Techie with basic progr skills for digital project wanted

granadadilla

Aug 9, 2018
Hi dear all,

I visited Bali and fell in love. I want to start something here and gradually move “my operations” to this amazing island.
I noticed a gap: There is a huge touristic and SPA business but most wellness providers have no/ poor digital appearance.
I want to build a platform which matches such local businesses with the relevant customer group.

I’ve been working in digital business consulting for 3.5 years and had an own online business prior to that.
I am a digital marketing practitioner and have experience in content management, performance marketing and growthhacking.

I need a partner with passion for the “tech” side (but only basic skills required - we can easily start with Wordpress and some slight customisation).
Because although I know how, I have no passion for customising web code or connecting micro services per APIs. :)

If you’re passion lies in that and in building your own startup, we are a good match! Happy to hear from you.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi dear all,

I visited Bali and fell in love. I want to start something here and gradually move “my operations” to this amazing island.
I noticed a gap: There is a huge touristic and SPA business but most wellness providers have no/ poor digital appearance.
I want to build a platform which matches such local businesses with the relevant customer group.

I’ve been working in digital business consulting for 3.5 years and had an own online business prior to that.
I am a digital marketing practitioner and have experience in content management, performance marketing and growthhacking.

I need a partner with passion for the “tech” side (but only basic skills required - we can easily start with Wordpress and some slight customisation).
Because although I know how, I have no passion for customising web code or connecting micro services per APIs. :)

If you’re passion lies in that and in building your own startup, we are a good match! Happy to hear from you.

Hi granadadilla and welcome to the forum and Bali when you arrive.
I can tell you have a passionate desire to move "my operations' to work from Bali but I would caution...you will need to go thru' hoops to first get a visa to stay in Indonesia and second...be able to open a business. It isn't impossible but very difficult and Indonesian bureaucracy is horrendous.
I suggest you find what kind of visa will permit you to stay in Bali then, after arriving, see what the scene is like before you even look for a partner...many foreigners have been scammed and their love for Bali dashed.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It sounds like a good idea and there are some great plugins with Wordpress that can help with what you are doing. Woocommerce bookings looks promising. It would basically give you a way to create a booking website, or marketplace for any type of business, like Airbnb. My suggestion though would be not to make it only for Bali. Maybe start with Bali but expand to other places. I am too busy to help directly but would be interested in sharing ideas. I am interested in starting this kind of business but I don't want it to have any connection to Bali, simply due to ups and downs of the tourism industry, which can be stressful.

granadadilla

Aug 9, 2018
True! Yes, makes sense - and diversification is better anyway. Start the MVP for focus on SPA and in Bali, gradually extend to other places eg Kerala (birthplace of Ayurveda), where SPA demand is high. India differs from Bali regarding rain season.

Regarding laws and visa: A digital platform can be located anywhere, it is pure digital business serving merely as an intermediary and simplification of transactions. But not doing transactions itself.
So it is better to locate it somewhere else (even my country) and just target the right region with marketing.
The main “point” will be to go to local service providers, convince them and help to come on board.
But also here, for MVP Id start with those who already have a basic web presence (website/Facebook/instagram) and get them on board even per remote.
One USP of such platform is for them that it’s completely free - until a transaction is initiated.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
True! Yes, makes sense - and diversification is better anyway. Start the MVP for focus on SPA and in Bali, gradually extend to other places eg Kerala (birthplace of Ayurveda), where SPA demand is high. India differs from Bali regarding rain season.

Regarding laws and visa: A digital platform can be located anywhere, it is pure digital business serving merely as an intermediary and simplification of transactions. But not doing transactions itself.
So it is better to locate it somewhere else (even my country) and just target the right region with marketing.
The main “point” will be to go to local service providers, convince them and help to come on board.
But also here, for MVP Id start with those who already have a basic web presence (website/Facebook/instagram) and get them on board even per remote.
One USP of such platform is for them that it’s completely free - until a transaction is initiated.

Many in Bali work remotely on computers and it isn't noticed. Some have done it for years but, from the experience of others you do NOT want to get caught working in Indonesia without the proper permit. It is considered a criminal offence and if anyone just doesn't like you and reports...you could end up in jail, deported and banned.
You can argue the law 'till you have no hair left but Indonesia doesn't like foreigners taking Indonesian jobs.

sayangku

May 22, 2018

The digital nomads in Bali are pretty careful to target customers based outside Indonesia. From the sound of it you want to sell services or advertising to firms based in Bali. That means you need VAT/PPN registration, because services/ commisions in Indonesia are VAT'able. Difficult to invoice them without it.

I guess there could be possibility of making money from google ads/ adwords. So you are not needing to invoice Indonesian firms directly. But that relies on them spending lots of money with Google/ Facebook etc. which is unlikely if as you say they have limited digital presence