tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
What is going on?

Yesterday, I asked if anyone could translate a short Balinese phrase. This particular phrase was taken from the answer by Wibisono Sastrodiwiryo, on December 14, 2007, to an article written by Adrian Vickers, Professor of Southeast Asian Studies at The University of Sydney, regarding his article "The Ide Anak Agung Agung Gde Agung controversy," published in his blog.

The phrase was

de ngaden awak bise depen anake ngadanin

What happened to my question published on the "Bali Expat Forum"?:icon_evil:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
What is going on?

Yesterday, I asked if anyone could translate a short Balinese phrase. This particular phrase was taken from the answer by Wibisono Sastrodiwiryo, on December 14, 2007, to an article written by Adrian Vickers, Professor of Southeast Asian Studies at The University of Sydney, regarding his article "The Ide Anak Agung Agung Gde Agung controversy," published in his blog.

The phrase was

de ngaden awak bise depen anake ngadanin

What happened to my question published on the "Bali Expat Forum"?:icon_evil:

I answered your question.
I think wrongly, but I asked my wife again and this time she says;
"don't think you can, let other people make your name."

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I answered your question.
I think wrongly, but I asked my wife again and this time she says;
"don't think you can, let other people make your name."

Thanks, mat. But that's my point, where is your first answer?

So, in English, you are saying something like, "Your reputation must be determined by others, not by you," bukan?

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Thanks, mat. But that's my point, where is your first answer?

So, in English, you are saying something like, "Your reputation must be determined by others, not by you," bukan?

Seems to be the gist of it.
As to you other posts there were two. Both gone it seems.

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Sorry, not sure what happened. Tintin, you made two posts with the same question. Mat answered one and bunny answered the other. I tried merging the two threads and now it seems like they have both vanished :icon_eek:. Bunny, can you write your post again?

kanginkauh

Dec 6, 2008
Translation

Tintin,

if you would have gone to school in Bali you would surely remember these Balinese words, since this phrase is contained in a song being taught right in 1st grade.
The closest meaning in the English language would be " Do not judge yourself but let others be the judge".

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I think it basically means:

"Mind your own business and not some other person's"

And various interpretations of that...

:icon_e_ugeek:

kanginkauh

Dec 6, 2008
Translation

Now, since Tintin asked for the translation and since it was a specific answer to a specific case, let him be the judge.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Now, since Tintin asked for the translation and since it was a specific answer to a specific case, let him be the judge.

maybe in regards to the song your translation is right (i don't know the song so don't know if it's right),
but if one would just translate what is asked, johnnycool's translation is a better one.
don't know how/if it al fits in the rest of the answer to that article...but like I said the words asked to be translated is like jc said.
fr.gr.gilbert.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
As I mentioned in my follow up comment, mat's wife translation, in Balinese-English, was right on the mark, and kanginkauh rendering is correct in the context of the article I was referring to (sorry kangingkauh, but I hardly made it through the French and American schools :icon_biggrin:)

Now, for those of you interested, you can see for yourselves what is was all about, at

The Ide Anak Agung Agung Gde Agung controversy - Adrian Vickers' Indonesia blog

PS. To the Administrator. I must have had the hiccup when I pushed the "submit" bottom, ergo two of the same posts, sorry :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Thanks for the link...
went through the whole story and even a link to another blog written in Indonesian...
amazing, some people still talk and think it's important what happend 60+ years ago :icon_rolleyes:
even more amazing is that it doesn't even have the slightest effect on balinese people....

since I myself don't know much about the internal struggle on Bali I asked a friend of mine, agung rai (grandson of the last raja of buleleng) and he answered "I don't care about what happended in the past, it's more important to look to the future...if he's a hero so be it, if not so be it..who am I or others to judge someone's past." his father added "there are other issues that need our attention, issues that are more important then agung's status as a national hero or not"

My own grandfather was a pretty important person at the time, it was a chaotic time in wich he went from ambassador to belanda, called back to Yogya by Sukarno got arrested there, went to jail for a short time , got out and became minister of east indonesia...go figure :icon_rolleyes: