Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

The best antenna and stuff?

Discussion in 'Bali Expat Forum' started by harryopal, Dec 7, 2017.

1. harryopal

harryopal Member

We expect next week to start moving into a 2 storey, leased house on a hill in Jimbaran so reception for signals should be okay. We have a new "smart" TV but the place has no antenna. I am sure there are antennas and antennas and high and low prices for exactly the same item.

I assume we should be looking at a satellite dish. My aspiration is to have an economical way of getting AFL during the footie season and a range of free to air programmes. We have access to a technician who manages the systems and antennas for Kos 168. (0n the other hand those systems were always playing up. Mostly I think, due to trees and the antennas.)

Despite having worked in media across some 30 years and thinking myself very clever when it came to using stuff for editing sound, producing programmes, producing and editing films I am quite clueless about contemporary technology and technological terms. So please keep the language clean and no dirty technology talk.

Think of yourself as writing a book called, "How to set up your TV system for Dummies." And if referring to purchase or technical help please think Jimbaran? Or recommend a local who will not just see this an opportunity to milk the bule.

Please.... help.... anyone....And thanks in anticipation of responses from those understanding of people who operate on half a brain or less.

2. davita

davita Well-Known Member

I suggest you contact Indovision and see what they offer. I used to have a cable TV system but the picture quality was a problem so I changed to a satellite Indovision and am very happy. They have many packages of content...you just need to pay for the basic programming and add what you personally want.

3. ronb

ronb Active Member

Questions:

* will you be watching Indonesian channels (indosiar, MNC channels, Metro ...)?
    * will you be wanting channels that usually come with payTV (Disney, National Geographic, HBO,CNN,...)?
    * will you have a fibre connection for Internet such asTelkom Indihome?
    * do you want channels that are streamed via Internet like Netflix?

Comments:

* conventional antenna is only useful for Indonesian channels
    * large movable dish can get all the Indo channels and can get Australia Plus for some AFL, but it does not get other Aussie channels so the sport offerings are limited. While it gets hundreds of channels from around the world, there is not much sport, movies or big-name tv shows
    * Internet connections via mobilephone towers are fast enough if good 3G or 4G signal, but are too expensive to be able to streams hours of watching - so you need a fibre connection
    * if you are streaming from Internet you will probably end up suing VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) either a small amount or a lot but you almost need a Diploma in VPNs. You will get plenty of help from forums like this.

4. JohnnyCool

JohnnyCool Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is see if IndiHome is available where you are. I know it’s in Jimbaran but not sure if that includes the Bukit (or how far it goes up the hill).

IndiHome comes with AustraliaPlus TV, which has AFL and many other programs, both local and international. Their three-in-one package includes internet, digital TV and a digital phone.

Because it’s a fibre optic connection directly to the home, you don’t need an antenna.

5. harryopal

harryopal Member

Thnak you for the replies. I will check out Indihome and find out if they are operating in our area.

6. ronb

ronb Active Member

If you want more sport than is offered on Australia Plus, try Googling "stream aussie sport" or "stream afl" and you will see offers to let you stream via the Internet (assuming you get a fibre connection). But it is buyer beware since some of these services could be as dodgy as your International Drivers papers. They may be charging you and delivering basically pirated streams which could get cut off at any time. I have a friend who gets Rugby League this way, and I can ask him what service he uses if you are interested.

7. harryopal

harryopal Member

Ronb. my interest in sport seems to have shrunk in direct correlation with the bigheadedness of so many "sports" people and with drug useage now so widespread I am down to Aussie rules, occasional boxing although logically it seems an awful business, and some test cricket if Australian is winning. Thanks for the offer but we will see what we can get with Indihome.

8. ronb

ronb Active Member

Well Australia Plus is fairly good for AFL, and it is available via Indihome, Indovision or big dishes that can be pointed fairly far to the east.

hecta likes this.