Tourist ban on renting motorbikes

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Get ready for another wave of Russians. Reported today that Putin will call up another round of conscripts.

• Haha
Reactions: tel522

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Agree. This idea will have to be binned. Done in a fit of anger without looking at the consequences.

The police focus on image, what is popular and make financial sense -- and that is to go after the tourists. In my local area (outside the tourist zone) the locals are free to do what they want. Racing at high speed with their modified motorbikes (no mufflers), no lights in the dark, drunk, no helmet, etc. No police to see. Never.
Sorry but I have live in the local desa for 30 years and your assessment is over the top .
The reason there is not a big police presence in the desa's is because Bali is a community based system and every Desa has there own form of local police.
Learn how the culture works.
Yes there are kids racing their bikes etc but its only tolerated to a point and if your an outsider and get caught committing a crime in a desa the locals have their own justice they'll kick the shit out of you
The tourist areas are a world away from the real Bali

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Next week is full focus here in Bali to "discipline rebellious foreigners" including those "having no ethics" (see below). Make sure to carry all relevant original documents:

"A total of 475 personnel are being deployed in three fieldwork units to discipline rebellious foreigners. The operation is in conjunction with immigration, the Municipal Police, the Transportation Agency, and the Manpower Office:

Unit I will target foreigners who violate traffic rules, such as not wearing a helmet, using fake plates, having no ethics or being reckless when driving.
Unit II will target foreigners who are working illegally, running illegal business premises, overstaying visas, and other administrative violations.
Unit III will target foreigners who are involved in criminal acts such as possession of drugs, blades, firearms, and other hazards. "

Good times being an average local thug these days.

Reactions: tel522

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
That always makes me laugh.....

Learn the difference between "local customs" and "culture"

BTW, I live in the "tourist Bali" and it's good fun !
I have been here for close to 40 years mate been there done that and your paying 3 to 4 times more for everything dealing with traffic overcrowding ratbag tourist who show no respect for Bali and Canggu is full of Russian now .
Your a guest in this country pal don't lecture me on local customs n culture my wife my kids my family are Balinese
There's a thousand ways you can fall into a dark hole in Indonesia and I've seen most of them

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Good n
Next week is full focus here in Bali to "discipline rebellious foreigners" including those "having no ethics" (see below). Make sure to carry all relevant original documents:

"A total of 475 personnel are being deployed in three fieldwork units to discipline rebellious foreigners. The operation is in conjunction with immigration, the Municipal Police, the Transportation Agency, and the Manpower Office:

Unit I will target foreigners who violate traffic rules, such as not wearing a helmet, using fake plates, having no ethics or being reckless when driving.
Unit II will target foreigners who are working illegally, running illegal business premises, overstaying visas, and other administrative violations.
Unit III will target foreigners who are involved in criminal acts such as possession of drugs, blades, firearms, and other hazards. "

Good times being an average local thug these da

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I have been here for close to 40 years mate been there done that and your paying 3 to 4 times more for everything dealing with traffic overcrowding ratbag tourist who show no respect for Bali and Canggu is full of Russian now .
Your a guest in this country pal don't lecture me on local customs n culture my wife my kids my family are Balinese
There's a thousand ways you can fall into a dark hole in Indonesia and I've seen most of them
Hahahha...
Over 30 years in S.E.A., enjoyed all the places I lived, never fell in love with any.
Nope, you are not a "guest", you are an "immigrant" and even you stay here 50 years and have 5 kids, you'll still be an immigrant.
I suppose you understood that ?
Nothing wrong with your choice, your life, your money. Just respect that some people an have a different opinion.
An

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Hahahha...
Over 30 years in S.E.A., enjoyed all the places I lived, never fell in love with any.
Nope, you are not a "guest", you are an "immigrant" and even you stay here 50 years and have 5 kids, you'll still be an immigrant.
I suppose you understood that ?
Nothing wrong with your choice, your life, your money. Just respect that some people an have a different opinion.
An

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
This whole original post is about the way tourist are acting on the island mate and if you want to live in busy tourist areas that's your choice I never said it wasn't.
If you invited me to stay in your house with your family and completely disrespect you your families and the rules of your house would you be happy about that?
This is what this is all about !
And if your here as a tourist you are a guest in this house your not a resident or immigrant a guest

Reactions: YachtRock

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
This whole original post is about the way tourist are acting on the island mate and if you want to live in busy tourist areas that's your choice I never said it wasn't.
If you invited me to stay in your house with your family and completely disrespect you your families and the rules of your house would you be happy about that?
This is what this is all about !
And if your here as a tourist you are a guest in this house your not a resident or immigrant a guest
Murphy did you forget your English and your syntax in all the time on Bali? Please take your time to run over your post before posting :) don't want to be an arse but it's kinda irritating me...

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I feel like I am reading my own thoughts right here. Are you me?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
The complexities of so many issues presently creating headlines are really quite staggering. Cracking down on motor cyclists not wearing helmets and, not having licences is commendable and especially as the most recent targets have not been just Bule but locals as well. Yet there are many thousands of juveniles riding scooters and motorbikes and also the inherent dangers involved in multiple passengers on the one bike and not infrequently a family of maybe four.
There are possibly thousands of people in Bali alone who make a living from rentals. A commendable aspiration but with major implications for people living on the border line of income. In the absence of public transport all these minors who travel to and from schools without helmets and licences. So many perplexing issues.

Now the move to ban imported second hand clothing. Again a huge problem with many third world countries having mountains of discarded second hand clothing which never found buyers. Again a commendable aspiration to stimulate local manufacturing and deal with the waste but one can't help but feel sorry for the traders who have legally established businesses based on imports ranging from wholesale importers to the local market stalls.

And one watches with fascination as the extent of the corruption involved in Customs and Taxing involving billions or rupiah and where the prime movers have sought to insulate themselves by giving regular handouts to hundreds of employees who have a shared interest in covering up. Fascinating to see all these smiling faces surrounding Sri Mulyani as she outlines plans to slice through this mess and prosecute criminal behaviour. Are there any executive members of the Customs service who have not been involved?

The third highest ranking policeman in Indonesia now also being investigated for corruption. The head of the Udaya University being investigated with hundreds of millions of rupiah having been drained from the institutions finances.

A major contender for the role of President who has never been brought to account where he is alleged to have been directly involved in the torture, disappearance and murder of student activists.

Well that's enough to follow for the moment never mind the potentially thousands of other areas of corruption and criminal activity. Life goes on.

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Ahh , a lively discussion at last !

" Sits back and gets popcorn"

Cheers
Almost as jaded as Markit
Ken
Bullfrog is it ! You now nothing about me pal I originally came to Bali in the late 70s on a sponsorship from Quick silver surf company along with another 20 pro surfers from around the world to make a film and scout out new surfing spots for the newly formed world pro surfing comp .
There where no tourist in Bali .
I never went back to Australia have friends and connections that go back decades here bullfrog.
And if all you can do is insult me from a keyboard well Im quite happy to meet you in person and you can insult me in person

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Bullfrog is it ! You now nothing about me pal I originally came to Bali in the late 70s on a sponsorship from Quick silver surf company along with another 20 pro surfers from around the world to make a film and scout out new surfing spots for the newly formed world pro surfing comp .
There where no tourist in Bali .
I never went back to Australia have friends and connections that go back decades here bullfrog.
And if all you can do is insult me from a keyboard well Im quite happy to meet you in person and you can insult me in person
Australians used to be these nice, funny, sarcastic, happy people interested in about everything - when did you all turn into fighty, drunken, miserable old feckers?

I think anyone offering any form of violence on this forum (and yeah, I can read too) should be banned immediately.