islandchef

Feb 7, 2011
After working in hospitality in Indonesia for over 10 years, my KITAS was always taken care of but my employment will end & current KITAS expire in April 2016.
IN the meantime of looking for another employer, what visa should i be looking to obtain ( Legally married to Balinese with child )
Should i apply for KITAP before KITAS expires or do i have to wait?
Sure this will turn into a nightmare for us & looking for any advice before possibly visiting he agent.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Basically, you need to convert you're KITAS to be sponsored by your wife.

Technically, your KITAS and your IMTA (work permit) are separate documents. Once you get your wife-sponsored KITAS you can then swap empolyers and IMTAs without having to worry about updating the details of your KITAS.

I don't think you'll be able to apply for a wife-sponsored KITAP straight away, you'll probably have to be on the wife-sponsored KITAS for a few years first.

I think changing your employer at this time will make the process much more confusing. If you start the process straight away, you might be able to have your new KITAS before your employment runs out.

Good Luck.

islandchef

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks so much for the quick response.
From my understanding..a wife sponsored KITAS,will not allow me to work?
Maybe i was not clear in the original post, i am still employed until the end of March 2016,with the KITAS valid until April.If i find a new employer in that time,i will obtain another sponsored KITAS, if not, then i need to look at the other options.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks so much for the quick response.
From my understanding..a wife sponsored KITAS,will not allow me to work?
Maybe i was not clear in the original post, i am still employed until the end of March 2016,with the KITAS valid until April.If i find a new employer in that time,i will obtain another sponsored KITAS, if not, then i need to look at the other options.

DPH is correct. You can have a spouse sponsored Kitas/Kitap with an employer sponsored Imta. In fact that is more sensible. The Imta from your employer is separate and not issued by immigration but by the ministry of manpower.
It will not be easy but when did Indonesian immigration make anything easy.
Initially you will need to start over with a spouse sponsored Sosbud which can immediately be applied internally in RI to a spouse sponsored Kitas. In the 2nd year this can be again internally converted to a spouse sponsored Kitap. However, I'd suggest you see an agent as it may be easier for them to explain the process.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Davita....
Now starts the fun i guess!

hehehe...it's the kinda fun masochists must enjoy.
I've been waiting for my Passport and Retirement Kitap for 8 weeks already and had to cancel a planned trip to Vietnam because no Passport.

islandchef

Feb 7, 2011
First step is SOSBUD ?
After 1 year spouse sponsored KITAP ?
A friend in Jakarta doesnt have these but is applying for another visa which can be obtained after 5 years of marriage & residence in Indonesia?
Sorry to ask too many questions but if i go to an agent i know i will only get answers to specific questions...only to be told later"you didnt ask that" aarrgh

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Your first step is to convert your employer-sponsored KITAS to a wife sponsored KITAS while you're with your current employer. I'm not a 100% sure this is possible but if it's not, you'll have to see out the remaining KITAS, do a visa run to overseas(probably Singapore), get a wife-sponsored SOSBUD and then return to Bali to start the application for your wife-sponsored KITAS.

You can't actually work on a SOSBUD visa so I hope you're prepared to wait out the 2 months it'll take to get your new KITAS.

I don't envy you, the whole process is going to be a huge pain in the arse.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
First step is SOSBUD ?
After 1 year spouse sponsored KITAP ?
A friend in Jakarta doesnt have these but is applying for another visa which can be obtained after 5 years of marriage & residence in Indonesia?
Sorry to ask too many questions but if i go to an agent i know i will only get answers to specific questions...only to be told later"you didnt ask that" aarrgh

Your first step is to convert your employer-sponsored KITAS to a wife sponsored KITAS while you're with your current employer. I'm not a 100% sure this is possible but if it's not, you'll have to see out the remaining KITAS, do a visa run to overseas(probably Singapore), get a wife-sponsored SOSBUD and then return to Bali to start the application for your wife-sponsored KITAS.

You can't actually work on a SOSBUD visa so I hope you're prepared to wait out the 2 months it'll take to get your new KITAS.

I don't envy you, the whole process is going to be a huge pain in the arse.

DPH has explained very well...it will be a PITA...... but that's how Indonesia works.
You will need to separate your previouse employment Kitas/IMTA and start again with a Spouse sponsored Kitas/Kitap. They are different and have nothing to do with your work permit (IMTA).
A Sosbud can only be issued from an overseas RI Embassy/ Consul...it cannot be issued internally. That's the bad news.
The good news is after entering RI on your sosbud you immediatelly apply for a spouse sponsored kitas which is issued...(eventually) without leaving RI. Assuming marriage after the 2nd issue of a Kitas you apply for the Kitap, still without leaving RI.

BTW being Indonesia there are many ways to 'get around regulations'. I am not the one to condone but any agent 'may find ways'....good luck.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Can the SOSBUD be applied for while already living IN Indonesia ?
Officially, no it can't unless you have a very "talented" agent and have the money. I know of one individual who extended a voa into SOSBUD into over a year stay. They never had to leave Indonesia. It was done in Ubud. This is Indonesia, anything is possible.

islandchef

Feb 7, 2011
The holidays dont help with the reliable supply of official misinformation but just for laughs, i asked the agent for the price of a wife sponsored KITAS.....Rp 13.5 jt !!! Ha !
Other information was to go straight for the sponsored KITAS as a SOSBUD needs to be renewed...more headaches but we will see from immigration after the holidays.