Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have often thought that it would be good if when a thread "goes off the rails" that the admin could place a "Notice Diversion" message in the offended thread and move that section of the discussion to a sort of drainage area where those that wanted to could discuss their fantasies further but those that wanted to stay with the original thread would be still able to find it where it was started?

Would that be possible? Of any interest?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I have done it before, Markit, i.e. split a thread and started a new topic with the off-topic posts. It's not so easy to do on this board, but it is possible.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have done it before, Markit, i.e. split a thread and started a new topic with the off-topic posts. It's not so easy to do on this board, but it is possible.

That's a pity Mats 'coz that is the answer. An example is the one that I posted in "Dengue Fever". There are many subjects within the thread that would be interesting in isolation but if it's too difficult then someone should have the ability to make it easy for you.

Maybe Market could help...I read he was previously in computer programming or similar.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
The problem is Davita, if the thread is split like that, the mod has to assign a title to new thread and then decide where to move it (which forum).

It's very time consuming and there is the possibility of losing the posts altogether, if it's not done correctly. I know from experience. I lost about 50 posts from a thread once before, because the posts were spread over several pages and my internet connection went down in the middle of splitting. I haven't tried it again.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The problem is Davita, if the thread is split like that, the mod has to assign a title to new thread and then decide where to move it (which forum).

It's very time consuming and there is the possibility of losing the posts altogether, if it's not done correctly. I know from experience. I lost about 50 posts from a thread once before, because the posts were spread over several pages and my internet connection went down in the middle of splitting. I haven't tried it again.

I'd bet that your internet connection is much better than it was then? It seems that the member could "name" the new thread. For example Davita sees a "diversion" and makes a posting to you adding a posting to the thread with the suggested "diversion" name.

Is that too complicated?

P

paulseawind

It depends on the architecture of the controlling software.
Some mouse clicks and selections from drop-down lists then 'OK" and the workload is transferred to the server, from the client, which stays up even without 'Net connectivity.
Happens all the time in the real world.

But, why bother. This is not the Kremlin or the White House.

davita

Mar 13, 2012

I understand Mats and as it seems you are the one I berate I apologise......as I'm aware you volunteer and do your best.
Many other forums seem to manage to keep the threads form spreading so I thought it similar here. I know nothing about servers and webhosting but I'm sure there are enough members in that field who have ideas...maybe start a new thread asking for those ideas or how it's done on other forums.
I'm friendly with some moderators elsewhere so I'll ask around.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
No need to apologise, Davita. I hope you found this "new" thread.

I just did and it is exactly how I imagined others could be...this new thread follows from the beginning without confusion and the other can maintain it's intent, for further posts, on that subject....well done M'lady (Ok here I go wandering off to the Pistorious case hehehe J/K)

Market might have a good idea of asking the OP for a new title or you could decide it yourself....would suit me so long as logic and chronology was maintained.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
This one was easy to split because all the posts after a certain point could be moved to the new thread. The difficulty lies in deciding which posts to move to a new thread when several subjects are discussed in one thread and the posts jump backwards and forwards between the subjects.

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
This one was easy to split because all the posts after a certain point could be moved to the new thread. The difficulty lies in deciding which posts to move to a new thread when several subjects are discussed in one thread and the posts jump backwards and forwards between the subjects.

That is true. It also requires manual work. Members are welcome to start a new topic at any point. Suggestions to improve the forum are always welcome.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
That is true. It also requires manual work. Members are welcome to start a new topic at any point. Suggestions to improve the forum are always welcome.

That's a good point. We all have to make the effort so that distractions shouldn't hijack the OP's thread. I know we are all culpable, myself included, so before changing subject we should ask ourselves...could this be a new thread.....and create one.
I also think adding the subject line of the original thread (in brackets) might help to maintain the connection.

P

paulseawind

adding the subject line of the original thread (in brackets) might help to maintain the connection.

Why use parentheses? Which begs the question what will not be in parentheses?

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
This is all very interesting, but my hamster gave birth yesterday. Let's all talk about that instead.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
This is all very interesting, but my hamster gave birth yesterday. Let's all talk about that instead.

You are a bad boy SamD.....your hamster giving birth should be in the 'Nothing to do with Bali' or, if you're selling the offspring, the 'Non-commercial classifieds' sections.

Doesn't anyone pay attention...no wonder Matsaleh drinks...:cupcake: