Surat Keterangan???

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
GDay folks,

My wife has been asked to supply a 'Surat Keterangan' to a local govt. office from me regarding her possible migration to Australia. Unfortunately the details she gave to me about how I create a surat keterangan were sketchy at best - I don't think she really has clue either. I suspect that in this situation they are chasing basically what would be similar to a sponsorship letter with my details and addresses etc.....does anyone know if I am barking up the right tree here? Is there an 'official' form or style to a surat keterangan or has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I am in the process of bringing my finance out to Australia on a proposed spouse visa and I have not heard that he has to supply anything or get permission from the Indonesian government.

Correct me if I am wrong please!!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
It is a letter of explanation and agreement stating the facts and is common even to the extent I needed one to get the wattage of electricity increased.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
As far as I can tell (just spoke with the missus then and she explained a little bit more to me about it (still the blind leading the blind) is that its for the 'Kantor Tamat' and they are requesting it simply to keep track of the overseas movements of their people. In Ani's district a lot of people are heading to Brunei, Saudi and Malaysia etc for work and they are getting ants in their pants in the 'Kantor' cos sadly many are returning home dead.

And Ani hasn't even been granted her visa yet. The funny story behind this is she needs my Surat Keterangan to get a paper from the 'Kantor Tamat' to go with 2 other papers from 2 different offices as well as a new kartu keluarga to go to the Kantor Imigrasi in Jember to fix up a cock-up by the Kantor Imigrasi in Jember regarding an issue with her passport that the Aussie Immigration office picked up. I thought aussie bureaucracy was bad - Indo bureaucracy is out of this world!! :lol:

dave gede

Feb 10, 2007
adelaide
Hi Adam sorry to hear about further difficulties in the what seems like never ending task of being together .The Indonesian side of things did not seem to bad for Komang and myself we already went through the getting an Indonesian passport long ago as for the outstanding matters for the Australian immigration side of things went they wanted 1) Kartu Keluarga 2)Kutipan akta Kelahiran 3)Surat Keterangan Catatan Kepolisian 4)Surat Keterangan 5) copy of passport that was all from komangs side and i answered all the other check boxes with 2 pieces of paper work for each including stat decs.So to me the paper work you are after is either Ani,s school certificate,s or the police clearance good luck with it Adam I am heading to Denpasar next Saturday Komang has been granted her provisional-permanent VISA class 100 and am picking her up and sorting out my house stuff in Denpasar will be in Bali til June1 will see if i have time to meet any of the other forum members but i do have at least 1- 3day ceremony in Negara. To all the other members on the forum who have found their life partners (husbands/wives) in Bali or Indonesia and are going through immigration issues i wish you all success with your future plans. Adam and Ani see you again one day Muka di Muka.From Australia also Happy Mothers Day.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Dave,

Congratulations to yourself and Komang on getting your visa, I'm sure its a big weight lifted off your shoulders now. I'm starting to get physically ill from the stress of waiting for Ani's visa result, I'm a worrier by nature and this decision which will ultimately affect my life more than any other is really spinning me out. It's been 3 and a half months so far so we've just got to be patient. It's tough on Ani too, she ends up in tears most of the time when we are on the phone but alas, what can we do. :(

The surat keterangan was for Ani's local kantor pemerintah, they just wanted a statement from me of who her sponsor was and contact details etc., very simple in the end and common practice in her region where heaps of people are going to Saudi/Brunei/Taiwan/Malaysia for work (rather slave labour???? :? ). So far as dealing with Aussie immigration, it's been complicated by Ani previously holding with a cocked up birthdate in it, her changing her name and being deported from Hungary (long story, the victim of human traffickers many years ago). Surat Pernyataan after surat pernyataan after surat pernyataan ay yay yay.......

What does Komang think of Australia?? Although very, very nervous to begin with, Ani can't wait to get the hell out of Indo now. I hope she doesn't like it too much here...I can't wait to get the hell out of Oz and become a hermit in the backlots of Genteng :D

Regards to you and Komang from Ani and myself, hopefully we'll catch up again sometime soon in Bali,

Adam

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Adam

We were told there is a 3 - 5 month waiting for processing of visa. What stage is yours at. After you provide all the paperwork necessary the application then goes to a senior embassy officer who will actually approve or not approve the visa application. What I am trying to find out is what is the usual time from when it goes to the senior embassy officer and it gets approved (hopefully)

Regards

Tina

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Hi Tina

Fairly straightforward applications seem to be taking around 3-4 months - if your application is lodged and is complete (with medicals completed etc), then roughly one month later they give a date for interview which seems to be for the following month, if all goes well at interview then advised of visa approximately one month later. Fingers crossed for both you and Adam.

