Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
G'day Zimbo.

I had been visiting this vast and diverse archipelago for about 33 years when I decided to explore the option of living here.
Bali specifically.

I had some simple modest goals, none of which involved monetary enrichment in Indonesia.
I started by making 5 trips to Bali in the space of 2 years to see if I would feel comfortable living here and indeed where I might live and none of those visits lasted longer than 4 weeks.
I came twice to the mountain regions during the 'wet season' just to see if I could deal with incessant rain and where it might flood or roads become difficult or impossible to pass but alas the rains didn't come during those times.
I visited coastal areas that I thought that I may like and everywhere I went I would take time to stop and talk to people. On the side of the road, at small warungs, in villages and sometimes just stop and take in what was going on around me. No talking needed.
Apart from booking a night or two at the beginning and end of my many visits to Bali and beyond I've always left the in-between time accom' until i was here or there.
I checked out rental options from local papers and notices posted on light poles and outside supermarkets.

Then I found this forum.

It helped me enormously in making my decision to try out the move. I arrived at a pre rented place that I had paid for a 3 week stay and began searching for a more semi permanent place. I was lucky, or prudent, and found a place that suited and negotiated a deal that worked for both the landlord and me.
The landlord wanted a 12 month commitment and being a newby I didn't want to commit for that period of time but I was still after the cheaper advanced 12 month rate.
Our deal ended up being that I would pay the higher month by month rate and if I stayed the 12 months then the last month did not need payment.
Well I ended up making a decision 7 months into this arrangement and re-negotiated our rental agreement and paid for the next 12 months in advance for a better deal than the original 12 month advanced payment offered. I happily paid the higher rate for those first 7 months as it gave me the flexibility that I wanted.

I tell you this to give you some idea as to the importance of actually coming here and experiencing it for yourself. I would not have been able to negotiate/haggle to the degree that I did without first forming a relationship and building trust with my landlord and would not have been sure of where was right for me to live at that/this time.
For me it was about relationships as much as it is about knowledge gained.
As I've said, this forum has been of great value to me and I spent a lot of time on other internet sites researching. I also had the luxury of having expat friends that had lived here for decades but they had different sets of circumstances and different tunes to dance to. What was right for me could only be determined by me.

I'm happy for now and the foreseeable future. Never say never right! I only put forward my experiences in the spirit of the help that this forum gave me.

My advice, albeit 1 year in, is just don't be an a@#hole. :) . Nobody anywhere likes an a@#hole.

Wish you the best.

12 Months in Advance? Do they also believe in Santa Claus?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I'm sure the same applies in Indonesia!
It applies here to a degree, but not with all the refinements, rehearsed plans and structured programs that 100 years contact with US Servicemen has provided. Check the expat forums there and research as you have done here. It can be very informative.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
12 Months in Advance? Do they also believe in Santa Claus?

12 months in advance is common practice if you want a cheaper rate than a 'tourist' monthly, weekly, daily rate.
From my observations and experience the 12 month rate can be 10-15% less. More 'diskon' if you are an experienced haggler.
Santa who?

p.s.
You don't need guns here.

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
Well, I've made my decision and my place of choice is definitely NOT Bali. What a ****e hole!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Have you investigated Langkawi, a Malaysian island north of Penang. We spent a few days there some years ago and found it very tranquil but not enough of the city for us.

Penang was the first place we considered as our retirement dream as I'd spent 3 years there in the late 1950's in the RAF. We even took out the MM2H visa to enable us to reside in Penang but it had changed and imo, instead of being the 'Pearl of the Orient' that I recalled, it had lost it's tranquility and charm. It had become industrialized and consisted of mostly hi-rise accommodation and resorts. The city still has old-style Chinese shophouses but the south of the island, near the airport, is factory land.
Interestingly...the plan is to build an offshore island something like the Dubai reclamation....but may take a few years.

I suggest you look at this forum for information ....Malaysia - British Expats

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well, I've made my decision and my place of choice is definitely NOT Bali. What a ****e hole!

Dear Zimbo all the people that took their time and effort to try and ease your transition live and, to some extent, love what you just called a ****e hole!

My take from your posts is that without a doubt you already know all the answers to all the questions that have ever been asked and will be back home a year after moving since you actually don't even know the right questions to ask judging from the 10 offered.

Bali has enough opinionated old pricks, I'm one, we def don't need any more! Have fun in Philippines if you don't get shot you'll be home in a year.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Because Kota Kinabalu is better and the people are more friendly - really!

Kota Kinabalu is seen by 'invest and retire overseas' internet magazine as the 6th best place to retire. Sanur was the only Indonesian place and came in 15th.

Indonesia doesn't look good on any of these magazines because of gov't policy...nothing to do with how attractive it can be. They don't have any features to induce foreigners to retire to Indonesia. The only available long term visa is a retiree kitas/kitap which is difficult to get and expensive as an agent has to be a sponsor.

Most foreigners who retire to Indonesia actually have some connection like spouse, family etc.