Staying for a while, glad to get to know new people

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
Hello,

I'm from Romania, Transylvania region, you know, Dracula's funhouse.
The last time I came to Bali, Covid-19 broke out. After that on my next trip the war in Ukraine broke out. Hopefully my arrival to Bali will not bring any other misfortune to the world.

A few things about me, I'm a Business Consultant and also an employee to a multinational company. So two different activities one person.
You can find out what I do as a BC on my site https://nolimit.consulting/

What I love doing:
- swimming (in my youth I was in the national swimming team)
- traveling and exploring - if you know some secret and awesome places, show me around
- culinary exploration - I love food so I plan to try many things to see what they are and find new favorites
- coaching young entrepreneurs - I love to give back to society and I'll probably organize some events if there is a need
- great discussions and exploring cultures - share your experiences of life with me, I love a good story

I'm looking to make new friends and to learn more about living in Bali.
My first conundrum is finding a used car that I can buy and how to register that :) - maybe someone has a bit of experience with it

SebastienJ

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Sebastien,

regards finding a used car, I would suggest facebook marketplace Denpasar . . . Canggu, Ubud and so forth or most areas have small dealerships if you prefer.

You can also google "mobil dijual di denpasar" which will take you to advertising websites but I think a lot of used sales have moved to fb.

A car is "mobil" whereas a scooter is "motor" and dijual is "For sale"

You could also approach Markit who you have alrady met as I think he recently said he has an Avanza for sale though Ken may have been all over that already ... though it was the wrong colour.

Assuming you are arriving on a touristy visa, you cannot place the car title in your name and you have two options which are really mostly really one.

You can do what almost all locals do and just forget, on the basis of not wanting to pay the cost and tax, to re-register that car simply using your posession of the "book" and the sales recipt as proof of ownership. If something goes wrong the seller will use his recipt to point at you. I am not saying this is right or proper, but this is what is mostly done even by the locals.

The alternative, being you re-register it in a local friends name and then write up a new second sales slip from her/him to you. The question of whether your new friend is more trustworthy than the stranger arises of course and you run ome small risk of paying tax and fees twice on 2 sales not 1.

When it comes to your yearly STNK renewal and 5-yearly plate renewal process you will probably have to use an agent to smooth over the discrepancy in name which will add a few 100s onto the bill.

Things worth noting

+ Check theres a STNK and book when you purcahse and dont be alarmed if the STNK/book is not in the seller's name (see above).

+ Check the renewal year ie 24 etc stamped on the registration plate as it will tell you how long till you must pay to renew the plates.

+ You ought to check the VIN is the same on the book, STNK and chassis (note not the plate screwed onto the engine bay but etched into the chassis)

+ Check where the vehicle is registered as annual and 5 yearly renewals must be conducted at the location of registration ie if you buy a car from Jakarta factor annual road-trips and/or vaastly inflated agent fees. De- and re- registering it runs at a good frw Jt typically.

+ Think in terms of lemon-law squared or to power 100 when buying

+ Second hand cars here command surprisingly high prices and don't apear to depreciate anything like htey do in "the West" -A car for many is still a luxuary product

+ Consider many cars for sale now may have been parked up for 2 - 2 1/2 years during covid and may have rusted up brakes and rotted internals if left sitting with modern bio-fuels for extended periods of time.

+ Consider even well serviced cars may not have been well serviced by the standard of the FSM. For example brake slide pins may be greased with regular rather than silicone grease leading to the failure of the boot and ultimately the brake and again pads/calipers are routinely not lubricated or lubraicated with regular grease not able to cope with the 3/400 degree termpeatuere of operational brakes - ask me how I know this. You get what I mean.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers

Reactions: sakumabali

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sebastien,

regards finding a used car, I would suggest facebook marketplace Denpasar . . . Canggu, Ubud and so forth or most areas have small dealerships if you prefer.

You can also google "mobil dijual di denpasar" which will take you to advertising websites but I think a lot of used sales have moved to fb.

You could also approach Markit who you have alrady met as I think he recently said he has an Avanza for sale though Ken may have been all over that already ... though it was the wrong colour.

Assuming you are arriving on a touristy visa, you cannot place the car title in your name and you have two options which are really mostly really one.

You can do what almost all locals do and just forget, on the basis of not wanting to pay the cost and tax, to re-register that car simply using your posession of the "book" and the sales recipt as proof of ownership. If something goes wrong the seller will use his recipt to point at you. I am not saying this is right or proper, but this is what is mostly done even by the locals.

