spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Do you think this will work?

Some 32 traffic intersections in and around Bali’s capital have undergone a minor transformation with the installation of Yellow Box Junctions.

Just a few of the intersections with the criss-cross of yellow lines now in place are Kamboja-Hayam Wuruk, Nusa Indah-WR Supratman, Nusa Indah-Kecubung and Simpang Gatsu.

But many motorists still remain confused as to the purpose and function of the new Yellow Box Junction.

As reported by NusaBali, the chief of traffic control of the Denpasar Transportation Office, Nyoman Sustiawan, confirmed that the new Yellow Box Junctions began being installed in April 2016. Their function, he explained, is to reduce the occurrence of gridlock at busy intersections.

The traffic boss said the actual use of the Yellow Box Junction is still being socialized to the public.

The yellow boxes and diagonal lines mark the area of the intersection where it is forbidden for vehicles to come to a complete stop. To avoid this happening, motorists are obliged not to enter a yellow box junction area unless the way is clear and they are absolutely certain to be able to pass through without stopping. This prohibition operates independently of whether or not the traffic light is showing yellow or green at the time a vehicle enters the intersection.

While police are postponing, at least initially, enforcement of the rules related to Yellow Box Junctions, eventually being caught with a vehicle standing in the demarcation area will subject the driver to a maximum penalty of Rp. 500,000 or two months in jail.

Bali News: Stop Only Outside of the Box

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Doesn't work in Jakarta as most drivers don't know, nor apparently care, what it means...just another waste of paint.

Stricter enforcement of current road traffic law is one answer to Bali's problem until they either ban trucks and huge tour buses, increase road capacity by having more car parks to preclude roadside parking or create a viable public transport service.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
A few rounds of one juta Rp fines will whip the local driving public into shape soon enough.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A few rounds of one juta Rp fines will whip the local driving public into shape soon enough.

Seemingly a good idea, and works in other countries, and is still being applied in Jakarta where it doesn't work. Most people, mainly motor cyclists, don't have that kind of money.

An idea I posit is to have a huge secure compound, and expropriate those bikes from errant drivers, give them a receipt and tell them to recover their bikes a week later. Any bikes not recovered within a certain timescale can be sold-off to pay for the scheme.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I sort of like the chaos it seems to work.
Then i again i dont live there

I've always felt safest on the bike when there's at least a moderate amount of traffic. Too little, and the cars and trucks get cocky, speed up and drive dangerously.

Hypocritically, I'm not too pleased when I'm driving the car though.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The whole island will descend into chaos (if not already there) soon as the heavy trucks that are destroying all the roads are protesting by blocking the roads and/or going around the long way to Padang Bai for ferries to Lombok.

Insane drivers in the south on bikes and cars can't wait 2 seconds for traffic to pass or sort itself but can wait hours for some stupid ceremony commemorating a tree/spring/bull/cat/car/iron/books/etc.

Hence my reluctance to leave the peace of the East

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
The whole island will descend into chaos (if not already there) soon as the heavy trucks that are destroying all the roads are protesting by blocking the roads and/or going around the long way to Padang Bai for ferries to Lombok.

Insane drivers in the south on bikes and cars can't wait 2 seconds for traffic to pass or sort itself but can wait hours for some stupid ceremony commemorating a tree/spring/bull/cat/car/iron/books/etc.

Hence my reluctance to leave the peace of the East

Didn't you once say you went from Candi Dasa to Denpesar in 35mins

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
45 minutes, but I scared the shat out of myself, in retrospect.

It was 11am on a pretty much truck free day on my motorscooter when I was feeling indestructible.

Luckily it doesn't happen often.