Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks Markit, but their website doesn't mention these deals. Where did you find out about them and how do you go about getting them? Just buy an indosat card at your local warung?

My initial burst of hopeful enthusiasm is now tempered by the damned thing going offline promptly at 9pm so I'm trying to figure out what the restrictions are other than a Fair Usage Restriction - have yet to find it on their website and it was only available from the Cell sellers as "promo" so if you find out more please let me know - while it was working it went a treat!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I had problems with DNS web adreses latley . .could not open several sites (previously worked ok) ...
Sometimes goes ok sometimes not ... I think its poorly configured server infrastructure in this part of the world ....
I am not expert .. but I have feeling that signals are bouncing out there ... for example if you are acessing something in California.. it goes cross world and back not the shortest route ! On the way it gets lost among all that ...

For example on speedy I cant acess ww.oanda.com at all !
Censorship is poorly configured among others ... oanda is just currency web site ...
Who knows how google servers are configured and by who in Indonesia !

I don't agree that it is a routing problem where your request wanders around the world and gets lost. When Speedy sends you to Internet Positif that is deliberate filtering presumably consistent with some government wish. I find it strange that oanda.com has gotten on their blacklist.

But you can get around it if you are using Chrome as your broswer and download ZenMate from the Chrome Web store. You get an icon top right where you can turn protection on or off. When "on" your activity is encrypted and tunnelled - oanda.com works. But download speeds as measured by speedtest.net are slower - maybe partly because speedtest is now confused about your geographical location. But you can switch it off for normal use and only turn it on when you want risque sites, pirate sites, or oanda.com.

Last edited:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Yea I know internet positif is gov. bann ! But its not just that ....Sometimes I manage to acess some sites if I go over VPN only ... Sometimes that even dont help (but friend can access it from Europe in same time)

Anyway thx for this crome ZenMate .. i was not aware of it .. and actually it does not reduces the speed at all (for me) while browsing ... I was using TOR which was really slow ... and unecessary (overprotective) for this ...
this goole thing comes quite handy for this idiotic gov. bans ... for now!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
When typing my repsonse #22 above I came across a funny aspect of balipod's software. I was trying to enter "when you want p-o-r-n sites, pirate sites, or oanda.com" (without the hypens) and it would get changed to "when you want **** sites, pirate sites, or oanda.com". If you tried p-o-r-n-o it got changed to ****o. An example of yet another simple-minded software filter that you can get around if you can be bothered.

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Its not just po*n sites or piracy related ...
Many times links for some forums are banned (and forums are not connected in any way with piracy or po*n) I think its poorly misconfigured scripts ...
Last time I was checking some forums for Playstation 3 and 4 information (modifications and that) and few forums were banned ... I needed to use VPN to acess information needed... anoying at the time when I wanted to browse some info on hardware ...

P

paulseawind

But you can get around it if you are using Chrome as your broswer and download ZenMate from the Chrome Web store.

ronb - thanks I finally got my ZenMate 'working'

Somehow my 'Privacy Settings' had been changed
I tried to set what I thought was correct but still I was getting 'rejected based on content' on news websites such as Australian Breaking News Headlines & World News Online | SMH.com.au because Google Chrome did not 'like' some of the content

I put it aside for a while

This morning I decided to Reset Settings back to 'factory' and it worked

Chrome Menu icon
then Settings
then scroll to the bottom and select Show advanced settings
then scroll to the bottom again and select Reset settings

All good
(except it does a few other things but it tells you about them)