Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Last couple of years we've seemed to be having a growing tick crisis. Since they only seem to attack the dogs (in between the toes and in the ears) and the missus (occasionally) it's not a major crisis but would like to know if anyone else has a similar problem and how they resolve it (can get rid of the dogs but the missus flat refuses to leave).

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #1

Same old, same old. You will have to clear your whole area and then not let your dog(s) near any others.

My dogs have not had ticks or fleas at all. My gardener washes them every Friday morning. I water down the shampoo and it still does the job properly.

A friend in Australia has a chihuaha who got ticks about 2 months ago.
Quite a few dollars to get the right protective ointments, etc.
Had to wash the doggie bed and sun-dry it. The dog too.
The cause remains unknown.
To my mind it's the lack of rain.

Make sure the dog wash you are using can keep fleas and ticks away. Wash the K9 every Friday at 11am.
Or pick some other time but stick to it. Consistency will be a helpful factor in solving your problem.

(I cant believe your wife gets them!)

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There was a news report of the ticks spreading south in Australia. Dogs in Australia seem much more worse affected than Bali dogs.

Are they the same ticks or are Bali dogs just more immune to them?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
There are many species of tick in Australia, but the one causing grief to dogs is Ixodes holocyclus commonly known as the Australian paralysis tick. I think we can assume this species is not present in Bali because dogs here can have many ticks without dying. More info on this dangerous Aussie tick at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixodes_holocyclus

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
For some reason most of you appear to think we are talking about Australia.

I'm sure it's a wonderful place with lots of interesting flora and fauna (all trying to kill you) but it isn't much help with my BALI TICKS.

Or bent on giving me marital advise.

But thanks, awfully.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Well I was thinking of making a post after seeing this news report. The reporter mentioned how easy the ticks spread from people travelling etc. So it did make me think what would happen if these poisonous ticks made it to Bali.

I have seen episodes of Bondi vet where dogs were very sick from these ticks, so I couldn't help wondering if Bali dogs are so resilient or it is a different kind of tick.

I also met a Balinese who was working Australia and he had one of these ticks fall on the back of his neck and he got very sick.

I don't know the solution to the problem, other than washing and brushing your dogs regularly. Frontline seems almost like a waste of money. Apple cider vinegar is one natural solution I have heard of and you can also put a bit of it in their food. Garlic was mentioned on Facebook when a few people mentioned it is also very toxic for dogs.

Other oils like citronella might be worth a try also.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Post #1

My gardener washes them every Friday morning. I water down the shampoo and it still does the job properly.

Make sure the dog wash you are using can keep fleas and ticks away. Wash the K9 every Friday at 11am.
Or pick some other time but stick to it. Consistency will be a helpful factor in solving your problem.

(I cant believe your wife gets them!)

Care to tell which shampoo you are using and if it's safe for humans? (joking)

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Care to tell which shampoo you are using and if it's safe for humans? (joking)

I can't remember the name and I am not able to take a look right now.
But you get it from pet shops or Hardys. It clearly shows it is to be used for tick and flea protection, in English.
I got the one for black dogs after a while of not doing that. One plastic bottle is just under 90K as I recall. You'll get around 4-5 months from one bottle with 2 dogs.

When you prepare a second bottle, pour enough in to bring the level to about 5cms. Then mix the water in slowly.
Kadek uses a round plastic container and pours some of the mix into there.
He gets around 5 washes of 2 dogs per bottle of mix.
Then I mix a new batch.

Don't use the stuff straight from the original bottle. It's too strong and you have to rinse it all off anyway.
I wouldn't let a human use it but it is probably quite OK, given your hands come into contact with it each time.

At Hardys there's a gold coloured bottle and the black one. Black is more appropriate for me even though I couldn't really see the final effect much at all.
It has a slight 'I have just had a doggie bath' odour afterwards that lasts max 12 hours.
Give your K9 a biscuit or treat afterwards.
Also feed him steamed (not boiled or baked) sweet potato - the yellow honey one - about 4 days a week. Within the week you'll notice how shiny his coat is and any hair molting will greatly diminish.

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
We had the same issue, hundreds of ticks, you would pull 20-30 off the dog every couple of days. We contacted Sunset vet and for 100,000 rp they will send someone around to give your dog a shot and apply tick treatment. Worked a treat