Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

Statue to be largest in the world

Discussion in 'Bali News - Indonesia News' started by balinews, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. balinews

balinews Member

The world's biggest statue is finally taking shape on a hill overlooking Bali's international airport.

Twenty-five years and around $100 million in the making, the enormous copper and brass sculpture is of the Hindu god Wisnu astride the mythical bird Garuda.

[​IMG] Photo: Garuda's concrete and steel skeleton. (ABC News: Adam Harvey)

After years of planning, re-designs, cash shortages and stop-start construction, sculptor Nyoman Nuarta says the project should be finished next September.

And the final phase — the fitting of the sculpture's skin to the concrete and steel skeleton — is well underway.

The copper and brass claws of Garuda are finally gripping an enormous, purpose-built, concrete pedestal.

It should be relatively straightforward, compared to the complex engineering and fundraising for the private project.

"I no longer think about making profit from this project but I just want to work and finish this project because this is my dignity — my family's and mine — that's at stake. So it has to be completed," said Mr Nyoman, speaking to the ABC at his workshop in Bandung, on the island of Java.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...s-biggest-statue-garuda-wisnu-kencana/8600760

2. Markit

Markit Well-Known Member

Wow I think it's really great that a 3rd world country with shitty hospitals, schools and a corrupt legal system can scrape up the money to build a really, really expensive and big statue to someone that nobody has ever seen or will see in the middle of an earthquake zone.

Seems like a really good idea since I've changed my meds.

sakumabali and Melati like this.
  3. tintin

tintin Active Member

Twenty-five years and around $100 million in the making, and they manage to come up two lousy meters shorter than the 128-meter Vairocana Buddha in Lushan, China!? Couldn't they have added a 2 meters + hat or something on Vishnu's head and, at least, "justify" the time and money expended?

4. Melati

Melati Member

what for? to attract more tourists? who are the sponsors? people from Jakarta? how it could benefit to the locals?