Teaching English in Bali

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
RE: JBR (sort of)

I would like to hear more about the trip even though this is a bali forum......I am wanting to visit there soon.....and as far as my opinion on aussies-- there great-you can speak your mind and not really offend them, and like wise- suppose its the Texan in me- but I find in Bali you can offend people easily- there are alot of touchy& karma,feely etc'ss running around here, and if you take offence to this post, you are probably one of them. When I moved here, I wasn't really sure whether we would stay.... Bali for me is a nice place to visit, but its not for me..... I dont enjoy living so close to one another, and I must admit, I miss some western&modern things.... like screens on your windows to keep all the mosquitoes&fly's, etcc out...... I could make a house more friendly here, but things (propery)are a little cramped- the visa thing is more of a pain than I expected........But sorry, didnt post to complain about Bali, Just not my long term style,,,,,,,,, the locals are fantastic and have meet alot of friends.... but I am sure at the end of my lease, Bali will be an extended vacation for me that me&family will always remember... cant thank Roy&Eri enough for all the help----(he's next door by the way)-- I bet he still sneaks a peek at the forum- its in his blood-----hopefully it wont be long before the Bali Lama is back online-......Frog

Tinkerbelle

Jan 20, 2007
Perth Western Australia

Thanks for the welcome guys. Not sure where to start there is so much I want to know. My situation right now is I visit Bali twice a year for a weeks holiday being July and xmas times. I first visited Bali back in 1982 and a lot has changed but I still love the place. In the future I would like to stay in Bali more, maybe working there and eventually living there. I am not sure there would be many dental therapy/hygienists jobs there?. From what I have read on the forum it seems like hard work to achieve this dream as I am not to sure with the visa polices. I will be visiting 2 orphanages in July with the social club I am in in Perth to start help doing charity work there on my visits. It looks like teaching English might be the way to go there for a job. I do have a tent I can pitch not fussed about leading the high life ha ha. So basically what visa would I get to work there and what does this entail anyone? Any information would be appreciated thanks. Tink

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com

Tink,

Finding English teaching positions in Bali is generally not easy as there are many English teachers in other parts of Indonesia who would love to move to Bali. Generally schools want people with certification in teaching English. There are a number of websites and forums about English teaching jobs in Indonesia. Try eslcafe.com and look for the Indonesian forum. That should be a start.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia

Hi Dr Bruce,

for fear of hijacking the thread, i'd thought chase up a bit on tinkerbelles posting. You say english teaching jobs are hard to get, wouldn't have expected anything less to be honest, but what is the demand like for science teachers? I guess i'd probably be aiming at secondary level here with more emphasis on biology and chemistry. I am very curious because I am seriously considering going back to uni to complete a Dip Ed to go with my marine biology and zoology degree with the sole intention of finding work in indonesia. Your opinions would be really helpful.

Regards
Adam

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com

Hi Adam,

Science is always a good field to find teaching jobs in. International jobs pay the best, but there are a limited number of international schools in Indonesia (you can check out my http://www.cyberbali.com site for a list). The new (well relatively) national plus schools are an option. They pay more than English teacher jobs, but less than international school positions. National plus schools seem to be opening every day. I would look at that as a strong source of employment.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Apologies to all. I split this topic to start a new one, but I moved Froggy's post as well (which should have stayed in Bert's JBR thread). The board doesn't allow me to move it back.

Sorry Froggy. :oops:

Tinkerbelle

Jan 20, 2007
Perth Western Australia
Well I do have a health science degree from Curtin Uni doing dental hygienist/therapy. Are there many dental jobs there? I will check out your site Dr Bruce :). Hey Adam start up a zoo and I will clean the animals teeth he he he. I am actually checking out and cleaning a few of the local guys teeth that I know in Kuta in July maybe I should set up a kerb side sign free dental in lieu of food do they have a bata system there

Tink

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Hi Tink
there are a few 'western trained' and reputable dentists in Bali. I know people who get their dental work done while on holiday as it can 'pay' for the holiday in cost savings, especially if they don't have health insurance. Maybe you could check them out and enquire if they are interested in hiring a dental hygienist. You never know.
What I do know is that just about any time of income in Bali takes some inventiveness on your part, and you often need to think out of the box. Don't expect to see the dream job advertised.
Best of luck
FreoGirl - watching the sunset over Rotto

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Re: RE: Teaching English in Bali

FreoGirl said:
I know people who get their dental work done while on holiday as it can 'pay' for the holiday in cost savings, especially if they don't have health insurance. Maybe you could check them out and enquire if they are interested in hiring a dental hygienist. You never know.

That's check out the dentists, not the holiday makers :D :D :D :D :D

Tinkerbelle

Jan 20, 2007
Perth Western Australia
Hiya FreoGirl, thanks for the input. I am just trying to make a start to see what job opportunities are out there so all advice is welcome. I think I will end up working with a charity organisation down the track myself still looking into that as well. HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY to all the Aussies whilst I am here. I see you live in Freo are you a mad dockers supporter like myself?. Sorry if I change the subject not sure how to start a new post with its own heading, I am half Irish so I can be excused.

Tink

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Hi Tink
Living in Fremantle kind of obligates you to follow the Dockers - otherwise you'de be living in enemy territory :lol:

If you want to start a new topic, chose the forum you want to post in (there are various forums appropriate for various topics) and you will see a 'New Post' button on the top left of the page. Click on that and away you go.

Living in Bali is a dream for alot of people, including people who are married to Balinese. The hardest thing is to survive financially. The easiest way to do that is to set yourself up with an income source from outside of the country. If you are not educating children in international schools, you can live relatively cheaply in Bali (depending on your lifestyle of course). So a modest income could suffice.

Sometimes the dream of living in Bali does not equate to the realities once you are there. You should try to spend some significant chunk of time there before making any big decisions. If you are in a position to go up for 6 months it will give you a taste of what life might be like. It will also give you a chance to network with other expats and suss things out.

Freo