To Kitchen or Not to Kitchen?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm remodeling some apartments and on thinking about putting in the kitchens I've had a thought I'd love to get your feedback on:

If you were buying an apartment for long term usage would you rather buy one with a dining kitchen already installed or buy one (slightly cheaper) where you could put in the kitchen of your choice?

I love to cook and would personally rather put one it that catered exactly to my needs but (luckily) not everyone is like me.

Ta in advance.

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
I'm remodeling some apartments and on thinking about putting in the kitchens I've had a thought I'd love to get your feedback on:

If you were buying an apartment for long term usage would you rather buy one with a dining kitchen already installed or buy one (slightly cheaper) where you could put in the kitchen of your choice?

I love to cook and would personally rather put one it that catered exactly to my needs but (luckily) not everyone is like me.

Ta in advance.
Personally Markit I would rather the place came with a fully installed kitchen. I'm a relatively new boy here in Bali and I'm struggling with the issues around building a house right now. I'd rather the place were finished completely so I could just move in and relax.

Reactions: Markit

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

Ta in advance.
I'd love some input on the kitchen, though this is just a dream to me as a renter.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Personally Markit I would rather the place came with a fully installed kitchen. I'm a relatively new boy here in Bali and I'm struggling with the issues around building a house right now. I'd rather the place were finished completely so I could just move in and relax.
So I am on the same page as Tezza, so long as what was there was fit for purpose I'd go for ready-installed, even if it was the wrong choice, and I later refurbed the unit. I didn't come to Bali to spend my time chilling at Depo or down the plumbing shop.

That said, I suspect you have some sample bias in asking the folks on this site so you might want to consider who your target market is. If its high-end then sure these folks might expect the customization option and ifts younger couples who yearn to puruse an Ikea catalog looking for a snorgesblatten tap set then again sure!

I'd just rather be down the beach with a cold one or if I wanted custom I'd go the self build route.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004

Ta in advance.
Like you, I would prefer to choose and install my own kitchen. However, for most people it's too much of a pain in the ass to execute that well here. The ideal option would be to install the kitchen of the buyer's choice as part of the purchase deal (perhaps based on 2 or 3 options). If that's not workable, then I'd say it's better to sell with the kitchen already installed. There is a marketing benefit of having a fully completed apartment with no reno or additional work required. If you go this route, it wouldn't hurt to have a kitchen designer from Metric or Toto do a layout and cabinet proposal. They will usually do this gratis as part of the process, even if you don't ultimately buy from them, and it will ensure that the kitchens follow good design principles and don't have any quirky aspects that seem to be all too common here (eg, no kitchen triangle layout, countertop heights too high or too short, poor work flow, sink too small, inadequate storage, weird cabinet colours, etc). No doubt you are on top of this from a design perspective, but another set of experienced eyes doesn't hurt.