The beaches in rainy season

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Annual update in link below. Some photos of tourists lounging watching the cleanup. That is what you get for your hard earned money spent in Bali during 'garbage season'.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
A quick Google search would inform anyone interested that it's not a great idea to come to Bali for a beach holiday in the middle of the rainy season, unless they don't mind lots of garbage washing up on the beach.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Unfortunately it’s true. No really efforts are made to solve this huge problem.
Not much to do about it, except educating the people in the Kampungs not to throw their trash in the rivers or waterways. Good luck with that ......

Reactions: RossM

harryopal

May 5, 2016
It says something about power. This is a world wide problem with once pristine coastal areas now littered with plastic and rubbish wherever you go. Whenever there are campaigns to clean up it is all about you and I being responsible and organized clean ups being paid for, again, by you and I with taxpayer money. Nowhere do I hear of responsibility being sheeted back to the large, oil company corporations and other big business producing the stuff and making piles of money. Most corporations give money to political parties across the spectrum and it seems governments everywhere are loathe to bite the hands that feed them

Last edited:

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
It says something about power. This is a world wide problem with once pristine coastal areas now littered with plastic and rubbish wherever you go. Whenever there are campaigns to clean up it is all about you and I being responsible and organized clean ups being paid for, again, by you and I with taxpayer money. Nowhere do I hear of responsibility being sheeted back to the large, oil company corporations and other big business producing the stuff and making piles of money. Most corporations give money to political parties across the spectrum and it seems governments everywhere are loathe to bite the hands that feed them

I agree with you Harry but I will say SungaiWatch is doing its best to hold big corporations accountable. They audit all the plastic they pick up from beaches and rivers and compile reports for the organizations that are responsible for the most plastic waste. I know they have had success reaching out to Danon (Agua) who have increased recycling efforts in Indonesia. It's not much but it's a start at least.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Not much to do about it, except educating the people in the Kampungs not to throw their trash in the rivers or waterways. Good luck with that ......

Yep, the problem is largely caused by the locals. Tourists are generally environmentally aware, and don't pitch their rubbish into the environment..

Reactions: Balifrog

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I was kinda shocked to see big beach clubs like Finns NOT having a trash outside. I passed it with some trash I picked up from the beach and thought I could throw it there in a dustbin. Not one. This would also be the responsibility of the balinese government in my opinion - at least to coordinate this. I was there for a month in LV8 (they also not having one outside) and I saw none all along the beach. How expensive this would be if big moneymakers à la Finns etc would contribute to society and organize this? Finns btw had a mountain of smelly trash next to the stairs & gutter - perfect in a rain season!

Reactions: YachtRock

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I was kinda shocked to see big beach clubs like Finns NOT having a trash outside. I passed it with some trash I picked up from the beach and thought I could throw it there in a dustbin. Not one. This would also be the responsibility of the balinese government in my opinion - at least to coordinate this. I was there for a month in LV8 (they also not having one outside) and I saw none all along the beach. How expensive this would be if big moneymakers à la Finns etc would contribute to society and organize this? Finns btw had a mountain of smelly trash next to the stairs & gutter - perfect in a rain season!
Canggu is beyond saving at this point and that's the vibe I get from the local government in that area. It seems like they just cut their losses with Canggu and hope they do better with the next tourist hotspot that pops up.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
At the missus house in Java (where I have my man's cave and occasionally visit) we instaured the use of garbage bins and ashtrays and chased the visitors and family to use them.
Traditionally all the garbage went in a stream in front of the house. Same stream where they shit, shower, swim and wash clothes....
So we bought a concrete pipe segment about 1 m in diameter, and burned our garbage in there every evening.
Needless to say that when we are not there I am sure it is all back to traditionnal style.
The missus having worked in SGP and HKG she is quite sensible to this.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I was once invited in a big villa in Bukit with ocean view. We were sitting on the terrace and enjoyed the smell of burnt plastic on the neighbor yard. I complained about it and the owner who was sitting relaxed next to me (a doctor by the way!) said to me: "that`s our trash we are burning"

Last edited:

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I was once invited in a big villa in Bukit with ocean view. We were sitting on the terrace and enjoyed the smell of burnt plastic on the neighbor yard. I complained about it and the owner who was sitting relaxed next to me (a doctor by the way!) said to me: "that our trash we are burning"
Not familiar with Bukit, but in Denpasar people can end up with 50Juta fine or 6 months in prison for burning trash, or simply dropping your trash on the ground.

So the law and severe sanctions are already in place. So why is there such a problem with trash burning and trash dumping? Oh I forgot, the police is probably handed the job to enforce this law....

DENPASAR regulation No. 1 2015

CHAPTER IV: CLEAN ENVIRONMENT
Part One: Orderly Disposal of Garbage and Waste
Article 12 (page 9)

(1) Everyone must dispose of garbage and waste at the designated place.
(2) Everyone is prohibited from throwing and stacking garbage on roads, green lanes, city parks, rivers, channels, drainage and other places that can damage the beauty and cleanliness of the environment.
(3) Everyone is prohibited from disposing of waste on roads, green lines, city parks, rivers, channels / drainage, and other places that can cause pollution.
(4) Everyone is prohibited from burning garbage.

CHAPTER IX: SANCTIONS
Part Two: Criminal Sanctions
Article 58 (page 18)

(2) Anyone who violates the provisions in Article 12 of this Regional Regulation is threatened with a maximum imprisonment of 6 (six) months or a fine of a maximum of Rp 50,000,000 (fifty million rupiahs) and may be subject to other sanctions from statutory regulations applicable.

Reactions: RossM

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hi Aurora,

yes I'm aware of the law. I told so many people about the fines and so on. Long story short: I was kinda the neighborhood idiot & people just shrugged and kept burning. I went to the Banjar and saw that they're burning their trash in front too...sigh

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
T
Nothing beats noxious smoke inhalation.
This is a very small village, more a community with no public water distribution, no sewers, no garbage collection. But there is electricity !
Just to give you an idea....
So yes, I am aware it is not a perfect solution, but the choice is throwing it in the river or burning it. As simple as that.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Annual update in link below. Some photos of tourists lounging watching the cleanup. That is what you get for your hard earned money spent in Bali during 'garbage season'.

I'm not a beach type, so Bali is still worth visiting for me. I never set foot on a beach on the south coast, and only occasionally walk on a beach in the north, never immerse myself in salt water, even at home.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: YachtRock