Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • What is Uber?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Ride-hailing application Uber Indonesia is tapping into the tourism market in Bali, the main entry point for foreign tourists into Indonesia, with the recent launch of its UberTRIP service.

UberTRIP, originally launched on the resort island in November last year, enables users to hire an Uber car and driver for more than five hours to explore tourist destinations in Bali. It will cost users Rp 300,000 (US$22.5) for five hours and Rp 1,000 per additional minute.

“In each city, we are given the opportunity to launch new products that can match local demand. In Bali, we see that other than UberX, there is a demand from passengers to be able to use Uber car services for longer periods of time,” Uber public policy and government affairs head for Indonesia John Colombo said on Wednesday.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017/02/02/uber-to-expand-business-to-bali.html

uber-serp-logo-f6e7549c89.jpg

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
We are taking over their restaurants, their shops, their business, their island, their land, their rice fields, their water.............this makes me sick!
300.000 rp five hours one driver plus the car for a tour? what about the petrol? is included? This put tears in my eyes and feel sorry for this beautiful island what we are doing.
What a way to keep them been poor or having miserable salaries, while tourists keeps coming to stay in luxury villas and hotels and pay 30 $ for a day trip.
I hate uber and all their kind, what a terrible idea to exploit local people and their ways to make a living.

Last edited:

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Match local demands? really? or match foreigners or tourists demands to pay as minimun as they want for trasportation? Because probably many of the people who uses these services are spending a lot money in villas and expensive hotels and expensive restaurants and drinking in the night but to go home they don't want to pay more than 50.000 rp in a ojek or uber taxi right?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Begonia I love your passion but find it's misplaced here as no one forces people to drive tour cars except economic necessity and preference. Don't you think it might be more interesting and profitable for a young man that can speak some English and has learned to drive to use his abilities with Uber or being a driver for a villa rather than try and earn a living as a fisherman or rice farmer? I know which I'd rather do even if doing the fishing or farming was more picturesque for the Bule to watch. My driver friends, some have been doing it now for 25 years, have all raised a family and had a comparatively good life on the proceeds of ferrying us around this beautiful island.

The mathematics: car rental for the driver IDR150/day
commission on all events and meals from 10 to 25%
meal thrown in usually by the punter value 40k IDR
Drinks free
chances for that valuable long term relationship 50/50

To be absolutely brutal when this island is totally ruined there's still another 16,999 to go that are equally as pretty.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
And let's not forget the kickbacks (maybe what Markit referred to as commission) We once went to one of those agri tourism places in the Ubud area not far past the Ceking rice terraces. There, we tasted the various coffees and bought a few gifts for family. Upon returning to the car driven by our Balinese friends, they (our local friends) laughingly handed us an envelope with cash amounting to 50% of our expenditure, which they had been given as 'commission' from the establishment. One of the Bali driver's dirty little secrets, commissions and kickbacks which, depending on the itinerary can equal or exceed the hire fee, so begonia you don't need to feel sorry for them, nor should any of us.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
That is very common in Indonesian/Bali society...everyone is involved in the kickback. We westerners are simply not so used to it. When my wife and I go shopping, or eating, our driver gets his share for bringing us to the establishment by having a free meal....or he accrues stamps for a future benefit...
When drivers come to our villa my maid ensures they have food and drinks and even packs 'takeaway' for their family......whats wrong with that?
Western employment cannot be used for any comparison purpose.

Last edited:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
That is very common in Indonesian/Bali society...everyone is involved in the kickback. We westerners are simply not so used to it. When my wife and I go shopping, or eating, our driver gets his share for bringing us to the establishment by having a free meal....or he accrues stamps for a future benefit...
When drivers come to our villa my maid ensures they have food and drinks and even packs 'takeaway' for their family......whats wrong with that?
Western employment cannot be used for any comparison.

Nothing wrong with a free meal and drink (which don't cost much anyway), but a 100% uplift in prices to pay drivers a 50% kickback is a fact that deserves to see the light of day. Visitors to Bali should just be aware of what's going on, instead of being stupidly milked out of their cash. Not to mention the more gullible tourists who, for example, after paying 500K for a half day trip, unknowingly pay out another few hundred thousand in 'commissions' through their consumption and purchases and then generously tip the nice driver who took them to such great places (where he received his 50% kickback). It is no wonder that the guys on Jalan Monkey Forest or Jalan Hanoman in Ubud sit on their brains all day shouting 'transport', 'what are you doing tomorrow, I take you on tour' etc. All it takes is one sucker to make their week.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Nothing wrong with a free meal and drink (which don't cost much anyway), but a 100% uplift in prices to pay drivers a 50% kickback is a fact that deserves to see the light of day.

