Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah if you get an old low wattage florescent light bulb and leave it burning in the wardrobe. Otherwise you have penicillin.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Back in the good old days in the tropics...pre-aircondition....low watt bulbs were sometimes placed in wardrobes to reduce 'penicillin' (good one-markit). Later, a slim small-wattage heater called 'golden rods' were commonly installed. The idea is to create an airflow by the principle of convection heat and reduce humidity. Cannot say either was very successful as I often had to throw out fungus laden clothes.

The product my wife recommends is called 'Serap-air'. It is sold in most supermakets and is a gel that converts humid air to water. They come sealed and may last up to 1 month.....the instructions explain. I suggest for 2 months just double the amount you leave open.
Our casual maid who attends our vacant apartment in Jakarta, when we are in Bali, exchanges water-filled packets for new......as well as open all the doors and switch the A/C's to dehumidify for a couple of hours.
Our system has worked well.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Thanks Markit and Davita for suggestions. I think the gel would be the easiest as our pembantu is retained during absences. (1/2 pay). Am trying to avoid carting too much stuff backwards and forwards.
We use a similar product here like crystals which you put in a slotted plastic pot, water absorbed drips through into another pot.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Markit and Davita for suggestions. I think the gel would be the easiest as our pembantu is retained during absences. (1/2 pay). Am trying to avoid carting too much stuff backwards and forwards.
We use a similar product here like crystals which you put in a slotted plastic pot, water absorbed drips through into another pot.

I have the product in my hand. It is made by Bagus called Serapair. It is a single plastic carton with an upper level contains what looks like silica gel as a crystal and, when the seal is broken, it absorbs humidity which falls into the lower tray as water. You know when it is finished when the water rises to a level... then its time to cover, trash and renew.
I would comment on using all fans...they don't cost much to operate but sure keep the air in movement and prevent those bacteria sticking ...usually your wife's best quality ball-gown and your fav jeans are first to be eaten.