Tourist Visa short stay Australia

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hi all

I'm well aware of the difficulty for an Indonesia citizen to obtain a tourist visa for Australia for short stay holiday, just wondering is this something that could be granted if the applicant had money in the bank but not on the books job (grab driver so like self employed, very difficult to provide payslips and only recently took this job). Is it possible without a sponsor, as the applicant has friends in Australia but they are not Australian citizens?

Also is there an agent someone could recommend?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Sorry, but I think without a sponsor and a job with some kind of statement indicating leave and a return period I suspect this may be an uphill battle. I am not sure that an agent would be an acceptable sponsor. I am sure you would have no trouble finding an agent who would guarantee a visa but I am afraid there has been a recent pattern of awful scams particularly with Indian and other clients where jobs, and permanent residence have been promised and the agents have pocketed large fees and nothing delivered. So check that out but do take care. I doubt that having friends who aren't Australian citizens would be a helpful element. But that said, there is nothing lost in applying with whatever evidence you have to support your tourist intentions. A clear idea of what particular tourist attractions and a plan would help. Do some research costing accommodation and transport and a living allowance may swing it that you are genuine in your tourist intentions.

If you have previously visited Australia without breaching visa conditions that would also be a plus.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Yes, what you say Harry re affirms what I had already suspected, basically at this stage its a waste of time if its just going to be declined the money could certainly be put to better use. Its shame it's so difficult really. The person in question would return after a week no dramas at all but unfortunately all systems geared against them.

Thanks for the tip about the visa agents. I met one of them before he looked very thin and dodgy but I never committed to any business with him. Although even he didn't guarantee entry and said there is still a chance it would get rejected, the biggest issue being no salary on paper.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
It wasn't my intention to completely discourage you. I am not sure how close you are to an Australian embassy or consul but if it is not too difficult see if you can actually meet and talk directly to an Australian member of the staff explain your circumstances and see if he thinks you have a chance of approval. These days embassies tend to have local nationals as the front line staff who act as a kind of buffer and sometimes seem to go out of their way to be difficult. It seems everywhere now it has becomes harder to talk directly to staff and you get referred to websites or automated telephone systems which go on and on but never quite have the answer for your specific questions.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
By the look of it I would think that is not an official Australian representation but rather a private enterprise. Obviously they will have a vested interest in having you believe.... "no problems."

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I googled a few peoples stories on other forums etc, seems odds are pretty good but an citizen sponsor would greatly increase the applicants chances

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
For anyone interested I went there, they weren't giving any definite commitment to anything and could only recommend all the documents are well prepared and in order. Price was far cheaper than other agents at around the 2 million mark. The guy said all the paperwork would be sent from Bali to Jakarta and they would keep passport for 2 days.

There is definitely the possibility to apply for a short stay tourist visa without a sponsor and I got the feeling if it was just a week or two visit it could be justified by just having enough cash in the bank, things like a letter from a sponsor, letter from employer help but a tourist visa can still be granted without these things. Obviously there can be the legitimate circumstance of someone who doesn't have friends there wanting to visit. Perhaps a good knowledge of tourist attractions in Australia on the applicants part would help.

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
VFS are the Australian governments offical agents in most countries, my wife visa was done when they were in Denpasar 10 years ago. Looks like they moved to Benoa.

Reactions: matsaleh

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I had forgotten that conservative governments like privatizing everything. I had seen they were talking about privatizing visa processing but didn't realize they had started down this path. A pox on privatization of government services. The conservatives always claim that privatization gives better service. Wherever utilities, electricity for example, have been privatized the costs have always gone up and the service poorer.

Good luck then to PertoDPS with the application. I hope it comes through for you.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Thanks harry, I think we are still 3 months away from applying, as they want bank statements going back 3 months and there isn't what I would view to be enough activity in the 3 months just gone. I will update when it's time. Long process, but I must say patience is one of the lessons I learnt here in Bali where time is NOT money like in western cities.