Ummm not to sure you have the right idea here: personally don't know of anywhere doing the 100% extra for 50% kickback and don't actually believe a business here would last long against the lower priced competition with his neighbors.

Having said that, how often do you hear tourists shouting merrily "It's sooooo cheap here!" even after paying through the nose? All the time. Tourists paying premium has been around as long as tourists have - check out some of the Victorian "Grand Tour" stories.

Knowledge is the best weapon so lets weaponize the readers here?!

1) if you go as a group to the Bali Safari call ahead and book first and give the name of your driver and he can collect the 25% commission on the day tickets and then do what you want with it.
2) On top of Kintamani: go to any of the restos on the Caldera and say because you don't have a "guide" you want his 10% commission as discount on your food.
3) Same as 2) on most places in Celuk/Mas/Batubuleng/etc.

Why fight a system that is worldwide and works?

Feel free to add your own...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am not sure what the problem local drivers have with these ride sharing apps. Is it because they don't want to pay a commission to the booking company? But they are happy to receive commissions themselves from hotels and restaurants.

Wouldn't it be better as a driver to have a steady stream of jobs than just sitting by the side of the street and waiting for people to approach them.

I am sure many of the smaller homestays in Bali have benefited from joining sites like booking.com and Airbnb.

Part of the problem with the traffic in the south is taxis driving around looking for passengers. These transport apps could possibly solve this. Most drivers I know only take passengers one way, say from Lovina to the airport. It is not easy to get people for the return journey, so using an app like Uber might help them to get passengers on both legs of the journey.

Uber also has surge pricing when demand is greater than supply so fares go up during busy times.

Reactions: sakumabali

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I am not sure what the problem local drivers have with these ride sharing apps. Is it because they don't want to pay a commission to the booking company? But they are happy to receive commissions themselves from hotels and restaurants.

Wouldn't it be better as a driver to have a steady stream of jobs than just sitting by the side of the street and waiting for people to approach them.

You are absolutely right, but you're being far too logical. This is Indonesia after all ;)

From what I gather reading the frequent stories and back and forth between expats and drivers on the Ubud community fb page, it seems that many bali drivers are organized into an informal mafia based on their town/village, in which any attempt by outside drivers to pick up fares is met by hostility and often violence. The mafia drivers hate the apps because they undercut the cartel pricing that has been established in their area and also facilitate outside drivers to operate on their 'turf'.

For example, assume a Kuta driver picks up a passenger at the airport to go to Ubud, which normally costs around 250-300k. If the Kuta driver has an app like gojek, uber or grab, he could arrange a pick up in Ubud for the return trip to Kuta, thereby avoiding having an empty car for the return. He wants to secure the job, so offers 150k as the price which is obviously better than zero if he returns empty. This p*sses off the Ubud driver mafia to no end, as they then are deprived of the 300k cartel price they charge for the journey to the airport. So if the Kuta driver is identified picking up a passenger in Ubud, he may just get himself beat up by the thugs. Of course, the reason the Ubud driver charges 300k is that he anticipates returning home empty, unless he risks using the app to pick up a passenger at the airport, where if detected he may get beaten up by the driver mafia at the airport. So, net net, there are lots of expensive one way trips where tourists, the environment and yes even the drivers lose.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Gentle men: the driver has to pay car rental for a day which is usually IDR 150 only payable if the car is rented out - it must, nevertheless, stay next to the importuning driver - all day. So a fare of IDR 300 for a day is not much considering petrol too.

If said driver bags a drive, usually in the early morning, it will most likely be the only job he gets that day and is 90% a round trip excursion.

Many airport trips are run from either the villa/hotel and are pre-arranged days in advance and are also often free of charge as part of the rental package. These drivers if they are private or smart, are using Uber to get a freeby fare back to work.

The drivers that have running battles with gojek/uber/etc. are the taxi drivers NOT the "local" drivers. These are your Bluebird taxi guys, the same that had running battles in Jakarta and Denpasar with the other drivers - they've been cheating people for years and will not give that up easily.

The airport is a special exception and is really mafia run but there are ways around that too.

It's a jungle out there and a tough way to make a living.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
It's a jungle out there and a tough way to make a living.

