Robsail

Jun 21, 2012
Hi All ,
I have recently bought a place in the Canggu area .
It came complete with staff , 2 pembantu , 1 gardener. I was told the girls get paid 1.5 M per month 6 days x 8 hours , and gardner is now on 1.5M 6 days , 7 hours a day. None live on site.

What is the going rate , or what are people paying these days?
How much is difference between an experienced staff and not?
Do you increase pay each year?
They have asked for a bonus for xmas (one is christian) , do you pay all (how much), or just the Christian?
What is the nice way to dismiss staff , if you don't want / need them?
One has asked for a 50% increase after 6 months?
Also extra money for religion, what is this mean? Is this normal?

These are all questions or things that have come up over last few months , so appreciate any input and advice

Thanks

Rob

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
Bonus is 1 month salary. For Christians its given at Christmas, for Hindus at nyepi and Muslims get 1/2 on 2 of their holidays.

I pay my maid and gardener/poolboy the same, being 500k/month each.
The maid works 3 days a week for 2h.
The gardener/poolboy 2 days a week for 2h
So what u pay yous staff isn't much at all, although I know some pay even less.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The rates you quote are a bit high-ish for elsewhere in Bali, but could well be the going rate in Canggu. Annual increases just to keep up with inflation would be a good idea. Currently inflation is maybe about 8% per year.

Two full-time pembantus seems a bit over the top, but the idea of firing one should be approached carefully. If one went, then I would be tempted not to replace her. (But the other may then feel aggrieved.)

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Im trying to understand why you would need a gardener for that length of time every week? and agree with Ronb, 2 pembantu ? Why couldnt one of them do the gardening?
We have one pembantu & she does all the cleaning, washing ect plus garden and she still gets bored....
50% increase :icon_eek:

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Dunno how big your garden is but a gardener who works 42 hours / week? I have my gardener twice a month (for maybe one are garden), he needs then a couple of hours and all is done

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Agree with Gibbndip my pembantu water the grass / trees almost every morning and collect some leaves etc

aniani

Sep 11, 2012
what is the situation with staff termination if you can't afford to keep all of them and need to reduce overheads.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I would suggest that you proceed cautiously. One way would be to keep them all at the beginning and over time let natural attrition achieve the down-scaling you want.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
what is the situation with staff termination if you can't afford to keep all of them and need to reduce overheads.

One month severance (tunjangan) is required by government regulations, but I guess many businesses won't even pay this, especially if performance is poor.