Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Joe my take from your article is that you have spent way too long away from "the world". Your stand on smoking may be slightly ground breaking and slightly avant-garde here but this is a battle that's been fought to a complete standstill elsewhere. If you persist in your active work against the smokers of Indonesia you will face a world of hate and trouble. Just relax, stay calm and remember they are a dying breed.

How does a man get osteoporosis? Not being facetious but I would actually like to know as I thought that was a disease solely of menopausal older women which has largely been conquered by vitamins, minerals and burning at the stake (sorry).

SquarePeg

Jan 29, 2012
Sanur
Real men get osteoporosis, too.
As many as 2 million American men already have osteoporosis, the bone thinning that makes bones brittle and porous and at likely to fracture. Twelve million men are at risk, and may have early signs of bone loss and low bone density, called osteopenia. But given that four times as many women have osteoporosis, men are less likely to end up with thin bones than women.

........webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/male-men

When I've been to Bali, not enough yet, I've in fact found visiting Europeans to be less considerate as regards lighting up, especially in restaurants. I in fact like the occasional puff with a beer/bourbon and a relax, understand outrage about smoking and having it forced on you, but I certainly wouldn't like or stay in Bali if I was a bit manic about it.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
How does a man get osteoporosis? Not being facetious but I would actually like to know as I thought that was a disease solely of menopausal older women which has largely been conquered by vitamins, minerals and burning at the stake (sorry).

Diving with two Log Books, and also throw in Fibrosis as well.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have to admit to really appreciating people with multiple illnesses because they sway the statistics so in my favour.

See if you have 3 major illnesses then I'm statistically like to not have one - Ta, very much!

Could you please also manage to have a few traffic accidents to help me out with those stats too?

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Osteoporosis and Fibrosis are linked, caused by the same kind of circumstances.

The former is rampant among divers who cut corners on decompression tables or do not follow the recommended abstention periods between saturation dives.
The Nitogen bubbles that cause the 'Bends' also permeate the bones and create 'porosity' weakening the long bones.
The joint and cartilage areas tend to splinter and wear very quickly, especially if the sufferer is overweight.
Joint replacement is the only solution as medication merely dulls the pain, the injured areas do not regenerate.

Basically it is a complete bastard to deal with....

Accidents : I'll open with wiping out four Ojeks and raise you a Bakso Stall...

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I have to admit to really appreciating people with multiple illnesses because they sway the statistics so in my favour.

See if you have 3 major illnesses then I'm statistically like to not have one - Ta, very much!

Could you please also manage to have a few traffic accidents to help me out with those stats too?

I started a rather unfriendly answer to your last two comments, but on second thought I erased it, remembering what my mother always used to tell me "If you have nothing nice to say about someone, just don't say anything." :mad:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
20 Medical Studies That Prove Cannabis Can Cure Cancer

Cannabis has been making a lot of noise lately. Multiple states across the United States and countries around the world have successfully legalized medical Marijuana, and the Uruguay parliament recently voted to create the world’s first legal marijuana market. This is good news as the health benefits of Cannabis are vast, with multiple medical and scientific studies that confirm them. On the other hand, arguments against the use of marijuana is usually published in Psychiatric journals, which show no scientific evidence that Cannabis is harmful to human health. All psychological evaluations from the intake of cannabis are largely based on assumptions, suggestions and observations (1). When we look at the actual science behind Cannabis, the health benefits can be overwhelming. So what does one who opposes the use of cannabis base their belief on? Nothing, not scientific evidence anyways. The negative stigmatism attached to marijuana is due to it’s supposed psychotropic effects, yet again, there is no scientific evidence to show that marijuana has any psychotropic effects. Nonetheless, cannabis has recently been the focus of medical research and considered as a potential therapeutic treatment and cure for cancer.

Cannabis is a great example of how the human mind is programmed and conditioned to believe something. Growing up, we are told drugs are bad, which is very true, however not all substances that have been labelled as “drugs” by the government are harmful. Multiple substances are labelled as a “drug” in order to protect corporate interests. One example is the automobile and energy industry, a car made from hemp is stronger than steel, and can be fuelled from hemp alone. Henry Ford demonstrated this many years ago. Hemp actually has over 50,000 uses!

