Two weeks into my visit... I'm in love.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
You know, as I was making the plans to move here I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I was in for, how much I would enjoy it, and so on.... Nope. I mean, yes... But more. From the absolute wonderfulness of most of the people, to the breathtaking beauty I wake up to every day... I can't get enough.

I made a pretty good tour of the island from southwest to north, and after landing in Lovina am disinclined to move much further. Pretty sure it's the ideal for me... Quiet, peaceful, no traffic, friendly people not constantly trying to sell me something (or someone), gently lapping waves for good swims and easy dives in crystal clear water over fun a life abundant reefs 5 min from shore. As for a place to live, seems idyllic.

Started off in Kuta/Legain/etc. Sure, fun place to visit if you're in the mood to party, and the big waves are pretty awesome to see. But the ocean/waves are just too hard to relax enjoy with someone trying to sell you something every 30 seconds, and I'm past my partying prime... 1 night of fun costs me 2 days of recovery.

Also popped in Ubud for a few days... Meh. Too much traffic, no ocean, expensive, loads of tourists, not what I'm looking for.

Heading to Sanur next, sadly to prepare to go home (to get my affairs in order for coming back)... So we'll see how I like it there... But as of now Lovina has my heart.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Thanks for the report. I'm sure you are aware of the huge coal-fired power plant (Celukan Bawang) located only 20km west of Lovina...emitting fine particles travelling as far as Denpasar (although here in Denpasar that is not the main source of pollution).

Reactions: McAdoo

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You know, as I was making the plans to move here I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I was in for, how much I would enjoy it, and so on.... Nope. I mean, yes... But more. From the absolute wonderfulness of most of the people, to the breathtaking beauty I wake up to every day... I can't get enough.

I made a pretty good tour of the island from southwest to north, and after landing in Lovina am disinclined to move much further. Pretty sure it's the ideal for me... Quiet, peaceful, no traffic, friendly people not constantly trying to sell me something (or someone), gently lapping waves for good swims and easy dives in crystal clear water over fun a life abundant reefs 5 min from shore. As for a place to live, seems idyllic.

Started off in Kuta/Legain/etc. Sure, fun place to visit if you're in the mood to party, and the big waves are pretty awesome to see. But the ocean/waves are just too hard to relax enjoy with someone trying to sell you something every 30 seconds, and I'm past my partying prime... 1 night of fun costs me 2 days of recovery.

Also popped in Ubud for a few days... Meh. Too much traffic, no ocean, expensive, loads of tourists, not what I'm looking for.

Heading to Sanur next, sadly to prepare to go home (to get my affairs in order for coming back)... So we'll see how I like it there... But as of now Lovina has my heart.
Not to piss off all the Lovinians here but bear also in mind the dry season in Lovina can be really dry. That means everything dead and brown up into the mountains - not every year, for sure but often enough to matter. Especially when you have to pay 1 million a week for a water truck. Sounds like you didn't make it to the east yet, worth a visit.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Not to piss off all the Lovinians here but bear also in mind the dry season in Lovina can be really dry. That means everything dead and brown up into the mountains - not every year, for sure but often enough to matter. Especially when you have to pay 1 million a week for a water truck. Sounds like you didn't make it to the east yet, worth a visit.
East is on the list to check out next trip in, I'll have some time before I really get settled into a more permanent spot. But thankfully the reefs don't dry up, so I'll be fine. ;-) As for a water truck, I'll just supplement with beer where called for.

Reactions: RossM

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Summer in Lovina means a pilgrimage to Bedugul and surrounds, always green, always cool, frequently raining, my favourite place on the planet.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Happy to hear you love Lovina so much! My dad has been itching to get up there - and myself too. Can't believe after 6 years here I never stopped there. Came about 3km close to it but it just wasn't in the cards that day.

My dad is in Sanur right now and the busy city life is getting to him. I think you convinced me to take a trip up to Lovina and see what the vibes are like there.

Reactions: Chris A

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
My dad is in Sanur right now and the busy city life is getting to him
"Busy city life" in Sanur ?
Where did your Dad lived before ?

Globally Bali is a good compromise, a good price / quality ratio. Decent lodging, medical facilities, western supermarkets and restaurant, cheap taxi / Grab...
But falling in love with it or calling it paradise is pushing it a bit far.

Triple my pension and I am on a flight to the Seychelles, Mauritius, St Barthelemy, St Martin......

Reactions: tel522

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
"Busy city life" in Sanur ?
Where did your Dad lived before ?

Globally Bali is a good compromise, a good price / quality ratio. Decent lodging, medical facilities, western supermarkets and restaurant, cheap taxi / Grab...
But falling in love with it or calling it paradise is pushing it a bit far.