Adam - interesting to hear you speak of Genteng, I have never run into another foreigner there let alone another West Aussie, maybe we will bump into each other one day in the Genteng version of 'Bunnings'.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Hi Toucan

Thanks for the information. We am waiting for my divorce to come through and that is the last document required before it goes to the senior embassy official. We had the interview date two weeks after the application was filed. So from what you say we can expect approx 1 month after all paperwork is sent to the embassy to hear.

I take it you have been through this. Can you give me any insight, for instance if all the documentation goes to the senior embassy official does that mean it has a good chance. I asked the immigration officer if she needed me to send any more proof of relationship i.e. photos, phone bills etc. She said they had enough to prove the relationship so I was hopeful that now it is a formality going to the senior embassy officer to approve.

I am hoping anyway.

Regards

Tina

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Hi Tina

I am not sure at what stage things go to a senior officer, but I would presume all applications get the final approve/decline by a senior officer. If you have everything else in place and it is just the divorce papers you are waiting on, then it should be easy for them to make a decision from there. It sounds as if they have had a good look at your application to say you have provided enough evidence and hopefully that means they have checked what you have provided so far and not just put it in a pile waiting for the final documents before they begin to assess it. I know of a couple of people who have been through the process fairly recently, had all their paperwork in order, and they got approval within the 3-4 month timeframe. The more methodical and thorough the application, the easier it is for them to assess it and therefore I would think less likely to end up in the too hard basket.

With all the reams of paperwork involved, they really only need to establish 2 things, first that the relationship is genuine and secondly that the applicant will not become a burden to the Australian taxpayer. The second part would relate to good health, being able to find employment, the sponsor being in a position to support that person, and that the applicant is of good character, e.g. no criminal record etc.

Feel free to drop me a pm if you like, happy to help if I can.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Toucan (he or she????),

Thanks for that info, I'm assuming you have been through the process yourself? Things seemed to be happening quite quickly to begin with, Ani had a phone interview only a week or so after we submitted the application and then they requested some different surat pernyataans to back up statements she made during her interview. Our case officer has informed us her assesment has been forwarded to her supervisor for approval (approval yay or approval nay not indicated dammit :x ). I always presumed that they would want to interview her in person and interview me to, as her sponsor, but that hasn't happened. I wan't to ask our case officer how things are progressing but at the same time I don't want to tread on their toes and maybe have our application stuck at the back of the pile.

As for Genteng, is your partner from that area? Our village is about 15 minutes to the north near the railway line, its called Temu Asri. Your damn right about being 'bule free' there, I think thats wonderful and it really, really is a beautiful part of Indo. As much as I love Bali its a good feeling to step onto a Ketapang ferry, despite them being buckets of crap :) . I was the first westerner most of the people in our area had seen in the flesh and even still get many people going past to check out the funny white guy :D . And speaking of Gentengs' bunnings, FYI theres a good hardware shop opposite the Indomaret (or the other franchise, whatever its called)on the main street in town. I visit it regularly cos somehow I've been nominated the village Mr Fixit....... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Regards,
Adam

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Hi Adam

My finance got an interview only a couple of weeks after submitting the application but he did have to go to Jakarta for the interview, no option.

My case manager also said once all the documentation is submitted it will go to a senior offical in the embassy so fingers crossed for all,.

Tina

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Hi Adam

I am a she, and yes my husband is from that area. You are around a half hour or so from his village which is in Kaligondo, a little further to the west from you. You are right it is a very beautiful area. We are in the process of building a house in the village, it backs onto a small stream and overlooks the ricefields with Mt Raung in the background. Such a peaceful scene in the early mornings when the air is so clear. There was a ceremony at noon on Thursday as the main roof beam went into place, being a Hindu family timing is of great importance and different ceremonies to ensure well-being etc.

