balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesia says it’s sticking by a plan to curb beer sales at small retail shops, but it might ease up on the rules to exempt foreigners on the popular tourist islands of Bali and Lombok.

Trade Minister Rachmat Gobel, under increasing pressure from retailers and industry associations, said cooperatives in heavily touristy areas on Bali and Lombok would be appointed to distribute the beers to designated retailers. The beers would contain labels stating that they are only intended for purchase by foreigners.

“Please don’t think that because we control alcoholic beverage distribution the number of foreign tourists will drop,” said Mr. Gobel, seeking to address concerns about the impact the ban would have on tourism. “They don’t come here not to consume alcoholic drinks but because they want to the natural beauty of our country and our culture.”

Earlier this year the Ministry of Trade issued a decree that will ban the sale of beverages with between 1-5% alcohol content in convenience stores and small shops across the country starting April 16.

The government says the decree is aimed at regulating alcohol sales to prevent underage drinking and protect public morals. But some industry analysts say it’s a sign of the growing influence conservative Islamic groups have over policy making in Indonesia, where the majority of the population is Muslim but many islands and cities have large Christian, Buddhist and Hindu communities. Bali is majority Hindu.

Though beer will still be available for purchase in supermarkets and restaurants, beverage companies and retailers have put up a fuss, saying the ban will have a significant impact on sales and could deter investors and tourists at a time when the government is looking to them to boost economic growth.

“We’ve faced a lot of complaints from the industry, especially the beer industry, because they’ve experienced a drop in sales for some months,” said Hariyadi Sukamdani, chairman of the Employers’ Association of Indonesia. Retailers have been told to phase out beer stocks from their shops since January.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
“Please don’t think that because we control alcoholic beverage distribution the number of foreign tourists will drop,” said Mr. Gobel, seeking to address concerns about the impact the ban would have on tourism. “They don’t come here not to consume alcoholic drinks but because they want to (?) the natural beauty of our country and our culture.”

I wonder if he was rolling on the floor laughing as he issued this statement.

G

Gurkha

It's true, they dont come here to drink beer - they come here to drink methanol!

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
k7bsu.jpg

Last edited:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
After some time you are suppose to loose your head ... (some literary)

methanol .. ethanol ... geez so many fancy names ..... sama sama !

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
If you do not like to be killed in Indonesia go home to your country ! <--- seems legit to me ! :D

Last edited:
G

Gurkha

After some time you are suppose to loose your head ... (some literary)

methanol .. ethanol ... geez so many fancy names ..... sama sama !

Ethanol is the alcoholic constituent of liquor and is not the same as Methanol - So there!

werecoming

Mar 29, 2012
Tasmania
It made news here in one of Ruperts finest publications.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/...-bali-mini-marts/story-fni0bv29-1227305424501

Ferkme, as someone who visits regularly I do like being able to grab a few beers from the mini mart to take back to the villa. These new laws simply mean that I will buy more beer less often from a less convenient supermarket, take said beer back to villa and consume laying around pool reading book and / or having intimate time with lovely wife.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I will buy more beer less often from a less convenient supermarket, take said beer back to villa and consume laying around pool reading book and / or having intimate time with lovely wife.

I get it werecoming....you're a romantic...slug some brewskis, read some ****, then have intimacy with your lovely wife in the pool....:love_heart:

In our villa pool I have to get my lovely wife lickered up on champagne before I can pounce...:devilish:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Wanted to go fishing early this morning (6am) from Serangan...put on lots of sunblok but I think the Bali Gods revenged me....the wind and rain was too strong to go out on the boat.

Sat near the boat office and noticed a cooler full of Bintang with a sign 'Rp20,000 bottle'....I asked the girl managing the boats if they were still allowed to sell beer ...."sure" she said "this is Bali...lottsa beer!"

The weather didn't change by 10am and, as I'd had Rp100,000 worth, went home to bed...:apathy:

G

Gurkha

Home brewed Mead is good. It leads to wassailing with wenches, acts of insane bravery and doesn't give you a hangover.

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Hey davita I can see you are into fishing ... Where and how you go fishing ? Is it possible anywhere actually to do it from a rock (in south or wherever in bali) and catch something etc .. or you need to go with a boat !?