Apocalypse69

Jul 26, 2011
Gatot Subroto
How do you guys (and girls) stop yourself from getting stressed while driving over here?

I’m mostly referring to Monday night when the Balinese closed most of the streets with temples in, causing havoc around here. I guess a notice on the streets to be closed a few days before is a little too efficient for them!!

My usual journey of 10 minutes to eat dinner took me 1.5 hours and I was a gibbering wreck by the end of it. I usually try to relax and ignore most of the antics but I think Monday was the last straw.

The number of motorcyclists who travel down the wrong sides of the street and just block it for everyone is just so mind numbingly stupid :mad:

Any sensible tips anyone? Stress balls? Meditation? Relaxation? Valium? Imaginary missile launchers? :icon_wink:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've always driven here and in the mean time (and I do mean "mean":icon_evil:) I really don't get bothered by the other users of the jalan.

Just console yourself with the thought that you are immensely privileged to be spending more time (that you have lots and lots of) stuck on the good roads (generally) of an island where millions, if not billions, of your fellow humans would love to be able to be stuck on if they but had the chance.

If you are in a car turn up the ac and music if you are on a motorbike check out the beautiful babes riding right next to you or strike up a conversation with the babes in the cars next to you.

In a word Fecking Relax and Enjoy it. It will be over soon enough.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Last Friday I was being driven from Ubud to Legian and encountered no less than three cremation ceremonies that temporarily stalled our progress.
I simply got out of the car and walked along with the procession until the ceremonial took a turn and I got back in the car and away we went.
The trip took about an hour or more longer than usual but for a moment or two I reflected on what has drawn me to bali, who the folks were in that town and on the briar.
It also allowed me to stretch my legs and have a cigarette
The folks I was visiting have been living here for 25 years and weren't stressed at my late arrival. I wasn't stressed by my late arrival nor was my friend the Balinese driver. In fact there was no stress at all.
Traffic can be stressful if you let it be so. I choose to not let it be so, after all isn't that why we are in Bali and not back in our home countries?

orang gila

Jul 6, 2006
Bali
I suffer from what I label "Bali induced "Tourette's Syndrome"

I spend most of my driving time swearing uncontrollably at the (other) idiots on the road.
Lucky that no one can hear, apart from my passengers of course.

The total lack of road awareness still astounds me after 15 years living in Bali.

Apocalypse69

Jul 26, 2011
Gatot Subroto
I suffer from what I label "Bali induced "Tourette's Syndrome"

I spend most of my driving time swearing uncontrollably at the (other) idiots on the road.
Lucky that no one can hear, apart from my passengers of course.

The total lack of road awareness still astounds me after 15 years living in Bali.

I cant figure out if they're unbelievably skillful circus performers or just don't care as they will reincarnate anyway

P

paulseawind

Not the driver

swearing uncontrollably at the (other) idiots on the road

Me too. I even swear if I am not the driver. 'Fn dogs!'. 'What is that c-word doing!'.

In fact, I have sworn off driving regularly and will only do it on a special occasion, although I did renew my Int'l Driver's Permit recently in case I happened to be caught behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. I now use pro drivers and I have learned to keep to the left and not speed. Much safer. Usually when the POLISI pulled me over as part of a random check for paperwork they'd eventually wish me a nice day and advise me to go slow and keep to the left side. That is good advice.

I used to drive cars here and with one of my previous Balinese flames. One time I said sorry if I was swearing too much. She said her Dutch b/fr is the same. But he wasn't in town that month . . . . *grin* One man's lack of awareness is another man's treasure.

To g/tee survival here you almost need to be driving a PariWisata tour bus or an 8-ton truck because size does count. There is a lot of bullying that goes on, on the roads. Lots of it. He who dares gets right of way if size isn't different. And this is in the North where things are supposed to be 'more quiet and more rural'. Sometimes, out there, it's a Mad Max race track.

P

paulseawind

Since they were kids

I cant figure out if they're unbelievably skillful circus performers or just don't care as they will reincarnate anyway

They are highly skilled and have been at it since they were kids. I often see them on the roads here. The oldest one (driver) wouldn't even be 12 or 13. Their seriousness is to be applauded. They keep to the left and all aboard are behaving and it really is a pleasure to see them being so skilled (for want of a better term) about their journey. Absolutely everybody gives them their space, for the protection of the kids. I love seeing it. I see them going from A to B. Or to/from school. It's awesome and that will NEVER be seen in Australia.

I wonder what the avid Aussie road cops think when they come here. After their head-shaking is done, what do they really think, at the end of the day. That would be interesting to find out. A friend's brother is a Police Driver Trainer in Australia and I would love to hear what he had to say, that is, after he'd let off all the steam about how potentially dangerous it is.

These young kids riding their scooters are carrying out a carefully managed balancing act and if something untoward might drop in front of them, what would they do. I do not know the answer to that. But, they are building expertise and you can see that in the older riders. My gardener can carry a lawn mower on the back of his bike, and traverse a narrow pathway thru the paddies. Awesome balance and control.

We are the nervous nellies, not them.

Apocalypse69

Jul 26, 2011
Gatot Subroto
Maybe some are skilled. Or even the majority.

