Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Being the conscientious new owner of a motorbike (ok, scooter, but a very manly one) I've now noticed a hygiene concern not mentioned in any "Dear Abby" or the like and it has to do with having sweated buckets into my new helmet it now has begun to smell like it's been sweated into and not washed.

I can't seem to see any way, short of destruction, of taking the lining/cushions/polystyrene out and doing a general cleaning on it.

What do the rest of you do? Buy a new helmet every month? smell equally bad? Use deodorant on your head?

Maybe I should start smoking again, the world was a less bad smelling place.

For me anyway.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
What brand is your helmet? For most of the reasonable brands (INK, BMC, KYT), the lining is fitted with studs and is removable for washing. Take your helmet back to where you bought it and ask them how to remove the lining.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
there are plenty of laundries now doing cuci helm , costs 15k takes 1 or 2 days , problem solved !

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thank you all so much - in all honesty I was loath to check too hard if the linings were removable at the risk of destroying it.

They are and I probably will anyway - lottsa thumbs since I have staff to do most stuff.

Idea - give helmet to staff to clean...

P

paulseawind

Thank you all so much - in all honesty I was loath to check too hard if the linings were removable at the risk of destroying it.

They are and I probably will anyway - lottsa thumbs since I have staff to do most stuff.

Idea - give helmet to staff to clean...

That's exactly what I did. I'd take the helm to the kitchen, show Ketut, and say 'can you please klin'. It would be ready to use again late in the afternoon. Just pick a sunny
day so the pads can dry.

One thing I did notice is my hair smelled like a basket of fresh laundry for the first few uses because she'd use Rinso!

The first time she did it she also went right over the outside and cleaned the black paintwork. I was really impressed, but these Balinese are immensely resourceful. I just wasn't expecting that to be done. All I ever had to do for maintenance was super glue the edging rubber back on a couple of times and that was very easy and took less than 2 minutes each time.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
In future you could also consider wearing a helmet liner, sort of like a skull cap that absorbs the moisture and is a hell of lot easier to clean than the helmet itself.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In future you could also consider wearing a helmet liner, sort of like a skull cap that absorbs the moisture and is a hell of lot easier to clean than the helmet itself.

Mark I thought of that too but since I'm bathed in sweat whenever I put the helmet on I thought that the liner would be just one more thing to wash?

Where would one get this helmet liner?

Last edited:

Apocalypse69

Jul 26, 2011
Gatot Subroto
Put a handful of coffee beans, wrapped in tissue, and leave it overnight and the smell will be gone. I use that trick for my smelly trainers and it works a treat.

G

Gurkha

To get rid of the smell, sprinkle some vanilla essence onto the liner. Leave it in the sun and Shave your head.

P

paulseawind

Here's some 'information' on why the smell gets there in the first place. It's a light read of good info.

What are silica gel bags for?

And make sure to read the section near the end of the article: "No more smelly gym bags"

It seems that if you don a smelly helm or stinky shoes, you are covering yourself with (a lot of) bacteria. Not a nice thought.

Coffee beans, uncooked rice, silica gel bags. Think about it. Getting a smelly helm here in Bali in the hotter and wetter months would be a common event, which is (probably) why those helm washing places exist in the first place. But, prevention is better than cure. Wish I knew all this 3 years ago. I am going to find where to buy silica gel.

P

paulseawind

Just let it be known you have head lice...

Thing is if you do let everyone borrow it, you will have...

Nope. That won't work.
You simply have to say NO and they will pi$$ off.
Head lice, HIV, no money, they won't give a $hit.
They will want to borrow anyway, to avoid the fine.
How many times do you see some idiot riding along without the chinstrap secured. Often.
They haven't a clue.
And these helmets - you might as well wear alfoil on your head, for all the protection you will get.

You need to lock it away and just say No. It is that simple.
And in Blimbingsari, the same applies as in busy Kuta or quiet Karangasem.

Just say No. End of story. Tell them 'Buy your own one'. Fk off. Whatever it takes.

And, if you do loan it out, what will you get back in return. Maybe their dog pi$$ed on it.
Maybe the cat crapped in it.
Who knows.

Just say No and leave it at that. Fk 'em. Get their own and then everyone can borrow theirs.