Swimming lessons for babies and children in Canggu area...Australian qualified teacher looking to set up a school

Marine Bohème

Sep 8, 2018
Hello,

I am an Australian qualified swimming teacher (infants to adults) looking to set up a school in bali (Canggu area).

Do you need swimming lessons for your children? Do you currently know of any schools operating in this area...particularly for babies?

Would you be interested in lessons? How much would you want to pay? Would you prefer to do lessons in your home (if you have a pool of course) or prefer to do lessons at my private home pool or in a public pool?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or interest

Reactions: kingswim

Laralea

May 16, 2018
Hi Marine-
Sounds great what you are doing and I am sure there would be a lot of interest. Assuming you are already aware, but I will point it out just in case, as that the government is SUPER strict on having a KITAS/IMTA to work, and it is not easy to get!

Marine Bohème

Sep 8, 2018
Hi Marine-
Sounds great what you are doing and I am sure there would be a lot of interest. Assuming you are already aware, but I will point it out just in case, as that the government is SUPER strict on having a KITAS/IMTA to work, and it is not easy to get!
Thanks Laralea, yes I am aware of the process and am looking in to options. Before I embark on that lengthy and expensive process I am just wanting to establish the level of demand and what might already exist.
Please let me know if you have any info on this.
Cheers

Laralea

May 16, 2018
Cool!
Yes, we looked into it, and it is so not feasible for most businesses. The processing cost/prof. fees, etc. can run $3-5k (USD), which isn't even so much the issue, however, currently the minimum requirement stands at IDR 10 billion for the investment that you must make into the business to even qualify. (Obviously, does not justify swimming lessons from a business case!)

Also, what you can charge here would likely only be around 100-150k IDR per hour - that is what is charged for most kids classes and for professional swimming instructors at Finn's Rec currently (90k for members) per session. One of the reasons we all live here is for the cheap living, but it does tend to make trying to work here and derive an income virtually impossible.

Feel free to private message if you have anything that I can help with, happy to be a resource!
-Lara

Marine Bohème

Sep 8, 2018
Cool!
Yes, we looked into it, and it is so not feasible for most businesses. The processing cost/prof. fees, etc. can run $3-5k (USD), which isn't even so much the issue, however, currently the minimum requirement stands at IDR 10 billion for the investment that you must make into the business to even qualify. (Obviously, does not justify swimming lessons from a business case!)

Also, what you can charge here would likely only be around 100-150k IDR per hour - that is what is charged for most kids classes and for professional swimming instructors at Finn's Rec currently (90k for members) per session. One of the reasons we all live here is for the cheap living, but it does tend to make trying to work here and derive an income virtually impossible.

Feel free to private message if you have anything that I can help with, happy to be a resource!
-Lara
Thanks so much x

sayangku

May 22, 2018
Sounds like something best done on the downlow - ie just offer casually to the other parents at school rather than market it. God knows what your liability will be if something goes wrong though...

Marine Bohème

Sep 8, 2018
Hey all, thanks for the comments and feedback. Maybe I was not clear though...I am not looking for info and advise on how to conduct business here in Bali. I do appreciate the concern. I will be sorting full legal working status before conducting lessons.
I am interested in finding out if there is anyone interested in lessons for babies and if there is anything currently on offer in the Canggu area...
Thanks in advance :)

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
We live in the north and there is a swimming club for kids. We organized private lessons with some of the teachers from the club. They are university students and have been great. Well mostly great, as sometimes they are not so reliable with exams/competitions/ceremonies. It wouldn't be a problem of course but they don't let you know if advance if they won't be coming which is a bit annoying but like most aspects of life here.

I am not sure why but it seems like a popular thing for expats wanting to start this kind of business here. My impression is that it would be a difficult business to start, but possible I guess to make a small, but livable income.