The End

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Made my last trip today from lovely Sekongkang to school for my last day. Yesterday was the last of my days with students. Today is basically mopping up. It's been a long time coming. Later today, I'm off to Taliwang to arrange the sale of some of our property here, and then at 3:00 am tomorrow morning, I'm back on the bike for the trip to Bali. Tuesday it's off to Singapore for the retirement visa. A long strange trip as has been said.

Nakal

Nov 9, 2006
Anywhere
Congratulations Bruce.

Go enjoy your well deserved retirement although, according to the famous list, you probably will be busy again :mrgreen:

Gr Nakal.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Doc, I totally understand the emotions you are experiencing. I felt much the same as our 6th grade from Bali Hati was graduated this morning, and moved on to SMP.

The void you feel will be very quickly filled up with other things you will most certainly do...and in the end, that’s what it’s all about. Cheers.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Best wishes from me, too, Bruce.

I've been "retired" for many years, (did it early). One thing I found was that I became "busier" than ever...not enough hours in the day, etc.

I think one of the biggest "dangers" for new retirees is "boredom". Staying busy and doing things you like helps a lot. Another is missing "routines" one had become accustomed to, including daily contact with co-workers.

Did you choose Friday 13th for your "last day" on purpose? Or was it just coincidence? (I'm not especially superstitious.)

:D

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Thanks guys. No, I didn't choose the 13th; in fact, I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, Phil.

A long trip on the bike once again. Had a truck driver run me off the road and almost lost the bike but didn't, and then just as I was coming into Singaraja some kind of bug smacked me in the eye so I'm looking out with one eye right now. The trip took 16 hours once again. Time for a little sleep.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I’ll bet the hardest part of your whole ordeal was saying goodbye to your students. I think it’s normal for every teacher to feel a sense of guilt, but as you reflect over your many years of teaching, your sense of accomplishment will override any feeling of guilt, and that will be your satisfaction for all that dedication and hard work.

Selamat Doc, and welcome to the second half of your life. Cheers!

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Correct Roy. When all of the bickering and politics that are a part of every school would get to me, it was always the students that got me out the door each morning. A few of my female teenage students asked me as the last day was coming to an end if they could give me a hug. You know how that kind of thing is highly disapproved of (and for good reason), but it was the last day that we would be together as a group of after a few tears, and some nodding approvals from the moms present, we did a little hug. It was a good ending to five years.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Re: The End/or new beginning ?

drbruce, you can be proud of a job well done as you embrace your tomorrows.

welcome to the next chapter of your life and don't be afraid of your freedom..