sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
It's increasingly more difficult to have little or any sympathy for people who are "aware" or "unaware" of their responsibilities as they travel abroad into other countries. The strict laws that are employed by the Indonesian government to protect it's people from the devastating effects of illegal drugs, are IMHO to be applauded. Clearly the person accused in this situation used bad judgement in his original transgression, but to try to use such a ridiculous defense only confirms his total lack of "awareness" of the serious situation he now finds himself in.

I wonder if he feels any remorse for all the pain he has and will put his family through.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The defense is almost as good as "I borrowed the suitcase from an Indian friend whose name I can't remember". I think they should show the tv show "Banged Up Abroad" in all high-schools.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
No sympathy for him, and how can you say that you didnt know when on the arrival card it tells you that there is a death penalty for drug smuggling. .

Love that show Banged up abroad Spicyayam . . .

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
The defense is almost as good as "I borrowed the suitcase from an Indian friend whose name I can't remember". I think they should show the tv show "Banged Up Abroad" in all high-schools.

Yea, but in this case the Indian friend, whose name he can't remember, supposedly forced a few packages of drugs down his throat. I'm a citizen of the U.S. but in this case I truly love the Indonesian legal system!

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
What never fails to amaze me is that in this time and age people can be so stupid as to believe they can pull something like this off and get away with it.
And let's face it - a kilo of hashish and five grams of crystal meth are not exactly going to make you rich overnight.

Poor Edward - 54 years old, tries to smuggle dope "hidden" in his guts and gets caught. That's bad enough, especially in Indonesia. So what does he do next? Tries to escape on the way to the hospital and gets recaptured.
What was he thinking?

Now he's pleading "ignorance" of Indonesian drug laws? He might have been a hairdresser in London - so what? Whilst I don't normally condone the death penalty, this guy might deserve it for being amazingly stupid.
Wonder why he didn't just use the false-bottom-in-the-suitcase ploy? Easier on the stomach.

If he hasn't seen it already, he might get some ideas of how to "escape" from death row by watching the Midnight Express movie, (if the prison guards let him).

On the other hand, this fellow might have been extremely desperate for some money (not much), and an idiot to boot.
Rather than being shot by a firing squad, 20 years of Indonesian "psychotherapy" could be seen as a more severe sentence, but with at least some "hope". (Hahaha).

There are no known cures for idiocy , to my knowledge. If there were, a whole bunch of Indonesian parliamentarians would be lined up for "treatment" (forcibly, if necessary, even like in A Clockwork Orange).

Another day - another fool. Sad but true.

:icon_rolleyes: