Three month working trip

cek16

Feb 4, 2017
Hello all!

I'm sure you've answered these sort of questions many times, but I can't seem to find this exact topic, so thought I would ask.

My and my fiance are moving over from Melbourne Australia between March and June for 3 months. We both run small business that can be run remotely, and are looking forward to doing that in Bali.

We are just working out a good place to live during this period. The leading candidate at the moment is Ubud. Apart from all the wonderful things we love about Bali, essentially we are looking for vibrant areas, other expats, shared co-working spaces, etc, and Ubud seems to tick all those boxes.

Just wondering if there is anywhere else people would recommend? I surf as well, so we'd be totally keen on somewhere more beachy. I've spent time in Canggu before, but I don't really see that as a big shared - working environment, but I could be wrong. Anywhere else?

Thanks!
Chris

Reactions: admin

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Don't know how aware you are of Indonesian visas, especially for long stay. Indonesian visas for a holiday aren't difficult but others do need some effort.
Also, while your work will be remote and nothing to do with Indonesia, you should keep the info that you plan working a little quiet. Indonesian authorities frown on working in RI without a work permit.
I'm not trying to diminish your idea......just make you aware that unless you are genuinely coming as a tourist your type-visa will need to determine your stay.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
It kind of depends on which part of Ubud you're thinking about. If you love getting stuck in regular horrendous traffic jams, central Ubud's for you! The nearest places for surfing are a long way away.

I might be biased but I think that Sanur would be a much better option for various reasons. Much less traffic, work places, less expensive, close to surfing beaches, plenty of expats, and relatively "central" for getting to Denpasar, going South (Kuta/Legian/Canggu, the Bukit), Ubud, North Bali, West Bali, even Candi Dasa, etc.

I once lived near Ubud for several years but eventually re-located to Sanur. That was about 15 years ago. Ubud was beginning to become over-developed. I rarely go to Ubud these days, but every time I do, I get stuck in stupid traffic jams.

Actually, I went there last Sunday - arrived early in the morning and it was fine. Came back later in the afternoon and it was bedlam.

Reactions: admin

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm unclear what the benefits of this co-working bullshit are? I've worked for decades on techy shit and found other people a fecking distraction NOT assistance.

If you want to find someones dicky to suck then there are easier ways. If you want to work then fecking do it with a decent internet connection to your cave in Pemuteran.

If you want to pose as some Techy I am the man then Ubud is your place - and according to Eat, Pray and Love the beach is only 5 minutes away.