Thanks for the tip on the hardware store, I thought I had been to every one on the main street, the one near the BCA bank looks like a little ramshackle store out front, but out the back is a huge warehouse full of mountains of tiles, cement, water tanks etc. Also many trips to the roof tile maker, the brickmaker, the electrical store, the bathroom supplier, floor tiles, stone, wood etc. Fortunately we have the same taste and prefer traditional style so no arguments in selection.

My husband also has fond memories of the Immigration Office in Jember, he had travelled there from Bali and waited hours to see someone, then they wanted another document which was back in Bali, so back and forth and once again wait hours to see someone, then told come back in 3 days etc. He was not happy, but is a patient man and eventually got what he needed.

We were fairly lucky in that our application was straightforward, had all our documents in place and our evidence went back a few years, so once the application was lodged things progressed quickly and smoothly and it was all approved in just under 3 months. If you have your case number you could contact the Embassy in Jakarta, I wouldn't bug the hell out of them, but an enquiry as to progress and to see if there was anything else they needed would not be out of order. I also found DIMIA in Perth very helpful with any queries I had.

Hopefully both you and Tina will receive some good news shortly. If I can be of any help feel free to drop me a PM.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Toucan, thanks for the info. Our applications been with the senior official since at least the 8th of April (and we submitted it on the 11th of February). The reply to last email I sent to our case officer (8/4) was that all required documentation had been received and they are obviously doing background checks (hence the discovery of the cock-up with her passport) of her story/details etc.

Wow, Tina, you sound like you've been thru a completely different experience to the same experience if you know what I mean. That sucks that he had to go to Jakarta, why on earth would that be for??? Without asking questions out of line, could it be perhaps that your evidence of relationship wasn't particularly strong? I had been hording paperwork for a couple of years showing our relationship so that was handy.

He's a photo of our house in Temu Asri, Toucan. Humble but very cosy, I hope to retire young to this place in a few years time.

Attachments

• Bali Jan 08 011.jpg
    Bali Jan 08 011.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Bali Jan 08 012.jpg
    Bali Jan 08 012.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 89

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Hi Adam

Most people that I have spoken to have had personal interviews with their case manager. Once the embassy staff would come to Bali but that has ceased.

I think you are partially right in saying that you probably have a longer history of the relationship than I do. My finance was in Australia from Nov 07 to Feb 08 and on the visa application we did put that he was coming to Australia to meet my family and see if he like Australia enough to live here.

But after hearing everybodies experiences they are certainly different. For instance, my brother in law ( x husbands brother) choose 3 women from Jakarta on a internet dating service as a prospective bride. Went over and meet them all and choose one and after spending some time with her (not too long as far as I know) he married her and then applied for a spouse visa. They never had any history except wedding photos. Her visa was approved after 5 months. I find it amusing as it says you must know each other for 1 year or some such from memory. He is personally a very 'in your face person' and would agrue that 'red was green' for hours so I feel sorry for the case manager. Our application is being held up waiting for my divorce to be granted.

One thing I could not understand was that my finance has a son and even though the son is not coming as he is with his mother, he still had to have a medical.

Tina

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Markit said:
I think you mean "my fiancee".

"My finance" is something a little different - or come to think of it, maybe not :lol:

Maybe not Markit, but I will keep that to myself. :shock: :?:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Tina et al,

Ani was granted her visa last wednesday, got the phone call while I was 30 miles out to sea on a cray boat last wednesday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Already booked to fly over to Bali on the 28th of June and bring my bride home on the 23rd of July. Needless to say, we are both very excited and relieved. Hopefully you have some luck shortly too.

A BIG thankyou to forum members that have assisted and helped with information to bring this to fruition and hopefully I can help with others in this situation down the track.

Woo hooo! Life is sweet! 8) 8) 8)

Cheers,
Adam

dave gede

Feb 10, 2007
adelaide
Hi to both you and Ani Annnnnd about time 2 i am very happy for you and know what a relief it is no better news could be than putting that stuff to bed as for me and Komang its a new Medicare application form ,tax file number application ,centrelink enrolment ,aussie bank account ,english language enrolment 510 free hours ,exct. lots better than the previous problems once again congratulation and yes will be nice to catch up again sometime till then go the crows ha ha .