Taxi drivers demand closure of Bali Blue bird taxi

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Presumably it is the taxi drivers not working for Blue Bird taxi who are protesting. Bluebird taxi in Bali and in Jakarta have built a pretty good reputation in the foreign and tourist community, it is not surprising that other companies and private operators would love to seem them shutdown.

From the Jakarta Post:

Hundreds of local taxi drivers staged a demonstration Monday, demanding the closure of the Bluebird taxi company in Bali for allegedly operating on the island without a permit.

After protesting for hours in front of the Bali Legislative Council and the local transportation agency without result, the demonstrators went to the Bluebird office on Jl. Sesetan, Denpasar.

Denpasar Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Alit Widana said he had sent a squad of police officers to safeguard the Bluebird offices in Sesetan and in Jimbaran from possible violence, kompas.com reported.

He called on Bluebird to withdraw its taxis from the streets until the situation was back to normal.

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
I consider this demo as a complete waist of time. To be honest the Blue B. should get rid of the other lot, most of the times they don't want to put the meter on
They should demonstrate against PLN not Blue Bird.
Last night one more power cut but only from 7pm to 8.50pm. We didn’t know, just off and this is it.
Less cuts than b4 if you compare them to 2 months ago.

susan

Feb 18, 2010
It was recommended on a travel show here in Australia to use Blue Bird Taxi We have now been to Bali 3 times and are booked to go again in May. We always use Blue Bird and recommend our friends and family to do the same. They are always spotless, the drivers very polite and the meters are always put on as soon as we hop in, you dont need to remind them. We now have a regular Taxi driver Made (I know every 5th person is Made) but it is a treat to see a familiar face each time and because we visit lots of the same places are he knows where are favourite spots are. And he teaches us about Bali culture and language as we go, as well as update us on his family life.
I recommend Blue Bird Taxi in Bali.
s:icon_razz:

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Maybe Blue Bird is superior to most of the other taxi drivers, independents, etc.; however, if they do not have a license than their owner should do what he should have done along time ago. Whoever, owns the outfit is probably very well-off living in Java. Therefore, pay up, pay your taxes to Bali, then continue to serve the tourists.

MadCat

Feb 28, 2010
The times I do take a taxi on Bali (I usually just rent a car, easier for me to get around, I'm based in Jakarta and basically got the hang of driving there, so driving in Bali's easy... even the locals are scared of me :p) I avoid Blue Bird for a simple reason; they are freaking expensive. If you can express yourself in Bahasa, then taking a non-Blue Bird will work too, you just have to negotiate with the driver about price. More often than not you can get your ride for less than you'd spend on a Blue Bird, and you will get to where you are going fast.

Seemingly Blue Bird drivers in Bali all have issues finding the "make this thing go" pedal, whereas the "other" guys generally know where to find it, but have issues remembering they're not on a formula 1 circuit. (I prefer the latter)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Blue Bird Taxis are also insured and the drivers have to pay their own traffic fines plus the cars are maintained. My life is worth more than a few minutes. Mad Cat? the first part of the names suits you well. The second part you will need 9 lives if you want to be driven like that.

Last edited:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Blue Bird Taxis are also insured and the drivers have to pay their own traffic fines plus the cars are maintained. My life is worth more than a few minutes. Mad Cat? the first part of the names suits you well. The second part you will need 9 lives if you want to be driven like that.

Hopefully MadCat will stay around on the forum for all of those 9 lives. He's very funny!

MadCat

Feb 28, 2010
Like I said Jimbo, I'm used to Jakarta. Even the most shoddy Balinese taxi is a marvel of modern engineering compared to some of the things you see in the big durian. I do admit I like it when the taxi driver knows how to make the taxi go, but I'll tell him to slow down if I get the idea he knows how to find the pedal but doesn't know what else to do. (Given that I used to race cars as a hobby, if the guy knows what he's doing, it doesn't bother me going fast).

In the last 3 years in Indonesia, I've never been in an accident (in a taxi), and never been in an accident in my own car either, and I drive my own car myself -- the only thing that does is convince the cops to pull you over frequently for whatever reason they can think of :D

MadCat

Feb 28, 2010
Absolutely in a good way. No need for extra contemplation.

Ah, good. I did however proceed to contemplate the benefits of lots of coffee early in the morning, and threw "world peace" in there just for good karma.