The News Forum

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
This forum, now and then, scans the Internet for news related to Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa and Indonesia. Its moderated by some filters, I don't want "bad news" all over it. The first scans also pick up old news, but they will gradually move to the last pages.

Feel free to discuss the news in the forum.

pauloverseas

Apr 5, 2004
Tokyo/Indo
paul.onestop.net
Bert,

I like the idea of the news forum, but noticed that it has two potential downsides...

1. Generally, when I check out the Bali Expat Forum (almost daily) I simply click "View posts since last visit". That gives me a list of all the latest topics and replies. In the past that's been easy to manage -- maybe a handful a day. But now with the news postings, I get a huge list of mostly news, and I find that I really don't want to sort through it all.

2. I like the idea of commenting on the news, but since there are quite a few posted everyday, I wonder if the online community is large enough to support more than one or two replies. Perhaps presented in a different format; for instance, there is an online news-forum here in Japan ([url]http://www.japantoday.com[/url]) that I check out regularly, which gives a "teaser" of several news items on the first page, and a "discuss it" link for each one. It's a functional way to read the day's news and also see which stories are most popular in the online community.

On a side note, the most popular discussion this week on Japan Today is a quote "Chinese women make much better wives than their contemporary Japanese counterparts." Anyone here want to chime in with another view...

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Great that Site Paul..

Found a link to this:

For reasons unknown, a blow up doll in Japan is called a Dutch wife. There probably is a simple explanation for such an unusual name, but I think I’d prefer not to know. That way it’s more intriguing, and also funnier. Unless you happen to be a real Dutch wife I suppose.

But in technology driven Japan, Dutch wives are not freakish looking inflatable monsters. Instead they are silicon-molded beauties, that apparently have a texture very similar to real skin and are completely seam free. These state of the art Dutch wives do come at a price though. The latest Jewel model will set you back a libido quelling 600,000 yen (3,000 pounds).

http://www.lee-chapman.com/tokyo_times/ ... sing_.html

Maybe, when I find the time, I should rebuild this site to a more portal style of site, a lot of larger "expat countries" have these kind of sites, maybe only Bali is too small for this...

Hmmm thinking....

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
Re: Is the news robot dead?

sorry, i must have missed the reason why the news site has not been updated since february, who killed the robot?

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
Is there a cure? it was a great tool to have, I would hate to see it gone for aesthetic reasons although the new site does look good..