). I'm now renting a house in Denpasar (for at least a few years) & wanted to ask this forum if there are any tips & advice on upgrading the capacity of the electricity with PLN. I know that it needs to be upgraded because the electricity shuts off every time I am running the water pump, AC, and playing music through speakers all at once. I am also planning on adding a 1/2pk AC unit to one of the rooms. The owner has given his approval & he just wants me to make sure I don't upgrade it TOO much. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated!

I am assuming PLN will tell me how much I have when I call, but I want to get as much information in advance as possible, because I know that dealing with these sorts of things tend to get complicated for foreigners in Bali.

Thank you in advance,
Leanna

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
You can check out this link to see the cost of upgrading your listrik - https://www.mrfixitbali.com/electrical/electricity-supply/increasing-your-power-supply-254.html. Is your listrik currently pre-paid using pulsa? I understand that if you increase your supply in excess of 7.7 VA, you have to switch to a post-paid account, which would incur a minimum bill, even if there is no or little electricity usage. It would also come as three-phase power, which your house may not be wired for. Perhaps these are the reasons your landlord is asking you not to increase too much? In any case, I know many people who have 7.7 VA and it is more than enough to power water and pool pumps, a few a/c's, appliances etc. Best to consult with PLN.

Leannarachel

Dec 9, 2019
Thanks for your quick response, Mark. Consulting with PLN directly was confusing, so the links you sent are very helpful! I definitely don't need more than 3,300 or 4,000, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again!

Leanna