Triple my pension and I am on a flight to the Seychelles, Mauritius, St Barthelemy, St Martin......
He's from a quiet suburb out of Boston. Sanur may seem like a sleepy seaside town to some but to him, all the motorbikes whizzing around - and now ebikes on the beachwalk - it can feel a bit hectic sometimes.

Obviously not as wild as the west coast but if was I retired, I'd go for something far more low-key. Still love Sanur though and it's easily one of my favorite places to visit in Bali.

But yes, I agree with you 100%. Bali is a great compromise for those that want to live a certain lifestyle for a certain price. If money was spilling out of my pockets, I'd be elsewhere too probably. But then I'm not so sure. Some of the cultures of those other tropical islands doesn't really do it for me.

Reactions: tel522 and Balifrog

tedja

Jan 19, 2023
I think its easy to forget what makes Bali so special. If its only because its cheap and low-key, people miss the enormous value of what Bali brings to the world, and to its guests too. Whether we live in Bali, rent or buy, or come as tourists, I would hope visitors know how lucky they are to be in such a sacred part of the world. Bali's indigenous culture, its wisdom, is a profound part of why its so important to pay attention. Every time I come, I learn something about being a human being. Witnessing this culture brings tremendous insight and knowledge about what western culture needs to learn. You dot see muders in the streets with machine guns. There is little crime and little destruction. My philosophy here is to pay attention, stay silent as much as possible, and be grateful that you get the chance to be in such sacred space.

Reactions: ronb and YachtRock

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I think its easy to forget what makes Bali so special. If its only because its cheap and low-key, people miss the enormous value of what Bali brings to the world, and to its guests too. Whether we live in Bali, rent or buy, or come as tourists, I would hope visitors know how lucky they are to be in such a sacred part of the world. Bali's indigenous culture, its wisdom, is a profound part of why its so important to pay attention. Every time I come, I learn something about being a human being. Witnessing this culture brings tremendous insight and knowledge about what western culture needs to learn. You dot see muders in the streets with machine guns. There is little crime and little destruction. My philosophy here is to pay attention, stay silent as much as possible, and be grateful that you get the chance to be in such sacred space.
Others will say same about Thailand, India, Nepal, etc.....
Having lived mid/long term in a dozen countries, 27 years in Asia, visited over 50, I confirm Bali is simply a nice compromise as I said earlier.
But then again I am not the romantic or dreamer type.
Their culture is nice, but it is not mine.
A very positive point are the people, who are in vast majority very nice. I sure prefer them above Thais, Vietnamese or Chinese.
Just need to get used to everything happening in slow motion ! But I am retired, so I have plenty time.

Reactions: YachtRock

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I do agree with you that Bali has a very unique and beautiful culture. But as BaliFrog just mentioned, it is not our culture. We can sit back and admire it but no matter how many upacara you attend or sarongs you wear, you'll always be "the bule" to them. I know a guy up in Buleleng who has gone as deeply into Bali culture as anyone I know. He has lived here well over 20 years, speaks fluent Balinese and still says he is treated like an outsider.

Not in a wrong way but just in a different way. We are expats, immigrants, temporary visitors...whatever you want to call it. It's not our home and we will be treated as such until we die or leave. That doesn't bother me at all but that's the way it is.

Reactions: tel522 and Balifrog

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
There is no doubt about the Balinese being unique as guests to tourists. Admittedly some areas via excess tourism have become traps with more than their share of fakery.
Having been to Vietnam on 3 occasions and delighted in its wonders and development to induce tourism made me realize how the distinct charm of the Balinese has created someplace that can't be copied. Vietnam's highways, natural wonders, cleanliness of villages, beaches, food etc. in my opinion have Bali beat in spades, but the people can't fake it and don't try.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
There is no doubt about the Balinese being unique as guests to tourists. Admittedly some areas via excess tourism have become traps with more than their share of fakery.
Having been to Vietnam on 3 occasions and delighted in its wonders and development to induce tourism made me realize how the distinct charm of the Balinese has created someplace that can't be copied. Vietnam's highways, natural wonders, cleanliness of villages, beaches, food etc. in my opinion have Bali beat in spades, but the people can't fake it and don't try.
Very interesting. When I was doing my initial scouting report of SEA, Vietnam was one place I lived for a bit. You couldn't pay me enough to go back there to visit..nevermind live there. But to each their own though. Perhaps I just didn't see the right places.

To me, Indonesia is #1 in SEA and the competition is not even close.

