davita

Mar 13, 2012
Seems the USA President may find Balinese are not so pleased with his ambitious plan....from Jakarta Post today page 15:

"On the Indonesian resort island of Bali, building height is measured by coconut trees. Anything taller could anger the Gods the Hindu locals believe inhabit the island.
So plans to renovate a decades old hotel overlooking a 16th-century temple and turn it into a bigger six-star resort, complete with a tower and upgraded golf course, are causing some anxiety.
It will be known as the Trump International Hotel and Tower Bali. Donald Trump’s company has paired with an Indonesian tycoon to build what they say will be the largest resort on the island.
"

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So that would be the Pan Pacific in Tanah Lot right?

That's right and includes the Nirwana golf course. So much for Trump and his version of NO conflict of interest between his Presidency and his future income from foreign sources...maybe he will give all the revenue to charity.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
yes right...I'm pretty sure he has NO % in PP (yet) all he got is a management contract...

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
That's right and includes the Nirwana golf course. So much for Trump and his version of NO conflict of interest between his Presidency and his future income from foreign sources...maybe he will give all the revenue to charity.

Apparently only existing deals in his pipeline are to be continued and all future deals not yet approved were all terminated according to his pre presidential speech just before he was sworn in as POTUS

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I only posted to create interest in the future relationship between the USA and the Republic of Indonesia.

President Trump is on record to say he has a 'personal' relationship with Indonesia due to his business in Java and Bali....and everything is O.K.

If those deals go sour I'd worry what would HIS, and consequently USA, relationship be......the 'devil is in the detail!'

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I expect he will ban muslims from booking into his hotel , to be consistent .

Mark

Apr 19, 2004

No davita, not the revenue, never the revenue. Maybe a percentage of the profits, which can be easily manipulated down to zero by increasing expenses like, tada....management and brand fees.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Who would seriously consider to go there after rebranding and support this guy? For me Pan Pacific will close and stay closed !
I feel sad for all the local staff but I hope they have to close because of bankruptcy soon. Of course "another success story. Very famous. Very popular. Everybody loves it. It's true" blablabla

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
The owner is MNC (Jakarta property tycoon). They are kicking out the Pan Pacific management and will switch to the Trump brand. MNC has plans to renovate before they re-open under the Trump brand.

What is all the commotion about?

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Post #9 for example but more what you see on facebook groups ranting on this new project.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A good reason I don't belong to facebook...
Co-incidentally, last night, a friend called to say he'd just landed from Jakarta and could he call in for a drink as he was on his way to his apartment in Nirwana. I live in Kerobokan....half-way to Tanah Lot.
We got stuck into some wine then he announced that Trump's associate had bought out all the apartments overlooking the golf course...including his. He said he was sworn to secrecy about the price but I could tell by his grin it must have been substantial.
My hope is Trump trips up over this venture and loses his shirt...not for the first time!

Reactions: sakumabali

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I doubt that Trump is investing even one rupiah in the project. He typically doesn't work that way, instead he licenses out his brand for a fee and his group takes over management of the property, which is owned by the local partner. That way he will never lose his shirt even if the business itself ultimately fails.

Reactions: balibule

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If he hasn't properly divested himself from his businesses, according to US law, and he makes money from a foreign source...I believe he is open for a case for impeachment.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
If he hasn't properly divested himself from his businesses, according to US law, and he makes money from a foreign source...I believe he is open for a case for impeachment.

Yes, he has probably already violated the constitution by accepting remuneration from a foreign government (for example, both China and the UAE are tenants in Trump Tower, which he owns, and god knows how many other governments like Russia he is involved with since he won't disclose his tax returns). However, with Congress controlled by Trump's party, there is no appetite to enforce the constitution in this instance. The following is an interesting article from the Washington Post discussing the issue. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.29bca9e0fbda

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Yep, along with other failing fake news outlets like the New York Times the BBC and CNN. How dare they have the temerity to report on facts and not the delusions of dweedle drumpf. Shut them down!