However if you ever happen to be in the emergency room in Sanglah Hospital, you will see that many of the patients are from bike accidents.

P

paulseawind

many of the patients are from bike accidents.

I have no doubt, but not having any info I didn't mention that.

I don't even know where Sanglah is, much less having been in the ER.
And I hope to never find out.

I'd say the population that frequents the Sanglah ER comes from the highly populated areas which the POLISI also do not patrol.

What takes you to the Sanglah ER?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have to disagree - most of the drivers have no fecking clue what they are about and have the instincts and reactions of unschooled motorbike riders - even when they are driving buses! How often are you behind some idiot who takes corners in his Kajang like he was on a honda? Or swerves to avoid gravel in his APV? Most fools don't look when they are coming into traffic and care even less for road usage and maintaining some sort of "healthy" line when driving, cutting past parked cars with centimeters to spare as if they'd never seen a door open. I could go on.

My all time favorite is using the small child as an airbag in the front seat of a speeding car, no thought to using those straps hanging from the sides called seat-belts.

I have yet to see a driver here that would come close to passing a driving test in any western country but they are right handy at passing out advice on how I could do better here - me with only 5 driving licenses to my name - all tested and passed.

Apocalypse69

Jul 26, 2011
Gatot Subroto
I have no doubt, but not having any info I didn't mention that.

I don't even know where Sanglah is, much less having been in the ER.
And I hope to never find out.

I'd say the population that frequents the Sanglah ER comes from the highly populated areas which the POLISI also do not patrol.

What takes you to the Sanglah ER?

I spent the wee hours with an ex who had collided with a car on her bike.

The doctor who treated her had been on duty for 37 hours. He looked a wreck

P

paulseawind

MKT, you say you have 5 drivers licenses but you are here, not 'there'. Get used to it. 5 is 4 too many for Bali, so long as you are legal.

I have a land-based vehicle drivers licence and a pilots licence (singles, telephony, multi/engine, CSU, RETRAC, tailwheel U/C) but I don't complain about the C172s that come over my house almost every day and practice stalls nearby because that's their problem, not mine. They need space to learn and there's always ditching it close by the beach if they stuff it up. DVT can comment in here with his vast knowledge.

Yes, the drivers here do 'veer' and that's why it is dangerous. But, take a few rides with a pro driver and OBS how they do it, instead of just thinking you know it all perfectly. Then, maybe, you can increase your skills.

Learn by example, GrassHopper. Use the knowledge of others.

P

paulseawind

I spent the wee hours with an ex who had collided with a car on her bike.

Sorry to hear that. But, nice of you. Your 'current' must be very understanding.

The doctor who treated her had been on duty for 37 hours. He looked a wreck

That sounds illegal and I'd be asking what is he taking to stay awake? Maybe dipping into Mr Smith's pill cup from room 26. Poor old Mr Smith.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
My brother inlaw had his first child 12 months ago, the wife's parents said the new baby must have a car to be safe. So the parents came up with the deposit for the car, the brother inlaw went for his driving test after a few lessons & passed. He picked us up from the airport, we did not even get to the gate when he pull over & asked me to drive, from our house to the airport is about 1 hr by the expressway. He took more then 2hrs and traffic was light. Cousins that live down a small gang, have decided to buy a new car (shop is doing well) they pay to park it 800 mts away, closest parking spot to there home. Husband has never driven a car before, how he got his licence??? In surabaya you can pay someone to do the test & the next day you take the paper work in, finger prints, photo and pay the money all done. I have no problem driving in Indonesia now as I have fitted a good DVD player,Ketapang Indah Banyuwangi to Surabaya 12hrs, floods, bridges out what a night mare. I used to have a Sim A & C but its easier to get a international licence in Australia, I was pulled over for a document check last month & of course no one had seen a international licence, all fun(roadtrain) always confuses them.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The title 'tips for driving' has produced little except for Ghurka's eloquent 'Buy a tank.'
My time here in Bali on the road is the same as everyone else except, perhaps due to my age and disposition, I have the following observations.
My next car will have a chemical toilet.
If anyone can direct me to purchase those stainless steel funnels pilots used to put their penis whilst flying at mach 2 and relieving themselves....I'd welcome that info.
I'm thinking of converting my Avanza....it will simply drip thru' a hole in the floorboard. I'll work on phase 2 later.
My wife has interest in lots of my ideas so she said...."how about me?'. i REMINDED HER OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITY LAW THAT FEMALE LIBERATION PROVIDES......:icon_rolleyes:

P

paulseawind

I was pulled over for a document check last month & of course no one had seen a international licence

Good on yer F2 - keep sticking it to them. They are a bunch of thieving, lying, stealing bastards and any chance to drop it on their heads is a good day. They just want money. So, don't give it.

Yesterday, PDAM came here to supposedly give me a new water meter, attached to a spare line just across the jalan. I had to buy the meter - OK. Rp500K. They installed it and did not fix a leak I wanted fixed and did not attach to the line across the jalan. The guy asked for Rp100 in cash. I said give me PDAM invoice. Silence. Then I said you did not do the work I asked and you not have proper invoice so f-off. They did. I also told him I can do all that myself - it is simple. He just wafted away, the little . . . .