Fully agree with that, though I can assure you that the local drivers in Ubud (not the taxis) have a HUGE problem with uber, gojek and grab - in fact they got a local law banning these services even though most of the drivers for these services are also balinese. In any case, there are far too many guys 'aspiring' to be drivers. The market is flooded with drivers and, at least in Ubud, the mafia has strengthened to protect their turf, even though the reality is that most drivers are barely making a living. The cartel behaviour has driven up costs - you can't go anywhere within Ubud (even 200 meters down the road) for less than 50k. And if as an outside driver you're caught, this happens...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155050930947220&set=gm.1336100093113989&type=3&theater

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
The drivers that have running battles with gojek/uber/etc. are the taxi drivers NOT the "local" drivers. These are your Bluebird taxi guys, the same that had running battles in Jakarta and Denpasar with the other drivers - they've been cheating people for years and will not give that up easily.

The airport is a special exception and is really mafia run but there are ways around that too.

In my experience these ARE the local drivers resp. the local banjar. At least in Canggu & Ubud they successfully installed an ILLEGAL system. I went last time with a taxi to Batu Bolong and when I wanted to go back the staff in several restaurants told me that I can't get a Bluebird taxi nor Grabtaxi nor Uber of course. I had to take a local Canggu Taxi company which they all had a pricelist (the prices were way above the usual). So we said nah and tried to order via phone / app. Could't get one. So in the end we took the cheapest fare out of this crap to Canggu Plaza (and said to the local mafia guy that "now we finally can order a good Bluebird Taxi"). He claimed it's legal. I asked how could it be legal when a LEGAL company with a LICENCE to OPERATE in ALL Bali (and pay taxes) is blocked in an area by a banjar? That's a criminal act. Mafia. Happened in Ubud the other day too (according to balidiscovery, an Uber driver got beaten up while waiting for a customer. Police came and "searching" for the guys). Yes right. Now they are considering to maintain peace in Ubud by forbidding taxi apps like Uber etc.
HAH: SERIOUSLY? like in the middle age in europe, hey where are my taxes? It's my road?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
On top I remember Pastika mentioned that "Bali might be ungovernable". I remember that in the beginning he invited all the bupatis of bali to discuss some issues. None showed up. They all claim they have there own rights to rule (like the building permits in Badung for example).
Now Prastika said too that it is a criminal act to NOT turn on the taximeter while driving. I tried the other day to get home. They asked for some hundreds of meters a ridiculous amount. I asked them to turn on their meter. They refused. I walked.
That's it I will not support these guys anymore. Grabtaxi is awesome; clean & safe. I'm a customer. We will win (one day)

Reactions: spicyayam

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In my experience these ARE the local drivers resp. the local banjar. At least in Canggu & Ubud they successfully installed an ILLEGAL system. I went last time with a taxi to Batu Bolong and when I wanted to go back the staff in several restaurants told me that I can't get a Bluebird taxi nor Grabtaxi nor Uber of course. I had to take a local Canggu Taxi company which they all had a pricelist (the prices were way above the usual). So we said nah and tried to order via phone / app. Could't get one. So in the end we took the cheapest fare out of this crap to Canggu Plaza (and said to the local mafia guy that "now we finally can order a good Bluebird Taxi"). He claimed it's legal. I asked how could it be legal when a LEGAL company with a LICENCE to OPERATE in ALL Bali (and pay taxes) is blocked in an area by a banjar? That's a criminal act. Mafia. Happened in Ubud the other day too (according to balidiscovery, an Uber driver got beaten up while waiting for a customer. Police came and "searching" for the guys). Yes right. Now they are considering to maintain peace in Ubud by forbidding taxi apps like Uber etc.
HAH: SERIOUSLY? like in the middle age in europe, hey where are my taxes? It's my road?

My apologies for being behind the times on this and I should keep my mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about. I've just been going on what others have told me and what I've read. Sorry!

The island seems to be largely ungovernable - remember the talk about the pirate weigh stations cashing up from passing sand trucks and how that was all going to end. Fat-chance!.

I still believe that the only real alternative option is to have several local drivers on you phone that can come pick you up as they do at the airport/ubud/everywhere. They aren't taxi drivers but private drivers with their own cars. Probably not good for the sudden trip but just think ahead a bit and plan accordingly or stop being a pussy and drive yourself like REAL MEN do.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
And REAL MEN don't drink & drive..

Maybe you do huh?
Yeah I fecking do! I drink and drive so send the Gestapo. Not going to make a "thing" out of it but I have been known to get fucked up and drive here. I figure if I do it real slowly I'll only kill myself and since it's usually late at night I'm not likely to hurt anyone not shit faced too. But that's all blah blah really. If you want a guilty attestation then have at!

I live in Bali where the police drink all the bintang and arak I can buy them and if wanna get fucked up and have fun then that's Bali life and as good a reason to live here as I can come up with short term.

As a matter of fact just got back (shit face again) from playing pool, talking shit and drinking shed loads of ice cold binnies with mate(s) and feel no pain. Real Men Do Drink and Drive