spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am helping my wife apply for a tourist visa to visit Australia. It seems like there is a lot of "supporting documents" you need to prepare. I was wondering how much detail we need to provide?

Anything we provide that is in Indonesian language needs to have an "official translation" which is not cheap.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

On the website it says we need:

If your employer is financially supporting your visit, this should also be mentioned on the reference letter.
• If you are self-employed, you need to provide evidence of your business ownership (such as the business registration or shareholder’s certificate)
 If you are visiting a relative or other family member in Australia – evidence of your relationship with that person. For example: marriage certificate(s), birth certificate(s), statement detailing the nature of relationship, or a combination of these documents
 If someone is supporting your application, a supporting letter from this person outlining the purpose of your visit, the length of your stay, the nature of your relationship with them, and the type of support they will provide (eg. financial, accommodation etc).
If this person is in Australia, provide evidence of their status (eg. copy of their Australian passport or their Australian visa)
 Evidence that you have enough money (funds) or access to enough money to support yourself (and any family members travelling with you) for your stay. For example, a current bankbook or bank statements for the last 3 months. Cash or credit cards are NOT sufficient evidence of funds

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Their fear is that someone will arrive on a tourist visa, fail to return and thus join all the other "illegal" immigrants in Australia.
So info about her employment or business here helps to show that she really needs to come back.
An Aussie supporting the application is the person who would be given a hard time if she overstays.
Money - I guess they have some rule of thumb - like a tourist in Aust might spend around $300 per day - or whatever. So the bankbook should reveal an income stream that fits with taking a holiday costing maybe $3000.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Hi Spicy, maybe showing them your wedding certificate will make the process of getting the visa a little easier?

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I have assisted a few Indonesian to visit Australia for a short term holiday. The biggest concern is as per written by RonB. The Australian authorities want to make sure the person will return to Indonesia.
It really is best and easiest to go through a visa agent. Such as this mob...... Australia Visa Information - Indonesia - Home Page
Once the first visa is granted subsequent visas become quite easy to get. A couple of the girls going to Australia had no employment history (or not one that could be written about).:icon_evil:
Because I operate a number of legal businesses in Bali I was able to provide them with a written work history. This was then checked by the Australian Consulate via a telephone call to me. I just made sure the girls could tell the same story as me.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Spicy, I'd suggest you also write a letter that you will be responsible for all your wife's expenses in Australia, including medical, if it becomes necessary. You will also need to provide copies of your bank statements in support of the application.

As the other members have said, the Australian government wants to see that your wife has compelling reasons to return to Bali, e.g. a job or a business to run, family, etc.

Oh, and just make sure that any references she provides are legitimate, as they WILL check.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
When my wife and I visited a few years back we supplied all documents except for the employers reference. She had no problem getting the visa

penyu

Oct 13, 2012
Spicy..i guess my question doesn't really matter, I will just tell you about my experience.

I have Indo partner and we have applied for 3 tourist visas so far, last one being in July this year. I just supplied a copy of my Aus passport, an invitation letter (as the sponsor) saying that I would be responsible for all accommodation and living costs, a copy of bank statement with 5k on it, a copy of KTP and that was it. We didn't have employment letter because didn't have permanent job, so just put usual occupation.

We went through AVAC and never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for service. I wouldn't bother using a visa agent if they are going to lodge through AVAC, because it's just the same as you doing it. AVAC are a handling agent only, they don't have any say whatsoever in granting of visas. All applications are sent to Jakarta. If you can't be bothered going to DPS, they offer a courier service for extra cost.

Hope this helps.

natta

May 19, 2011
Jimbaran
I apply for tourist visa's for my husband each year - we always get 12 month multi entry. If this is a first time visa and brand new passport you may find you will only get 1 month if you want say 3 months be very specific in the letter of invitation. What we always include: Letter of invitation from myself and my family (as I live in Bali), in the letter we provide dates of important events ie: if you want your wife out for christmas write that, supply our bank statements for financial assistance, write that you will cover all airfares, insurance, accommdation and spending money, have a letter from your wifes employer saying that have been granted leave (this is important as they need a reason to return). If you work in Indonesia, perhaps show a copy of your contract or a letter from your eomployer saying that you are taking leave on whatever dates.
The only thing we ever include in Indonesian is my husbands ID card - we have never had this translated.Remember that this is a tourist visa so make sure you include tourist reasons for the visit. Good luck

penyu

Oct 13, 2012
The 12 month multi entry is obviously a much easier way to go for more frequent travel and I didn't realise you could actually get this type of visa, so that is very interesting, although we applied for a partner visa about 1.5 years ago and that has been granted....so no more visas for one of us at least.

But back to short term visas...We applied for a 6 month visa (on 2nd app) and provided a bank statement with appropriate funds for that period of time. However, when the visa came back it was only for 3 months....no reason, that's just what they decided. Not that it was a major drama, just didn't give us the flexibility we wanted. The work issue may have been a factor in their decision, but they don't provide reasons. However, employment does not seem to be an issue with a standard 3 month visa, given my experience and also that of BKT. In my sponsor letter I have only ever put that I would like "x" to come to Australia to spend time with me (partner) and that I would be responsible for all costs. I have never put anything else, like what we plan to do etc. I do remember now putting a copy of my driver's licence in with app because I don't home a permanent home in Aus. My licence has the address of my family home and this is the address I put on the sponsor letter.

I am not saying you don't need x, y or z....just saying this is my experience. I found the process very easy and actually less hassle than me applying for the SosBud.

It is interesting to read about everyone's experience with the wonderful visa system.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
But back to short term visas...We applied for a 6 month visa (on 2nd app) and provided a bank statement with appropriate funds for that period of time. However, when the visa came back it was only for 3 months....no reason, that's just what they decided. Not that it was a major drama, just didn't give us the flexibility we wanted.

It is interesting to read about everyone's experience with the wonderful visa system.

If by 6 month visa you meant the Social Visa don't presume that they gave you the 3 months out of any particular reason. My lady got the same thing on a visit to SNG for her Social visa and it was purely a mistake on their part - they simply hadn't used the correct stamp or twizzeled the dates around right. Upon complaining to them, via our trusty Mr. Malik (agent SNG), they did rectify it, but not without great pain (and cost) on our part.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
2029d1403698134-tourist-visa-australia-indonesians-have-beer-jpg

View attachment 2029