Taking a Ferry/Using Pelni

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm trying to organize our next island hopping trip to Flores but as I've seen the intervening islands (Lombok, Sumbawa) already I'm trying to limit my exposure to them to just our return trip so want to ship my motorbike on the same ship I'm traveling with.

My question is does anyone have a good and reliable contact with the Pelni Ferry company that I might ask a few pertinent questions of?
  1. I know the ferry isn't a drive on drive off but I want to take my motorbike with me to Flores/Labuan Bajo.
  2. How much would that cost?
  3. do I have to put it in a crate first?

Talking to Pelni is hopeless - nobody knows anything but want to tell you it all.
Thanks for your help in advance.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I've traveled on many Pelni ships over the years. Every one I've been on had cars/trucks/motorbikes on them.
I haven't heard of a Pelni ferry, as such.
Pelni "timetables" can be, umm, confusing. Their ships sail all over the archipelago and stop at various ports along the way.

Now, do you want to grab a Pelni in Bali and sail to Flores? What about the return trip? The next Pelni ship going West might not be there for
another two weeks (and it might not stop in Bali).

Of the dozen or so Pelni's I've been on, only one stopped in Bali (Benoa Harbour)!
Suggestions? You could try going to the Pelni website and see if you can make any sense of it (good luck).
Or, go to the nearest Pelni "booking office". It should have an "accurate timetable and route information.
I don't know where the nearest one to you is; probably in/around Benoa.

A bit of trivia: all Pelni ships are named after Indonesian mountains.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
There used to be a pelni office on the left hand side as you enter the new road from the bypass to benoa , a check online will give current locations

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
There used to be a pelni office on the left hand side as you enter the new road from the bypass to benoa , a check online will give current locations
Yes, I know that one. A pokey little joint (like most of them). I think it's still there.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks guys.
There are 3 flavors of Pelni "ferry" only one of which transports vehicles ... apparently. I'm banging that I can transport a motorbike on one that officially doesn't. I've been quoted 2 million for just transporting one bike as it needs to be crated up and specially moved, cared for - all added to the price.

I only want to ride the return trip on motorbike as there and back would be a bit boring as 2 of the 3 islands we have already traveled one, at least.

I did try and wade through what Pelni laughingly call their website. Reminded me of the late 80s. Haven't the rest of us come a long way.

On Friday I will be visiting what they call their Logistics Center near the airport but suspect I'll get the best info by just turning up at the dockside and talking to the ship's people...

Aint it grand?!