Sydney man killed in motorbike accident

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A Sydney man has been killed in Bali after his scooter collided with a truck that reportedly ran a red light.

Confronting CCTV footage shared to Instagram showed the moment the rider swerved in an attempt to avoid the truck, but slid underneath and was crushed.

The Australian man, identified by the Daily Telegraph as Peter Robinson, 59, was killed while riding through the busy Bali intersection, which runs from Kuta to Sanur, on Friday afternoon.

He reportedly suffered severe head injuries and died at the scene.

The truck driver, an East Java man, has been arrested for driving through a red light, according to Indonesian media reports.

“The truck driver violated the traffic law. The truck kept going when it [the traffic light] was already red,” Bali Traffic police chief Adi Sulistyo Utomo told reporters.

“We have detained the truck driver.”

Source: yahoo.com

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
This is a prime example of why most Bule/Indo accidents happen: your westerner depends upon "his" right-of-way as you would and ignores the true situation to his detriment.

There have been studies that show there are fewer accidents where no one actually knows what the legal situation is and are therefore on their guard.

After 10 years of driving cars/scooters here I enter every road situation with no preconceptions of right or wrong and I'm never surprised.

wepro

Nov 8, 2005
Canggu
This is a prime example of why most Bule/Indo accidents happen: your westerner depends upon "his" right-of-way as you would and ignores the true situation to his detriment.

Yeah, everbody has to make this experience here: If you insist on your right-of-way it could be very very painful.
So I took this term out of my vocabulary and brain memory. At least here in Bali

Reactions: sakumabali