jay cee

Jun 4, 2012
Hello,

I am an Australian who has recently been to Bali with my partner for the first time. As with most Aussies, it certainly won't be the last time !

During our two week stay we befriended a local family in North Bali, and upon our return have decided that we (myself, partner, and a couple of friends) would like to contribute to their 16 year old daughter's (Susi) education in going to Teaching college. This is another first for us, and we are presently talking through the way in which to go about doing so.

Hopefully this won't sound mean, but I would like to ensure that any funds we contribute will be used directly for Susi's education, rather than simply to help the family's immediate quality of life. Much in the same manner of the quotation "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime", I would like to think that if Susi becomes educated it will secure a career beyond that of street hawker (presently her only future option) that will benefit the immediate & extended family for the rest of their lives.

That said, the questions arise as to how we go about sending funds. We are not wealthy people, and would be sending money monthly of perhaps 600,000rp, after an initial one-off contribution of 5,000,000rp. I recall speaking to friends we made in South India a couple of years ago that told me of their inability to create a PayPal account (reasons which I do not recall). Can struggling Balinese people set up a PayPal account ? I doubt they have credit cards to their name. Sending cash out of Australia is illegal, and admittedly risky. International cheques are also expensive, as is a registered post service. All being money that could be better used for the education instead of paying fees to a big corporation.

Without having the family jump through too many hoops, I would also like to ask for some college admission documents showing that Susi has been accepted for study, and also some ongoing reports on her progress. I'm wondering if, with their permission, I should liaise with the college directly. We're also considering whether to approach the college to arrange a direct transfer once a month, but an immediate concern is that the staff treat the matter professionally. What's the level of corruption within the education system? Can a school be relied upon to receive monies intended for a student?

As a process of 'best practice', or perhaps just plain old courtesy, we should communicate our proposal to the mother, however her English language skills are not so good (Although a sight better than my Indo/Balinese speaking skills !). Not knowing anyone in Australia with such language skills, perhaps I might seek some assistance from the bi-lingual members of this community. It's a big ask, especially from a brand new member, but if people wish to assist by being a non-monetary contributor, that would be excellent. Failing that, we are considering using an online translation tool such as Babelfish, but I personally feel that there may be errors in the results, but will never know.

That's it for now, and thanks for reading. I hope that some members might provide feedback, criticisms, suggestions or even just discussion on the subject.

Regards,

JC

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hi JC,
I live in North Bali [most of the time] and am paying for the education for 2 members of my extended family [school and college] and the sums you mention seem high to me. Also teacher training course, in my opinion seems to be over subscribed compared to any other courses. I hear of many who do this and wonder where will the jobs be afterwards. Maybe another course might be advisable.
It is difficult [if not impossible] to set up a paypal; acc in Bali. My wife tried, so I could send money to her when out of the country. But could not.
What college are you hoping to use? What area in the North is your family? I could ask my wife to find out about fees and costs if you like. If there is any other way I can help let me know. I will do my best, but unfortunately I am in ther UK at the moment untill probably October, tidying up loose ends so I can move to Bali permanently.

jay cee

Jun 4, 2012
Hello Mat, and thanks for the response. Susi is in Lovina, so I assume the college is in the Singaraja area. She has already started last year but mum can no longer afford the tuition. Details are scant for the moment, because we have not communicated our intentions to the family (still trying to find someone who can help with the language to write a letter to the parents).

The amount mentioned to my partner was around 14 million rp, which came up in conversation, not with any intention to actually ask us for the money. By all means if you would be so kind as to ask your wife if this sounds right for tertiary education. To us it seems low, compared to our country's exorbitant university fees. And over a few beers with a local man in the South (unrelated to Susi's family), he told me that his young daughter's primary education was about 2,500,000 rp p/a, so for advanced courses I assumed the 14million rp was about right.

Owing to the fact that she has already started this degree (or whatever the qualification) I'm sure she wont change her mind about another vocation. Furthermore, its not our place to try and demand she do something else. However I am interested, what would you say are the growth vocations with future opportunities? Doctor's seem to earn a fortune - I had to have an emergency ear canal irrigation in Ubud and they charged me 600,000 rp.

I wonder what Paypal's reasons are for restricting accounts? I might ask them. Another alternative may actually to set up a bank account in Australia and post the ATM card to them v ia registered mail. Good idea, bad idea ? It obviously wouldn't have credit facilities.

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
just a quick few questions JC..
She (Susi) started last year with college to become a teacher, right? What kind of teacher (SD or SMP or SMA) and wich subject/class does she want to teach?
what is the name of the school/college she is attentending at the moment?

I sponsor several kids in different ages/schools and my wife is currently looking into several options regarding colleges,
so as to what college and costs I am sure she would know.

