balinews

Feb 14, 2010
As we continue to shiver through winter, you can be excused for thinking a short holiday somewhere warmer would be a good idea. Well, why not Bali? As David O'Shea reports, that tropical island that so many Australians love is now so popular that, according to many of the locals, their very way of life is under threat. Here's David.

This is the Bali that tourists flock to see. But this year, the tiny island will be besieged by more than 10 million visitors - almost three times the local population. It's a huge stress on resources - for land to build hotels and private villas, for water to service them, and for somewhere to put all the rubbish. Environmental activist Moko is taking me to a site that's not on the tourist trail.

Watch the documentary:

SBS Dateline | The Battle for Bali

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm seriously beginning to think that the Ozzies are told they're being taken to Bali but someone is fucking with them and takes them some place completely different and just tells them it's Bali.

This all shows a Bali that I have nothing to do with and I've lived here almost 7 years now so as I've said here before if they want to carpet the south with hotels, villas and restaurants then that's fine with me - it's a shit-hole already, it can't get any worse.

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I'm seriously beginning to think that the Ozzies are told they're being taken to Bali but someone is fucking with them and takes them some place completely different and just tells them it's Bali.

This all shows a Bali that I have nothing to do with and I've lived here almost 7 years now so as I've said here before if they want to carpet the south with hotels, villas and restaurants then that's fine with me - it's a shit-hole already, it can't get any worse.
Shit-holes have a tendency to spread. Like cancer.

The rape of the island of Bali is a horrible work in progress. It's happening all over the place (think Ubud, Lovina, Sanur, Candi Dasa, even Nusa Lembongan). It's only a matter of time until the rot spreads everywhere.
Ignoring the obvious is the realm of people with their blinkers on. Complacency is like sticking your head in the sand.
Good luck, Karangasem...you're going to need lots of it.

I've been living here for 20 years. I don't like the accelerated "development", especially in the last decade.
But what would I know?

:icon_rolleyes:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dude, there are between 16,000 and 18,000 island in Indonesia alone. Bali is just one of them.

If you were sentenced to life on Bali you can you always ask for parole?