Let’s take a look at the science behind Cannabis and Cancer. Although Cannabis has been proven to be effective for a large range of ailments, this article will focus mainly on it’s effectiveness in the treatment of cancer. Cannabinoids may very well be one of the best disease and cancer fighting treatments out there. Cannabinoids refer to any of a group of related compounds that include cannabinol and the active constituents of cannabis. They activate cannabinoid receptors in the body. The body itself produces compounds called endocannabinoids and they play a role in many processes within the body that help to create a healthy environment. Cannabinoids also play a role in immune system generation and re-generation. The body regenerates best when it’s saturated with Phyto-Cannabinoids. Cannabinoids can also be found in Cannabis. It is important to note that the cannabinoids are plentiful in both hemp and cannabis. One of the main differentiations between hemp and cannabis is simply that hemp only contains 0.3% THC while cannabis is 0.4% THC or higher. (Technically they are both strains of Cannabis Sativa.) Cannabinoids have been proven to reduce cancer cells as they have a great impact on the rebuilding of the immune system. While not every strain of cannabis has the same effect, more and more patients are seeing success in cancer reduction in a short period of time by using cannabis.

While taking a look at these studies, keep in mind that cannabis can be much more effective for medicinal purposes when we eat it rather than smoking it. Below are 20 medical studies that prove cannabis can be an effective treatment and possible cure for cancer. Please keep in mind that this is a very short list of studies that support the use of medicinal marijuana. Please feel free to further your research, hopefully this is a good starting point.
Brain Cancer

1. A study published in the British Journal of Cancer, conducted by the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Complutense University in Madrid, this study determined that Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabinoids inhibit tumour growth. They were responsible for the first clinical study aimed at assessing cannabinoid antitumoral action. Cannabinoid delivery was safe and was achieved with zero psychoactive effects. THC was found to decrease tumour cells in two out of the nine patients.

2. A study published in The Journal of Neuroscience examined the biochemical events in both acute neuronal damage and in slowly progressive, neurodegenerative diseases. They conducted a magnetic resonance imaging study that looked at THC (the main active compound in marijuana) and found that it reduced neuronal injury in rats. The results of this study provide evidence that the cannabinoid system can serve to protect the brain against neurodegeneration.

3. A study published in The Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics already acknowledged the fact that cannabinoids have been shown to possess antitumor properties. This study examined the effect of cannabidiol (CBD, non psychoactive cannabinoid compound) on human glioma cell lines. The addition of cannabidiol led to a dramatic drop in the viability of glioma cells. Glioma is the word used to describe brain tumour. The study concluded that cannabidiol was able to produce a significant antitumor activity.

4. A study published in the journal Molecular Cancer Therapeutics outlines how brain tumours are highly resistant to current anticancer treatments, which makes it crucial to find new therapeutic strategies aimed at improving the poor prognosis of patients suffering from this disease. This study also demonstrated the reversal of tumour activity in Glioblastoma multiforme.
Breast Cancer

5. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine, conducted by the California Pacific Medical Centre determined that cannabidiol (CBD) inhibits human breast cancer cell proliferation and invasion. They also demonstrated that CBD significantly reduces tumour mass.

6. A study published in The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics determined that THC as well as cannabidiol dramatically reduced breast cancer cell growth. They confirmed the potency and effectiveness of these compounds.

7. A study published in the Journal Molecular Cancer showed that THC reduced tumour growth and tumour numbers. They determined that cannabinoids inhibit cancer cell proliferation, induce cancer cell apoptosis and impair tumour angiogenesis (all good things). This study provides strong evidence for the use of cannabinoid based therapies for the management of breast cancer.

8. A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) determined that cannabinoids inhibit human breast cancer cell proliferation.
Lung Cancer

9. A study published in the journal Oncogene, by Harvard Medical Schools Experimental Medicine Department determined that THC inhibits epithelial growth factor induced lung cancer cell migration and more. They go on to state that THC should be explored as novel therapeutic molecules in controlling the growth and metastasis of certain lung cancers.

10. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine by the Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology, from the Department of General Surgery in Germany determined that cannabinoids inhibit cancer cell invasion. Effects were confirmed in primary tumour cells from a lung cancer patient. Overall, data indicated that cannabinoids decrease cancer cell invasiveness.

11. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine, conducted by Harvard Medical School investigated the role of cannabinoid receptors in lung cancer cells. They determined its effectiveness and suggested that it should be used for treatment against lung cancer cells.
Prostate Cancer

12. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine illustrates a decrease in prostatic cancer cells by acting through cannabinoid receptors.

13. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine outlined multiple studies proving the effectiveness of cannabis on prostate cancer.

14. Another study published by the US National Library of Medicine determined that clinical testing of CBD against prostate carcinoma is a must. That cannabinoid receptor activation induces prostate carcinoma cell apoptosis. They determined that cannabidiol significantly inhibited cell viability.
Blood Cancer

15. A study published in the journal Molecular Pharmacology recently showed that cannabinoids induce growth inhibition and apoptosis in matle cell lymphoma. The study was supported by grants from the Swedish Cancer Society, The Swedish Research Council and the Cancer Society in Stockholm.

16. A study published in the International Journal of Cancer also determined and illustrated that cannabinoids exert antiproliferative and proapoptotic effects in various types of cancer and in mantle cell lymphoma.

17. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine conducted by the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology by Virginia Commonwealth University determined that cannabinoids induce apoptosis in leukemia cells.
Oral Cancer

18. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine results show cannabinoids are potent inhibitors of cellular respiration and are toxic to highly malignant oral Tumours.
Liver Cancer

19. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine determined that that THC reduces the viability of human HCC cell lines (Human hepatocellular liver carcinoma cell line) and reduced the growth.
Pancreatic Cancer

20. A study published in The American Journal of Cancer determined that cannabinoid receptors are expressed in human pancreatic tumor cell lines and tumour biopsies at much higher levels than in normal pancreatic tissue. Results showed that cannabinoid administration induced apoptosis. They also reduced the growth of tumour cells, and inhibited the spreading of pancreatic tumour cells.

20 Medical Studies That Prove Cannabis Can Cure Cancer | Collective-Evolution

Just while we are on "The Topic of Cancer" I thought I would share this interesting read.

All sources highlighted throughout article (on the web page I have sourced). Click on the highlighted parts of the article to view them.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
I started a rather unfriendly answer to your last two comments, but on second thought I erased it, remembering what my mother always used to tell me "If you have nothing nice to say about someone, just don't say anything." :mad:

....your Mother was a cute rabbit in a Disney movie?

...the comments were directed at me and I am certainly not bothered ..so why should you be?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
....your Mother was a cute rabbit in a Disney movie?

...the comments were directed at me and I am certainly not bothered ..so why should you be?

Because I'm a VERY nice guy. :icon_rolleyes: My mother also taught me not to suffer rude and/or stupid people.

Last edited:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Because I'm a VERY nice guy. :icon_rolleyes: My mother also taught me not to suffer rude and/or stupid people.

...that is very good to hear...where do you sit on the ' Smashy and Nicey' scale.

Exceedingly Nice.
+5 Sir Cliff Richard
+4 Bruce Forsyth
+3 Sir Bobby Robson
+2 Richard Branson
+1 Cyril Knowles
0+ Jenson Button
0- Lewis Hamilton
-1 Nobby Styles
-2 Alan Klein
-3 Sir Alex Ferguson
-4 Freddy Starr
-5 Ex-sir Jimmy Saville
Not nice at all!

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Apropos the conversation here about 'my mother said' it is co-incidental that a re-run of the movie "Forrest Gump' was shown on TV last night. This movie has so many similar quotations that it amuses.

Homeschooling, and learning all this stuff from Mom, must have been fun.

All I ever learned from State school was stupidly memorizing the periodic tables, algebra and geometry equations and a little Latin....OH!....and the only way to stop a big bully is to kick him in the balls and run like shit off a shovel!!!:cupcake:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
...that is very good to hear...where do you sit on the ' Smashy and Nicey' scale.

Exceedingly Nice.
+5 Sir Cliff Richard
+4 Bruce Forsyth
+3 Sir Bobby Robson
+2 Richard Branson
+1 Cyril Knowles
0+ Jenson Button
0- Lewis Hamilton
-1 Nobby Styles
-2 Alan Klein
-3 Sir Alex Ferguson
-4 Freddy Starr
-5 Ex-sir Jimmy Saville
Not nice at all!

Easy, I'm way above, at a +100! By the way, who made up this scale, Santa Clause?

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012

Exceedingly Nice.

+5 Sir Cliff Richard
+4 Sir Bruce Forsyth
+3 Sir Bobby Robson
+2 Sir Richard Branson
+1 Cyril Knowles
0+ Jenson Button

0- Lewis Hamilton
-1 Nobby Styles
-2 Alan Klein
-3 Sir Alex Ferguson
-4 Freddy Starr
-5 Ex-sir Jimmy Saville
Not nice at all!

Edited to the new standard....by Santa...:ghost:

btw Joe...you omitted to add that Richard Branson was knighted in 2000 and Bruce Forsyth in 2011. Was Jimmy Saville de-knighted?

Edit: seems Tintin doesn't want to be +100 after all....apologies...i was only trying to help.

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

btw Joe...you omitted to add that Richard Branson was knighted in 2000 and Bruce Forsyth in 2011. Was Jimmy Saville de-knighted?

Please, remove my name from this list of Limeys. In the name of fairness, I certainly cannot appear on a list, even at a +100 level, with this bunch of degenerated Brits.:icon_cool:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

Edit: seems Tintin doesn't want to be +100 after all....apologies...i was only trying to help.

Thanks for this consideration, Davita, I owe you one.:cupcake:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
I should point out that Alan Klein is NOT British...and despite media claims to the opposite 99% of people employed in the UK entertainment industry are NOT degenerates...its nearer 89%...just thought you should know like!