As for making sure the money goes where it supposed to go, Susi herself could open up an bankaccount here in Singaraja and you could transfer money into that account.
When are you coming back to Bali? It might be better to ask for permission face-2-face with the parents...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
She is 16 and already going to college/university? How well do you know this girl or her family? What makes you think she hasn't already asked other foreigners before to sponsor her school. Just a suggestion you might want to contact the Helen Flavel foundation. They are based in north Bali and they might be able to provide some answers to your questions: Greetings

I know the lady (Della) who started Bali Hearts: Bali Hearts Association Inc.. She is from Perth and supports kids to go to school in north Bali. I know she has been doing it a long time and she comes to Bali every year to pay for the uniforms, school fees etc directly herself. She would be a good person to contact and I am sure she can provide an accurate figure as to how much this would cost.

I am sorry, but sending an ATM card sounds like a recipe for disaster. I know some people prefer to help people directly rather than going through a charity, but if you are not here in person to provide support (not just monetary) to the girl, perhaps you are better going through someone who can help with the finances and provide the necessary ongoing help and support.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I agree, that sending an Aussie card is a poor idea. Aussie banks charge high fees for just using the card. You can ask them to get an ATM card for and Indonesidan bank if they don't already have one - bank fees are very low here. Transferring small amounts from AUstralia into the Indo account will have high fees. Better you get and Indo account (using a trustworthy friend in Bali if necessary) with Internet banking facilities. Then from Australia you can cheaply transfer small amounts to their account following the agreed timetable.

The amount you mention sounds OK to me. I know of one group helping students to get to univeristy, and they figure they should pay the student roughly what that person could go out and earn if not studying. 600,000 per month is like their earning capacity. If they then help the family with this money, this is what they would have done if working.

So I think it is fair to hit on some monthly figure, then stick to it, and all you are really expecting is that they complete the university studies.

Last edited:

jay cee

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks everybody.

spicyayam: To reiterate, they did not ask for assistance, this only came up in general conversation, whih was actually initiated by my partner. I'm going to be very cautious about this arrangement, which is why I'll need to see some documents from the college. I will get in touch with Della though, an established organisation in this field (wih the advantage of being in Singaraja) might just help facilitate the arrangement.

ronb: If I recall, the rate for an ATM transaction through a CBA machine three weeks ago was 20,000rp. This is significantly cheaper than an international transfer at $30AUD, or a cheque via registered post for $13AUD shipping. This is a ridiculous penalty on a 600,000 rp monthly transfer. However I'm liking spicyayam's referral to Della / BaliHearts, if she's an Australian, and is acting as the conduit between benefactors & students, then maybe she will take a domestic transfer(no cost for me or the recipient)

gilbert: We have not been regulars to the island, until of course now - we are already discussing a second visit to get our PADI licence but not until May 2013. As new travelers to the Island, we also don't have any expat friends. The particulars of the course etc are not yet known, quite simply because the conversation of sponsorship had not been broached - Susi & mum have no idea that we are entertaining such a contribution.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali

ronb: If I recall, the rate for an ATM transaction through a CBA machine three weeks ago was 20,000rp. This is significantly cheaper than an international transfer at $30AUD, or a cheque via registered post for $13AUD shipping. This is a ridiculous penalty on a 600,000 rp monthly transfer. However I'm liking spicyayam's referral to Della / BaliHearts, if she's an Australian, and is acting as the conduit between benefactors & students, then maybe she will take a domestic transfer(no cost for me or the recipient)

So to compare rates - if the student gets and ATM card with whichever bank she chooses (BNI, Mandiri, BCA, whatever) there is no fee when she withdraws cash. This is useful because while you may make 600,000 monthly payments, she will want to withdraw smaller amounts like 50,000 or 100,000 as needed. For you to do the monthly transfer from an Indo bank to her account will probably be 5,000 - no big deal. For you to transfer from an Aussie bank like Commonwealth to the Indo bank costs AU$22 - so you are likely to transfer the 7,200,000 for a whole year in one go - so its bearable.

There is a bit of an advantage if your Indo account is with the same bank as her ATM card because your monthly transfers will be immediate. If you transfer from one Indo bank to another, the money maybe turns up on the next business day, or maybe the day after that. If your plan is to transfer on the 1st of each month - then using accounts with the same bank will make it easy.

I do Internet banking with BCA, Mandiri, and Commonwealth Indonesia - and they all work fine. She won't want Commonwealth because the ATMs are uncommon - although you can use a Comonwealth card in most local ATMs without fee - but still ATM cards with Mandiri, BCA etc offer more options.

While Della is sure to be able to give plenty of helpful advice, I would not ask her to do the banking for you - it is easy enough for you to setup the accounts you need and be in total control of getting the money transferred according to the agreed schedule.

Last edited:

natta

May 19, 2011
Jimbaran
To send money perhaps looks at Bamboo money change or Kangaroo Service. These are just 2 services that provide same day transactions for a fraction of the cost of an international telegraphic transfer.