Staff copying debit card numbers

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have a BCA card and I have found more businesses have a debit terminal so I have been using that more often, especially with so many people having problems with ATMs getting skimmed.

I have noticed though at some places, they write down your number and save it in their computer. I wonder why they do this. I know they have been told to do it by their boss. I can't see a reason why they would do this.

It seems like quite a security risk. The computers are probably running outdated, unlicensed versions of Windows.

Reactions: Liliana

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have a BCA card and I have found more businesses have a debit terminal so I have been using that more often, especially with so many people having problems with ATMs getting skimmed.

I have noticed though at some places, they write down your number and save it in their computer. I wonder why they do this. I know they have been told to do it by their boss. I can't see a reason why they would do this.

It seems like quite a security risk. The computers are probably running outdated, unlicensed versions of Windows.

I remember reading about this elsewhere but cannot find. My recall is it is an illegal act but many stores still do it.
If anyone has found the law please post here.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I have gone to all cash for any transaction in Indonesia except for plane tickets and other online purchases where cash payment is impractical or impossible. Too much skimming, shenanigans and callous disregard for security. I think the chances of being ripped off using a credit or debit card, both at shops/restaurants and atms, are much higher than getting physically robbed.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I would guess it is like taking a passport number or driving license number - just some insurance should there subsequently be a problem. Others knowing your card number (which is not the account number) does not seem a security risk.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I would guess it is like taking a passport number or driving license number - just some insurance should there subsequently be a problem. Others knowing your card number (which is not the account number) does not seem a security risk.
If a shop has your credit card number and card expiry date it is easy with an FTPos machine to do a MOTO ( Mail order Telephone Order) transaction after you have left the store. It does not require them to have your pin number. It is a facility that enables a business to take a payment for a telephone order without the card or the owner being present. If you see a store recording your numbers then it behoves you to check your statements when you get them to see there have been no unauthorized transactions.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Bali is a cesspit for debit/credit card fraud. Pay only in cash until the banks and other card issuers feel enough pain from lost commissions to clean up the system. Plus, merchants avoid having to pay their own bank commissions for card purchases, so the local economy benefits as well.

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Except a few major hotel bills, never paid here with my CC.

But used my french CC and HKG ATM card very regulary.

Again, I am here only since 8 months....

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Many restaurants give big discounts to CC payers. My wife's friend has about every CC issued by banks and, when the girls do lunch, she pays with the CC that gets the best discount and the girls pay her.