samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Where is best in all reality...for kids to learn to surf for the long haul.

We started in Seminyak last year and was ok to get them started.

We then migrated to Canggu/Echo beach and found a great teacher, great with the kids and taught them at Canggu beach (betabalong) I think it is called also.....anyway, he took them out into the real stuff and taught them well, after a week they were launching themselves from the beach in what I consider quite large waves and paddling out, catching the odd one themselves, many more with help.

My daughter was getting the odd wave bigger than her and she is only 8yo.

So, ideally we wish to live near this area, bit further out even, not in close to the Canggu Club area, more out Echo beach and further as we stayed there for a few weeks.

Question is, are there better spots to go checkout that have it all, quiet, great kids surf, great teachers for said kids and a good spot to live...if so...where ?

This is a serious surf mission...1-2 years...and kite surfing for me.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Must be some surf people out there !!!!!!

We've been sightseeing with my pal and seen many, many surfers on the beaches from Uluwatu to Echo Beach.

They looked like they are enjoying their sport so much they don't have time for forums...:icon_mrgreen:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
We've been sightseeing with my pal and seen many, many surfers on the beaches from Uluwatu to Echo Beach.

They looked like they are enjoying their sport so much they don't have time for forums...:icon_mrgreen:

True...but we seek safe spots for kids that are still learning, not all are...as an example Echo beach is not so, Canggu is great, but it is not as safe as say Seminyak and such, but seminyak and the like have limits, whereas Canggu, the kids...as long as the teacher is good...can learn a lot and excel out there, but some potential to get hurt as it is a reef break...seminyak etc are all sand bottoms I believe.

Just thought there might be some parents out there that know these things....for example wondering if Sanur and Jimbaran have similar spots to Canggu

Love Canggu as it is out of the busy areas but still close enough if you want to get into the other spots for shopping and stuff....and its quiet out there as long as away from the Club areas.

Tudeo

Jan 30, 2014
Denpasar
Have u tried Batu Bolong in front hotel Tugu? Brawa/Changgu. Lots of kids there, left of the big lavarock at the right (low) tide. But bit crowded.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Have u tried Batu Bolong in front hotel Tugu? Brawa/Changgu. Lots of kids there, left of the big lavarock at the right (low) tide. But bit crowded.

Batu Bolong is same Canggu beach right...just another name I presume.....has the 2 little cafes at the back of the car park.

If so, yes that is where we spent the last few weeks surfing and love it there as the teacher is based around that area.

This rock ?

cIMG_0827.JPG

But just wondering about other areas to checkout as when we move there, we wish to stay in the local area of where the kids will be surfing the most....if that is Canggu, great as really like it, but if somewhere better....then would like to go looksie.

Last edited:

Tudeo

Jan 30, 2014
Denpasar
Yeah I guess that's batu bolong.

U can try Jimbaran at high tide, so some waves pass the outer reef, can be nice beach break then. But needs decent swell.