Smokers Delight!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have spent my valuable time (2 fecking years!!) during the pandemic NOT making sourdough stuff but have spent quality time building a smoker and learning the art of smoking.

Possibly not the best thing for my waistline but heaps more fun than tending some fetid "starter" (which died repeatedly).

This is the result for Christmas day:

1) picture after 4 hours smoking.
2) picture after 1 hour barbecuing in the smoker.

Please post your accolades, praise and pledges of fealty after. WhatsApp Image 2021-12-25 at 3.09.09 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-12-25 at 4.44.12 PM.jpeg

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Why are chickens so small in Bali in relation to others in Aus, UK, USA etc.. is it just the breed or what.
A bbq chicken from Bintang is the size of a pigeon and barely feeds 2, whereas one from Coles or Woolies is enough for a family with left overs.
Should we try and introduce a new breed which can feed more people, lay bigger eggs?

Reactions: Chris W and tel522

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Why are chickens so small in Bali in relation to others in Aus, UK, USA etc.. is it just the breed or what.
A bbq chicken from Bintang is the size of a pigeon and barely feeds 2, whereas one from Coles or Woolies is enough for a family with left overs.
Should we try and introduce a new breed which can feed more people, lay bigger eggs?
The local chickens have a life expectancy of 18 days from chick to pot.

I suspect if they were allowed to age longer they would also get bigger - in the local market I've had up to 1.5kg birds but these pictured (800g each) were supplied to me by a local restaurant which he got for IDR45/kg.

They weren't the birds I would have picked but you work with what you get.

In future I'm going for just breasts as there's more meat and they're the same price. The Indonesians have yet to grasp differing pricing for different cuts of anything, local filet = IDR100/kg, local beef asshole = IDR100/kg. Go figure

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What sort of wood are you using?
I started out thinking it makes a lot of difference and really went out of my way to get coffee and chocolate woods BUT they seemed to make no real difference in the flavors of the finished product.

I will only warn of the one wood to avoid - mango it is way too strong and leaves everything tasting totally like burned mangoes.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The tannin in the bark makes the smoke bitter.
Sounds like what the English call too much "faff". There is so much just plain wood around that gives food that lovely smokey flavor I've completely gone off finding precious (and expensive) special woods. But thanks for the tip - if I run into it I'll give it a shot.