Total Eclipse of the Moon

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Total Lunar Eclipse Dec 10

This eclipse is a relatively short one, with totality lasting 51 minutes but will be visible from Bali (weather permitting).
The Moon will enter Earth's partial shadow (penumbra) at 7.34 pm (the Moon 16 degrees above the horizon), and enter the main shadow (umbra) at 8.46 pm.
The total eclipse proper will start at 10.06 pm.
Middle of the eclipse at 10.32 pm (the Moon will be more than half way above the horizon - 50 degrees- that's good).
End of the total part at 10.57 pm.

And meanwhile, the Geminids meteor shower has begun (December 1-19, 2011).

This meteor shower Is often the most spectacular one of the year. The trouble this year is that the Moon will get in the way (again). Still worth a look.
It can produce about 120 meteors per hour in a good year (usually bright and medium speed).
You can look in any direction although towards the East might be better, between midnight and dawn (morning of Friday 14 December).

And if you're really keen, keep your eyes open after sunset on the same day. You might see some Earthgrazers (disintegrating meteoroids that fly over the horizon nearly parallel to the atmosphere, usually slow-moving and often producing long colorful tails).

Maximum activity: Dec 13-14

Good luck and hope it's not raining or cloudy.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Sadly cancelled here in the east on account of cloud - couldn't you have done anything about that Johnny?
I tried, but these days I don't know any of those priests/balians who can "control" weather. Obviously, none of them are any good or they'd be making trillions stopping Global Climate Whining in its tracks.

We were clouded out as well and had rain, too. This has happened to me lots of times here, whenever I try to observe significant "astronomical events", (unrelated to daily corruption).

That total lunar eclipse was the last one until April, 2014.

If the clouds bugger-off, you might see some Geminid meteors, in a few days' time. Good luck.