typical retirement visa costs question

G

Welcome to the forum angin panas!

You can see a link to PT. BALI IDE Business & Visa Consultancy, "VISA Indonesia" at the top of the page. They will be able to tell you how much it will cost and about the process.

Hopefully another forum member with recent experience will be able to add something.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
The retirement visa has a number of requirements (many of which seem to be flexible) - I'm in the process of planning for one seven months from now which I would suggest for anyone who wants a retirement visa. There are many different agencies that can do the paperwork - you can take your pick depending on recommendations. Bali IDE is one of the agencies, I have a few others listed on my cyberbali.com website in the retirement section. You might want to take a look there. Best of luck.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
I've got 7 months, two weeks and two days, Jimbo. The money just isn't worth the irritation anymore. On the last vacation, I thought that I was having a stroke (just dehydration from fasting and overexerting myself), but as I lay on the floor convulsing, I was thinking, I'm not going like a few of my friends who died in the classroom. I'd rather be on a budget and get a little enjoyment out of life before I shuffle off the planet. Keep on strokin' .

Reactions: Normy

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi, and welcome, angin panas

I looked at the requirements for a retirement visa when it was first introduced some years ago. Quite frankly, they were draconian, to say the least. After a while, the Indonesian government modified them so that you don't have to be a "millionaire" anymore to get one. Mind you, it's still difficult to find clear, concise and non-conflicting information (that's kind of a norm in this country).

I have been on it for two years now and am about to get my third extension. From memory, it took about a month from my initial application, after which I flew to Singapore where a visa agent finalised everything in a matter of hours (the same day). The visa itself cost me Rp 6,500,000 (approximately AUD860 in today's money).

Interestingly enough, I did not have to provide any financial details, take out health insurance, employ a national and all the other stuff that's often cited by agents. I'm still unsure if that was because my wife is Indonesian (if so, it doesn't make any better sense to me.)

I initiated my visa myself, employing the services of an official in the local Immigration Office. Everything went smoothly. One thing that baffled me for a while was noticing in the paperwork that I had a "sponsor" - a travel agency in Kuta. I have since discovered that there is only a small number of agents endorsed by the government and officially permitted to conduct these transactions. Even the government Immigration officer had to use one (again, beats me, but that's how it is).

Hassles? None, so far. However, if I need to leave the country, I have to apply for an exit permit first (about Rp 500,000). And of course, pay the dreaded Rp 1,000,000 fiskal at the airport.

I'm not sure what drbruce has been told by PT IDE. I do know that different agencies charge different prices, so shopping around can be useful, if you have the time and energy.
...The retirement visa has a number of requirements (many of which seem to be flexible)...
That's certainly true.

I hope my experiences help you. Best of luck.
:D

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hi Phil,

I don't use Bali IDE anymore. I did use them for many years when they were a small mom and pop agency just starting up and they were great. I found the service less satisfactory as they grew larger. When it came time to get the kids' their indonesian citizenship, we did it ourselves with the help of Roy and Ari. As for the retirement visa, I'm using a fellow in Singaraja who does visa and immigration stuff for less than Bali IDE with excellent results. And yes, the requirements about income, health insurance, etc, seem to be flexible as I know folks who have had the retirement visa for a few years and don't have those things. And yes, shopping around is helpful which is why I started on looking for an agent early this year.

G

I don't use Bali IDE anymore. I did use them for many years when they were a small mom and pop agency just starting up and they were great. I found the service less satisfactory as they grew larger.
Something that many companies suffer from. Thanks for the information drbruce. Maybe Bali IDE will read your comments and pull their socks up!

And yes, shopping around is helpful which is why I started on looking for an agent early this year.
Good advice.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Bruce

You are absolutely right in your thinking. Better to have a little less and enjoy life. Now why can I not take my own advice.

Arrived in Kazakhstan today after a huge amount of hassle getting here from Saudi and I just wanted to turn back and go home.

Balined

May 27, 2007
Ubud Bali
I applied for an got a retirement visa in February this year thrU Bali IDE.

No problems at all.

We were able to provide all the paperwork required eg: pension statement, staff employment etc, but I'm sure this is easy to get around if necessary.

Just be aware you are not legally allowed to work once you have this type of visa-- or so they say!

Approx A$900 ea. from memory, although that tends to diminish the longer you live here. Memory that is!

Enjoy your time here.

Balined

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
My personal retirement visa update:

I applied for my third extension this morning. Rp 6,000,000 (no agent). Should take about a week.

I also applied for an exit permit in December. Rp 400,000 (up to three months). I understand that it's possible to get a multiple exit permit as well.

Still have to pay the one million rupiah "fiskal", of course.

:D

Cisco Kid

Oct 24, 2015
has anybody of Australian nationality taken out a retirement visa recently, how was the experience, do you recommend any notary in particular,what did it cost?
thanks in anticipation. :?
Its a great visa and if you invest here, you can work on your investment to secure a return thereon without a work permit, provided you do not earn a salary or wage and don't run a commercial operation on a daily basis. No need for a notaris. A good, cost-effective professional service is "Channel One", Pak Eko on Sunset Road in Seminyak.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The forum reports that:

angin panas was last seen: 6y 50w ago

so maybe you shouldn't exepct a reply.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The forum reports that:

angin panas was last seen: 6y 50w ago

so maybe you shouldn't exepct a reply.
Am in my 3rd. year of my retirement visa, and understand that the only way anyone can change agents is to begin the procedure all over again by doing a visa run away from Indonesia. This really means being strapped to the same agent for 5 years otherwise. This captive experience permits sloppy or non-existent communication about requirement changes, price increases, and dubious concern for the client's needs in maintaining compliance.
Does this also extend beyond the 5 year period or are you free to find new a new agent for the Kitap?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Am in my 3rd. year of my retirement visa, and understand that the only way anyone can change agents is to begin the procedure all over again by doing a visa run away from Indonesia. This really means being strapped to the same agent for 5 years otherwise. This captive experience permits sloppy or non-existent communication about requirement changes, price increases, and dubious concern for the client's needs in maintaining compliance.
Does this also extend beyond the 5 year period or are you free to find new a new agent for the Kitap?

I agree it is a sloppy system.

I presume you are aware, as you are on your 3rd Kitas, you are eligible for the Kitap already...you don't need to complete the 5 years.
If you decide to progress the current Kitas thru' to a Kitap you will need to use the same agent, leave the country, and return with a new Itap.
If you decide to change agents this can be done but will need to start the Kitas project over again...as you've said above.

Some lady is in this process and writes about it on the other Indo forum. Apparently she has 'convinced' her current agent to provide an EPO so she can permanently leave for Australia when her current Kitas/Merp expires .....and her new agent has provided the telex for her to create a new Itas there and will convert to a Kitas on her return.