The alternative, being you re-register it in a local friends name and then write up a new second sales slip from her/him to you. The question of whether your new friend is more trustworthy than the stranger arises of course and you run ome small risk of paying tax and fees twice on 2 sales not 1.

When it comes to your yearly STNK renewal and 5-yearly plate renewal process you will probably have to use an agent to smooth over the discrepancy in name which will add a few 100s onto the bill.

Things worth noting

+ Check theres a STNK and book when you purcahse and dont be alarmed if the STNK/book is not in the seller's name (see above).

+ Check the renewal year ie 24 etc stamped on the registration plate as it will tell you how long till you must pay to renew the plates.

+ You ought to check the VIN is the same on the book, STNK and chassis (note not the plate screwed onto the engine bay but etched into the chassis)

+ Check where the vehicle is registered as annual and 5 yearly renewals must be conducted at the location of registration ie if you buy a car from Jakarta factor annual road-trips and/or vaastly inflated agent fees. De- and re- registering it runs at a good frw Jt typically.

+ Second hand cars here command surprisingly high prices and don't apear to depreciate anything like htey do in "the West" -A car for many is still a luxuary product

+ Consider many cars for sale now may have been parked up for 2 - 2 1/2 years during covid and may have rusted up brakes and rotted internals if left sitting with modern bio-fuels for extended periods of time.

+ Consider even well serviced cars may not have been well serviced by the standard of the FSM. For example brake slide pins may be greased with regular rather than silicone grease leading to the failure of the boot and ultimately the brake and again pads/calipers are routinely not lubricated or lubraicated with regular grease not able to cope with the 3/400 degree termpeatuere of operational brakes - ask me how I know this. You get what I mean.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers
Holy shit! terrifying list of to-does. My car is gone, sorry. The registration is a breeze - pay a local to go hand around the local DMV and do the deed for a couple of red ones.

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
Sebastien,

Things worth noting

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers
Hello Britoo,

That's a comprehensive answer. Great info there. So my best bet is to register it with a local. I was definitely thinking about what regulations they have for roadworthiness and found that it's zero for personal cars :) Hopefully I could find something that runs normally. Good thing these are petrol cars, unlike the burdensome diesels of Europe (damn particle filters!).

I might just hold off on buying one and use Grab to get by. Have to see what are the costs *pulls out spreadsheet*

If you happen to know any car for sale and can vouch for it, I'm all ears.

PS: what's the best way to get on a Kitas? and by best I mean cost effective and efficient.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Sebastien,

Things worth noting

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers
No it is a Suzuki APV , not an Avanza
Yes it's the wrong colour but as poor Markit was desperate for a sale he made a special Friday price for me.
I have paid him a large deposit and will be up early October to get it and sort out the start of my building.

Markit told me to trust him and i can pick it up from him in Gilimanuk.
I thought he lived near Candidasa but he insists I am wrong as he is a fine upstanding member( take that as you want :) ) so I will trust him.

Mind you he hasn't replied to my emails?

Cheers
Tongue in cheek
Ken

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
If your Romanian sisters and or female friend ever pay you a visit in Bali, please let me know and I'll be happy to act as a tour guide

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
If your Romanian sisters and or female friend ever pay you a visit in Bali, please let me know and I'll be happy to act as a tour guide
I have already scheduled a few visits from friends. But first need to arrive and find a normal accommodation. Seems like the overpricing has started heavily.
It's still baffling for me that a place that accommodates tourists cannot receive payments in euros via bank transfer :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have no problem accepting Euros - they land on my US $ account at BNI and are immediately transferred to dollars. No Euro accounts I'm afraid but you can open a Wise online account and then make payments into that in any number of different currencies and convert them in the app into whatever you want or download them to your IDR bank account - takes all of about 30 seconds.

Reactions: JackStraw

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
I have no problem accepting Euros - they land on my US $ account at BNI and are immediately transferred to dollars. No Euro accounts I'm afraid but you can open a Wise online account and then make payments into that in any number of different currencies and convert them in the app into whatever you want or download them to your IDR bank account - takes all of about 30 seconds.
Thank you for the advice.
I am using a company to settle my expenses on so the company is paying that only via bank transfer. A little banking hell but it's good for taxes.