Reactions: Markit

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
My home in Pekutatan in Jembrana, kabupaten is so little known about that the Balinese of elsewhere when asking where I am from seem puzzled, and often say "oh, Jembaran ?" and I attempt to explain.
That situation soon will change and big time, as this place is in the process of huge construction with the development and beginning of first phase of the new Bali Toll Road. That construction will connect with Gilimanuk to the north and Soka to the South, and the subsequent connection to Mengwi.
Now comes the head scratcher for me because also alongside the toll road will be a giant theme park, that to my knowledge is without an advertised name?
If there is wonder as to why this subject is posted here with Balinese culture there is a puzzling connection. Admittedly my knowledge of theme parks regardless of this phenomena having found its birthplace along with myself in the US is mostly connected to Disney World (for you with greater knowledge of this subject fire away!)
With that preamble let me ask what sort of theme could be born here that would be culturally acceptable to locals? Obviously existing wonders will be competing with this site for visitors, and mythical structures erected coordinated with the theme. So what kiddy pleasing thing can be conjured?
Bali as a destination can certainly connect with zoos and other wonders of nature, but with Hollywood? From pictures of castles and other Disney myths conspired somehow with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Ferris Wheels, Merry Go Rounds etc. many of us have seen what could possibly find home in Bali? It doesn't seem to blend with what visitor's expect of Bali. It's too Goofy for me (just had to do that).
Love to hear some comments.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
My home in Pekutatan in Jembrana, kabupaten is so little known about that the Balinese of elsewhere when asking where I am from seem puzzled, and often say "oh, Jembaran ?" and I attempt to explain.
That situation soon will change and big time, as this place is in the process of huge construction with the development and beginning of first phase of the new Bali Toll Road. That construction will connect with Gilimanuk to the north and Soka to the South, and the subsequent connection to Mengwi.
Now comes the head scratcher for me because also alongside the toll road will be a giant theme park, that to my knowledge is without an advertised name?
If there is wonder as to why this subject is posted here with Balinese culture there is a puzzling connection. Admittedly my knowledge of theme parks regardless of this phenomena having found its birthplace along with myself in the US is mostly connected to Disney World (for you with greater knowledge of this subject fire away!)
With that preamble let me ask what sort of theme could be born here that would be culturally acceptable to locals? Obviously existing wonders will be competing with this site for visitors, and mythical structures erected coordinated with the theme. So what kiddy pleasing thing can be conjured?
Bali as a destination can certainly connect with zoos and other wonders of nature, but with Hollywood? From pictures of castles and other Disney myths conspired somehow with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Ferris Wheels, Merry Go Rounds etc. many of us have seen what could possibly find home in Bali? It doesn't seem to blend with what visitor's expect of Bali. It's too Goofy for me (just had to do that).
Love to hear some comments.

Hi Mugwump - nice to meet you by the way. I believe you are referring to the Paramount Theme Park they had planned for that area of Bali. The Bali Sun wrote this article a while back. Apparently, Paramount has a reputation for making grandiose plans without ever following through with them. As you'll see in the article, many of Paramount's planned international parks never came to fruition.

So I wouldn't worry so much about that. However, just for fun let's imagine. if they did plan to build a theme park I highly doubt it would be a homage to Bali culture and heritage. Sure, it may have some barongs and small elements of Bali lying around in the architecture but overall, it will probably be some Hollywood/Disney shitshow.

The governor recently did state he feels investing in nature-based tourism is the way to go moving forward but as it tends to go in Indonesia, we should bite our tongue on any promises coming from the government.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021

With that preamble let me ask what sort of theme could be born here that would be culturally acceptable to locals?
No "Balinese" theme can be spotted from the design. But do not despair; there will be 100 ways of emptying your pockets.

That said the layout and design looks similar to the Universal one in Singapore.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
No "Balinese" theme can be spotted from the design. But do not despair; there will be 100 ways of emptying your pockets.

That said the layout and design looks similar to the Universal one in Singapore.

If I was a betting man - and I am sometimes - I would put my money on this theme park going in the "never gonna happen pile" along with the North Bali Airport, the Ngurah Rai - Canggu Train and the southern peninsula "ring road"

Reactions: mugwump and Markit

harryopal

May 5, 2016
When you look at the proximity to Java I guess the theme park developers have in mind the many thousands who flow into Bali and a near at hand theme park, whatever it is, will pull them in. Around that then one would expect a rash of hotels, kos and other accommodation.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
When you look at the proximity to Java I guess the theme park developers have in mind the many thousands who flow into Bali and a near at hand theme park, whatever it is, will pull them in. Around that then one would expect a rash of hotels, kos and other accommodation.
And mega traffic jams on.weekends and holidays...