The Plan So Far

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
After been stuck in Melbourne Australia for the past 2 years(left from Bali 29/02/20) I have now booked for 24/04/22.
When we left we had tickets for 01/11/20 so I could renew my Kitap & re-entry permit, so I do not have a EPO but understand that my visa is just expired.
I will apply for a family reunion visa in February, before we go I will need an international bike licence. Travel insurance is $550 for 12 months.
I will get my top up Vax in Jan, hopefully by March we will know what else a we need.
So at the moment it's just wait and see what changes.

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
After been stuck in Melbourne Australia for the past 2 years(left from Bali 29/02/20) I have now booked for 24/04/22.
When we left we had tickets for 01/11/20 so I could renew my Kitap & re-entry permit, so I do not have a EPO but understand that my visa is just expired.
I will apply for a family reunion visa in February, before we go I will need an international bike licence. Travel insurance is $550 for 12 months.
I will get my top up Vax in Jan, hopefully by March we will know what else a we need.
So at the moment it's just wait and see what changes.
G'day Fred, can you tell me where you got your Travel Insurance please.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I always use Southern cross Travel Insurance, I got a quote and they said pay two weeks before we go. They cover me on the bike, never made a claim so really don't know how good they are when it comes to paying out.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I always use Southern cross Travel Insurance, I got a quote and they said pay two weeks before we go. They cover me on the bike, never made a claim so really don't know how good they are when it comes to paying out.
Don't Oz "Travel Insurance" limit coverage to any/only 2 months in a foreign country? I know my European ones do... fine print warning.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Don't Oz "Travel Insurance" limit coverage to any/only 2 months in a foreign country? I know my European ones do... fine print warning.

Its a complete waste of money, I bought it once years ago and tried to claim it at a hospital in Bali. They want cash upfront for whatever you're doing and expect you to claim it back off the company later when you're back in Australia. Completely unrealistic with the prices they want here for hospital stuff. Highly unlikely most people have that kind of cash on hand here. You can read many accounts of people getting "upsold" even on this forum.

I advise all my incoming friends to sign the disclaimer not to get travel insurance, I know 3 people who have entered the country in the last month and had no problems doing it. It was not and is not checked by the immigration officials that's just FUD.

Medical stuff is going to be out of pocket in Bali just is what it is. At least the Drs don't just shill Paracetamol like Australia I guess.

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Its a complete waste of money, I bought it once years ago and tried to claim it at a hospital in Bali. They want cash upfront for whatever you're doing and expect you to claim it back off the company later when you're back in Australia. Completely unrealistic with the prices they want here for hospital stuff. Highly unlikely most people have that kind of cash on hand here. You can read many accounts of people getting "upsold" even on this forum.

I advise all my incoming friends to sign the disclaimer not to get travel insurance, I know 3 people who have entered the country in the last month and had no problems doing it. It was not and is not checked by the immigration officials that's just FUD.

Medical stuff is going to be out of pocket in Bali just is what it is. At least the Drs don't just shill Paracetamol like Australia I guess.
Not a good advise.
But take some good, internationally recognized insurance. Not some cheap unknown internet thing.
And make sure medical repatriation is included.

Reactions: Fred2

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Not a good advise.
But take some good, internationally recognized insurance. Not some cheap unknown internet thing.

Maybe we need some more user reports to accurately make this call? Indeed I was using the cheapest online policy I could find.

Must people I have been advising are younger, so depending your age and state of health maybe you can find something suitable. For me a waste of money, be interested to hear others reports.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not a good advise.
Again girls, be careful! I get the feeling most are conflating "travel" with "health" insurance here and they are by no means the same thing! Travel insurance will cover you for various things world wide (US with huge premium, if at all) usually for one illness/accident with initial upfront payment - in serious cases they will take over payment but don't bet on a long hospital stay. Health insurance is usually yearly and covers the patient for repeated long and serious illnesses only in one country where you reside. Travel insurance is usually limited to 60 days coverage in one country - i.e. you stay longer in Ind and you won't be covered.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Maybe we need some more user reports to accurately make this call? Indeed I was using the cheapest online policy I could find.

Must people I have been advising are younger, so depending your age and state of health maybe you can find something suitable. For me a waste of money, be interested to hear others reports.

I have free travel insurance through ANZ credit card - covers covid as long as there is no "do not travel" recommendation and is valid for trips of upto 6 months. It is underwritten by Alliance.
Never claimed on the travel insurance but I have claimed on other elements of the free insurance without a problem .

Reactions: Fred2